Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Updated Bolt-on Cali and T5/6 Solar Panels for 2017

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, an update to our panels this year. You may know we make bolt on 100w (and 200w) solar panel kits for the Cali (in all variations) and the T5/6 with VW roof slots, all which require no drilling of holes.

The latest batch of panels are sourced from a new UK supplier offering a robust warranty to us, which means I can continue to offer a no quibble warranty.

To stop vibrations/resonance, we now install lateral strengthing braces on the plastic panels. See below. This is not normally an issue but we have had feedback from faster drivers (Autobahn!) so have addressed the issue for all.

For the T5/T6 kit (non-cali) we continue to use the silver aluminium thin panels as they span a greater distance and their rigidity suits the application better.

We are also frequrently now selling 200w kits. Essentially two 100w kits with a bigger MPPT charger. The panels plug into each other, so are expandable.

IMG_3759%20Medium_zpsytdzssi7.jpg

IMG_3756%20Medium_zpslowj0trp.jpg

IMG_3755%20Medium_zpsvrjrduo6.jpg

200w would probably work as an off grid solution? Very nice clean look, I do love solar.

Nice.
200w would probably work as an off grid solution?
Yep. Getting to be really useful at that level. My 60w and the 100w's help you stay out longer. With 200w you may not have to come back!

Edit: I note from Roger's website, he claims 100w is 'enough', but I live in the North....

Hi Roger,

I decided to roll my own so to speak because the one drawback I saw with the displays is that you need to hack about at the van to get them readily accessible. There is another solution, i.e. the Victron MPTT controllers (there are a few threads on here with info on them) they have a Bluetooth interface, so you can use your phone or tablet as the display. With the bolt on kit this would mean you aren't doing any permanent damage to the van (except for stowing the controller in a cupboard or in the case of the Beach by the tool kit.)

I think it would also be cost effective as you don't need the display which with your current spec is an extra. My Victron cost about £80 on fleabay including postage, so you should be able to source these at volumes a lot cheaper.

Just a thought - maybe you could offer these as an option?

PS Agree wholeheartedly with the bracing - I had to make several changes to my setup to kill the vibration which seemed to come in at about 60mph. All sorted now though with some judicious usage of draft strip and pipe lagging :)

Hi all, an update to our panels this year. You may know we make bolt on 100w (and 200w) solar panel kits for the Cali (in all variations) and the T5/6 with VW roof slots, all which require no drilling of holes.

The latest batch of panels are sourced from a new UK supplier offering a robust warranty to us, which means I can continue to offer a no quibble warranty.

To stop vibrations/resonance, we now install lateral strengthing braces on the plastic panels. See below. This is not normally an issue but we have had feedback from faster drivers (Autobahn!) so have addressed the issue for all.

For the T5/T6 kit (non-cali) we continue to use the silver aluminium thin panels as they span a greater distance and their rigidity suits the application better.

We are also frequrently now selling 200w kits. Essentially two 100w kits with a bigger MPPT charger. The panels plug into each other, so are expandable.
Pics removed:

It's something that I am seriously considering, and I do like @Bramco idea of a no damage installation. I've heard the installation is idiot proof and that suits me fine !

..message ends..

Yes - 200watts certainly puts you off grid for autumn summer and spring, whereas, 100W is more summer based. I find that 100W is fine for a fridge running on medium, phone charging, and some music, in the summer.

Having 200W is nice, but obviously costs nearly twice as much (the second panel is discounted a bit). Hence 100Watts is what I'd call regular, and 200Watts = luxury.

The chargers I sell all have built in LCD displays so you don't need the MT50 display - so no drilling at all - but clearly you need to open the cupboard if you like to check up on your solar performance. I'll look at sourcing some of the Victron Bluetooth chargers. I already buy their dual battery chargers for specific customers - they are very good quality, and they should be for the price.

I've got a supply of Victron chargers now, with the optional Bluetooth modules. They are very impressive, particularly if you like to customise your battery charging profile, or look at historical logs.

If you want to order a kit with one let me know and I will raise a specific order as I have not updated my website yet.

