Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Used Cali Prices - % markup

D

danny13

VIP Member
Having researched the used cali prices interested to see what peoples view is regarding markup.

Normally when advertising a car/camper you'll state a price which is obviously higher than the lowest price you'll happily take...to cover off the inevitable potential buyers bartering.

Having looked at the previous used sales it appears that most vans are 'overpriced' by 5-10%, obviously on a £35k+ purchase 10% is not an insignificant amount.

Anyone care to comment on what their initial advertised price was compared to deal price?

I recently talked a deal to buy a used Cali (6 months old and 60 miles) advertised for £43k and best I could get to was £41k. I decided to buy new but the dealer told me they'd sold the same van for the screen price to someone else.

There is a very nice used one in a private sale on here if it suited you.

Cheers Stu,

That is pretty much in line with what I figured for dealers...

Up to 10% off retail price for a new one, used about 5%...

What about the private used? Some private ones that haven't sold for months would to me indicate either in a difficult selling location (i.e. Inverness) or somewhat overpriced. The vans that sell in days seem to be bang on market value. So for a van advertised at £36k (for a while) would you expect to be making a deal at £33-34k?

I know it is subjective and depends on the vehicle....

Hi danny13 welcome to the forum :hello

When I was looking for a Cali either new or used I found that I really couldn't get any where near the discount that i would expect buying "a normal car"

They really do hold their value and then some!

It's Cali season Danny, so in many respects not the time to be trying to buy one - even though lots of us are and that is why the prices are buoyant. :doh

Dealer margin in a new van is 8%, they have other revenue streams depending on hitting targets etc but for them to eat into that is a gamble.

Remember when looking at the likes of Parkers etc they are 'Price Guides', something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it so values are driven by the market supply and demand.

If for instance you look at 6 Cali's, all of similar spec and all have an asking price of within a couple of £k of each other then I think you must assume that is going to be what you need to pay regardless of what you think or what a price guide says. You can rule out stupidly priced vans as they will stick out head and shoulders above the others.

I reckon we did well with our cali - bought in october 2009 from our local dealer (ex demo with 1400 miles) top spec with pretty much everything except the satnav.
Sticker price was £38k we knocked them down to £35.5k
Though i don't look that often when i do i'm still seeing cali's of that age being advertised for around what we paid so don't think we would lose much if we were to sell.