Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres advice

Open_road!

Open_road!

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Some time ago I got carried away with some slinky looking wheels for our cali, but my choice of tyres has let me down……. It’s running on nexen 255/45/18’s and I’ve spent a few years struggling to pull away when one or other of the water/waste tanks are full are full and my hobbies of choice generally land me in a grassy/muddy field with the worry of needing to get a tow out by the end of the weekend (never actually happened but that’s down to more luck than judgement!!)….. I don’t give a hoot about road noise, just need some traction…… any advice gratefully received!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some time ago I got carried away with some slinky looking wheels for our cali, but my choice of tyres has let me down……. It’s running on nexen 255/45/18’s and I’ve spent a few years struggling to pull away when one or other of the water/waste tanks are full are full and my hobbies of choice generally land me in a grassy/muddy field with the worry of needing to get a tow out by the end of the weekend (never actually happened but that’s down to more luck than judgement!!)….. I don’t give a hoot about road noise, just need some traction…… any advice gratefully received!!!

How much money do you want to spend ?

How much money do you want to spend ?

It’s becoming a bit of an issue so if it brings back my confidence in going off a major a road in it anytime between October and April
…. Then it’ll be worth it!!!

Michelin agilis cross climate van is supposed to be excellent. More aggressive than the cross climate 2.
If he wanted to keep his rims, he would have to go with cross climate 2. Agilis only come in 15",16"and 17" sizes.

Without wanting to hijack the OP's thread, does anyone know what the difference is between the 3 different types of Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tyres? I see all of these mentioned online but no comparisons. Any personal experiences with the Van or Camping version? Or are Van and Camping the same thing in this case?

Michelin Agilis Crossclimate
Michelin Agilis Crossclimate Van (mentioned in this thread)
Michelin Agilis Crossclimate Camping

Without wanting to hijack the OP's thread, does anyone know what the difference is between the 3 different types of Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tyres? I see all of these mentioned online but no comparisons. Any personal experiences with the Van or Camping version? Or are Van and Camping the same thing in this case?

Michelin Agilis Crossclimate
Michelin Agilis Crossclimate Van (mentioned in this thread)
Michelin Agilis Crossclimate Camping
Well the last one, Camping, only available in 15" and 16".

It’s becoming a bit of an issue so if it brings back my confidence in going off a major a road in it anytime between October and April
…. Then it’ll be worth it!!!

Here’s my rub.
Suits my lifestyle.
Oct to April. Continental Winter Contact 255/45r18 on my Palmerstons for low road noise, and snow and low temperatures. Also for Europe work.
April to Sept, Tomahawk Kato’s with 1250Kg load rating with Michelin Agilis cross climate 235/70r17 118 load rating.
For spring/ summer / autumn camping wet fields, grass, and anything it wants to throw at me.
Expensive but should last me around 8 years now as sharing my 10k p.a. Mileage.
You pays your money and makes your choices.

BTW, been there with AT tyres and they are LOUD.
BFG & Comforser 235/65r17’s

Well the last one, Camping, only available in 15" and 16".
Thanks @WelshGas I will do some more reading. Our van came with tyres and winter tyres and to be honest I don;t know all that much about 'm and although I like th elook of people's vans with wider and larger tyres, I honestly have no idea what the differences are between say 15, 16, 17 or 18 inch tyres (other then their size). Will research some more and maybe come back with a new thread and many questions about tyres. ;-)

Thanks @WelshGas I will do some more reading. Our van came with tyres and winter tyres and to be honest I don;t know all that much about 'm and although I like th elook of people's vans with wider and larger tyres, I honestly have no idea what the differences are between say 15, 16, 17 or 18 inch tyres (other then their size). Will research some more and maybe come back with a new thread and many questions about tyres. ;-)
The vast majority of UK Californias come with 17" wheels. The SE and Ocean have larger front brakes so minimum wheel size is 17" . I believe the basic Beach came with standard front brakes so could have 16" wheels.
VW approved wheel sizes 16,17,18, if fitted with VW approved tyre sizes all have the same diameter/circumference so the larger wheel + tyre will have lower side walls and different tyre pressures.

As a proven fit by many Cali owners with all wheel sizes the Michelin CrossClimate will suit all normal on and off road use.

There other alternatives but for a proven straight tyre replacement with only the cost being an initial negative

example source

235/55/18 104 tyres can also be used, Noticeable cost saving. VW supplied 235/50/18 101 for vans but load rating is marginal.

Last edited:
Back