Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using lower bed for carrying bibs & bobs

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm going on a long week end away soon for a fishing trip and I thought being only me in the van it would be convenient to just pull the bottom bed out and and place my things on top
So much easier than to cram things on the floor space
Of course one would need to make sure items are not going to slide off as soon as the brakes are applied!

Any body had experience of doing this or any comments

Alan

I'm going on a long week end away soon for a fishing trip and I thought being only me in the van it would be convenient to just pull the bottom bed out and and place my things on top
So much easier than to cram things on the floor space
Of course one would need to make sure items are not going to slide off as soon as the brakes are applied!

Any body had experience of doing this or any comments

Alan
Probably safer pulling the lower seat forward and using space behind

On the odd occasion I use my Cali as a van to carry something big I fold the bed flat and lay things on top, I use the seat belts to secure the load. It works well.

anyone tried to get back seat out and put it back in again with backrest facing windscreen ?

more space for loading big/long items , seat can stay inside vehicle, backrest protects front seats from load.

more space for loading big/long items , seat can stay inside vehicle, backrest protects front seats from load.
Ah, I see.Good idea. Don't see why it couldn't be done, but I think, haven't measured it, that the seat runners may not be equidistant from the seat edges so the seat can only be fitted facing in 1 direction.

If it went in you might never get it out again.
As I understand it you have to jam a screwdriver or similar in the hole in the seat side to release the runners from the tracks.
Unless this this hole is duplicated on the passenger side you'd be stuffed.

It won't fit facing backwards as the distance to the edge of the seat from the rails is different on each side.
Was it someone on here that fitted the seat into a conversion with the sliding door on the other side, I seem to remember there was quite a lot of work needed to the seat cushions to make them fit.

Back