Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre wear - uh oh..

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
On just over 9k miles and the front tyres are looking rather worn, more so on the outer edges.

What have you peeps used as replacements on a 4Motion? The Dunlop seems okay but maybe a bit daft on a van. Wondering about something a little more "all weather" style although really I'd need to replace all four at once (the rears still seem okay).

And the front need replacing on the car too - oh wallet pain!

All 4 is not something you relish at Xmas time :laugh2

If your rears are significantly better than the front then you may be able to recoup some outlay by selling them to a FWD owner.

KernowLad said:
On just over 9k miles and the front tyres are looking rather worn, more so on the outer edges.

What have you peeps used as replacements on a 4Motion? The Dunlop seems okay but maybe a bit daft on a van. Wondering about something a little more "all weather" style although really I'd need to replace all four at once (the rears still seem okay).

And the front need replacing on the car too - oh wallet pain!

That's terrible.
My 4 Motion's getting 3 times that with simple Goodyear Cargos.
Mine's 16s are you on bigger wheels?

I'm due to replace all 4 in the next couple of months so'll be keen to hear what others think.

They're 17s in 235/55 tyre size. Will get them properly checked but they're definitely wearing fast. I drive it pretty carefully; no point trying to do anything else in a three tonne van!

My fronts are nearly worn out at 14500 miles & rears got some to go, but mine is not 4 motion.
That's in Milton Keynes where with all the roundabouts it has a reputation for killing front tyres.

Checked the pressures today and there were all a fair bit down - TPMS only works if one pressure is different to the rest. They were just over 30PSi! So back up to 45 per corner - this may have caused the slightly uneven wear (pressures drop as the air temp lowers). Anyway they are still on 5+mm (ish) so have a fair bit left in them but I tend to change my tyres waaay before they get anywhere near the 1.6mm limit.

Hopefully there's a few more K left in them but it won't be a lot more on the fronts. My Golf R32 (also 4Motion) wore it's tyres exactly evenly front and rear!

The chart in the door frame says 45 for my tyre size too. Usually check more often but I can't find my pressure gauge since moving house!!

I think mine says 39psi at rear and 44 for the front (based on normal load)..has anyone else seen this and do they ignore the rear requirement and load all 4 tyres at 45psi ?

I use the Tyre Dog monitoring system as it is my daily driver, it may be an expensive toy but I appear to be getting an extra 3-5 mpg since using it. I do end up blowing up the tyres once per week now but for safety and saving money I feel it is a small price to pay. also I can take it with me and put on my next vehicle when I sell.

If you shop round you can pick them up for under £100

http://www.tyredog.com.au

My wife has a BMW 325 MSport Coupe which has stepped wheels (much wider on the back than the front). The point I'm making is that when any tyre goes down only a couple of psi the steering becomes really heavy - you can't not notice it and then you do something about it.

Unfortunately, our 57 Plate 5-pot 4Motion is quite different.

A tyre has to drop to below 20 psi before I notice it in the steering (and believe me after a 20 years of my wife's 3 series I am VERY sensitive to steering feel) and then it's only under odd circumstances (like accelerating in 3rd out of a roundabout). What this really means is that whereas it's NEVER necessary to check the wife's wagon with a psi guauge, it's necessary to check the Cali quite regularly, I've learned.

It's a total joy to drive the Cali sitting up high with finger tip power steering control but i t does have it's drawbacks with this lack of feedback.

I've just read the post on the Ozzie wifi system for tyre pressures and whilst it would be totally unnecessary on the wife's car, it might be useful for the Cali. Any feedback from others who've used it would be good.

ps the understeer feedback on the 4Motion is also poor and you really only get it from eyes and body lean (the Cali's body that is).

barry said:
My wife has a BMW 325 MSport Coupe which has stepped wheels (much wider on the back than the front). The point I'm making is that when any tyre goes down only a couple of psi the steering becomes really heavy - you can't not notice it and then you do something about it.

Unfortunately, our 57 Plate 5-pot 4Motion is quite different.

A tyre has to drop to below 20 psi before I notice it in the steering (and believe me after a 20 years of my wife's 3 series I am VERY sensitive to steering feel) and then it's only under odd circumstances (like accelerating in 3rd out of a roundabout). What this really means is that whereas it's NEVER necessary to check the wife's wagon with a psi guauge, it's necessary to check the Cali quite regularly, I've learned.

It's a total joy to drive the Cali sitting up high with finger tip power steering control but i t does have it's drawbacks with this lack of feedback.

I've just read the post on the Ozzie wifi system for tyre pressures and whilst it would be totally unnecessary on the wife's car, it might be useful for the Cali. Any feedback from others who've used it would be good.

ps the understeer feedback on the 4Motion is also poor and you really only get it from eyes and body lean (the Cali's body that is).

Yep the BMs are very pressure sensitive. Strangely ours has the same size all round (335d SE) but even a single PSI drop has a big effect. Also had it laser aligned but think it needs doing again - the large negative rear tyre camber means it has to be exactly right or tyre wear is very uneven.

Both car and van have a TPMS but they all work on an ABS sensor so you only get an alert if ONE tyre goes down (and therefore rotates at a different speed to the others).

Our Cali is definitely firmer but a bit "lighter" on it's wheels now. It definitely says 45PSi front and rear though - non 4Motions might be different?