Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using as a trans-it van

G

gatvol

All

Over the next month or so I am having to move "nice" gear on a 2h journey (beds, TVs, soft furnishings, boxes ...), there will be no nasty rubble/ rusty stuff etc. I can either hire a tranny van or I am considering using my California. I also own a volvo estate, but the big items that need the extra space are the king size beds. I travel to and from this place regularly so multiple trips represents no issue

The quilts, pillows etc will protect the van, so I am not worried about damaging the interior at all

Has anyone removed the rear seats from their Cali pls ? Any tips on how to do it without causing any damage as it would be a truly flase economy to damage the seat mechanism to save a tranny hire fee. I am nervous about removing the seats as the sliding mechanism does not feel 100% and I have to pull the lever to the very top to slide the seats

I might be lucky in which case I drive with the lower bed down and put the kingsize mattress on top, but I am a bit rusty on pythagaros' theory these days

Thanks all

Use a hire van.
Had to collect an engine not that long ago and that was not going in the Cali!

I've got a beach and took out the middle row of seats and pushed the rear bench all the way forward so I could haul nearly a tonne of split firewood. Padded the inside of the van with cardboard boxes and an old wool rug. It worked fine with no damage at all. Also gave me a good feeling about how useful my Cali is.

I must admit however to being very aware that one scrape on the rear bumper (or any other damage) would make my haulage choice very expensive and a lot of hassle (to get repaired).

If I'm honest, the reason I used the van is because it was easier than the hassle of picking up/dropping off a hire vehicle.

I think be careful with the interior as custardtart did and padded it out ... :thumb
It makes the cali even more versatile ,so getting more value for money out of it and remember they are transporters at heart :D

choplee said:
I think be careful with the interior as custardtart did and padded it out ... :thumb
It makes the cali even more versatile ,so getting more value for money out of it and remember they are transporters at heart :D

I've used the cali a couple of times for work when i was desperate. Was a bit of a worry carrying sharp tools and adhesives that i have a habit of spilling but up till now no problems.
As above i made sure everything was covered up.
I leave the bench seat in but slide it forward as far as it'll go and wedge the rear parcel shelf/cushion in front of it.
Surprising what you can fit in there!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back