One feature that particularly stands out is the ability to enable an equalisation charge schedule (where the charger limits the current for a set period of time to allow all the cells in your battery/ies to even out. This is the same as the "conditioning" that VW refers to when recommending your charger your battery from the mains once a month. On the software you can enable a monthly auto equalisation charge.

A nice MPPT charger , with no screen to install, as it's all on your phone.

Victron%2075-15%20with%20BT_zpsmi1u1o2v.jpg

Victron%20BT%20main_zps8ftqrdvg.jpg

Victron%20BT%20battery%20settings_zpsi3dnlbd3.jpg

Victron%20BT%20history_zpsypiopsx8.jpg

Victron%20BT%20non%20user%20settings_zpsvmeukgnu.jpg

I knew you'd like them once you got to play with one Roger. Hope the new season will bring lots of orders!

EDIT Roger, one thing I had to do was to make sure the bluetooth connector didn't rattle free. I just put a piece of tape round the whole thing to make sure it didn't drop out. You might want to do that so that folks won't think the system has packed in when only the connector has dropped out due to vibration. Depends a lot on how you mount the controller of course.

Thanks Simon - a good point - I noticed the connector doesn't "click" home when you plug it in.

Hope it saves you from any warranty issues :thumb

The Victron chargers are now a selectable option on our website. I am only supplying the 15Amp version as it's only £10 more than the 10Amp version, but means you can keep it if you buy a 100w panel, and then decide to add another panel in the future.

Roger, excellent work. Will you ship outside of UK?
I am located in Sweden.

I am in Sweden and got the 100w solar panel from Roger last week. Installed it this weekend and the battery is now fully charged. I installed it on my roof box for now. Fast delivery and an easy install.

Indeed - my site will work out the shipping for you.

Regards

Roger

I am in Sweden and got the 100w solar panel from Roger last week. Installed it this weekend and the battery is now fully charged. I installed it on my roof box for now. Fast delivery and an easy install.
I have had that thought – mounting it on the roof box. How did you do that?

I thought we might need 200w since sun is so low here?

2017-04-04 07.09.47.jpg
I have had that thought – mounting it on the roof box. How did you do that?
I asked Roger for some extra length on the cable. I had to modify the aluminum lists on the short sides to get the panel lower on the box (sorry Roger) and I added extra foam padding on these. 4 holes using the same bolts supplied by Roger. I used the corner holes in the panel to be safe. An extra hole for the wire to go through the box. I used a cable hose from the panel to the roof bar and silicone to seal, all from Biltema;). @kave: Hard to say if you need 200w, when the sun was out I got 5 amps and 2 even when it was cloudy.

Last edited:
Nice adaptation - I like it! :Stig

Update - please don't do this - it broke the panel within a few months due to the upwards (and almost certainly wind) stress under the panel.

Last edited:
I like the look of these kits. Does anyone with one fitted experience any wind noise with then panel (whilst travelling)?

Charles

Obviously I am not the best refrence for feedback, but I will say that a lot of customers ask about this, and I've never been told it makes any noise - and I'd expect to have been told by now as I get a lot of constructive feedback from customers that are keen to help.

Thanks Roger. One of these panels is high on my list of upgrades. First, I've got to recover from the cost of buying the vehicle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,
I have installed the two panel delight that Roger supplies, with the Bluetooth doodads and I have to say it's awesome! No wind noise or rattle at all. Easy to install with great instructions and Roger was always quick with replies to questions and a gold mine of information.
Would highly recommend!!
Andy

Hi everyone,
I have installed the two panel delight that Roger supplies, with the Bluetooth doodads and I have to say it's awesome! No wind noise or rattle at all. Easy to install with great instructions and Roger was always quick with replies to questions and a gold mine of information.
Would highly recommend!!
Andy
Thanks for the feedback!

Charles

Good to hear Andy ;-)

Roger, may be a daft question but as you know VW recommend popping the batteries on EHU once a month if not in regular use:

Presuming then that as a solar panel is always on that an EHU now and again is not necessary any more as the constant charge from solar fulfils this function? ie there is no difference in the charge from mains 240v via the onboard VW charger vs the contant solar charge (weather permitting) via your control unit?

Back