Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Pressures

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
I have a 2019, Cali Ocean with;
DSG, 4Motion, fully laden (including 2 heavy full size electric bikes). What psi tyre pressure do people use who have similar set-ups

Tyre Make: Bridgestone

Rear: 235/55 R17 103v

Front: 235/55 R17 103v

I have a 2019, Cali Ocean with;
DSG, 4Motion, fully laden (including 2 heavy full size electric bikes). What psi tyre pressure do people use who have similar set-ups

Tyre Make: Bridgestone

Rear: 235/55 R17 103v

Front: 235/55 R17 103v
Do you have a sticker on the drivers door frame, should give you the pressures for the various tyre sizes and leadings? I’ve just had new tyres and set the pressures to 44 psi, 235/55 R17.

T6 Ocean, 4 motion (not DSG though)
ab4ac5d0da8e2ed64c50571f8f8cc3b3.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I have same as you and used to set at 45 but now 50 on advice of tyre place as was getting premature wear, been ok since

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I have same as you and used to set at 45 but now 50 on advice of tyre place as was getting premature wear, been ok since

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
If I go higher than 44 it thumps and bangs on every road surface imperfection.
Incidentally on having a front tyre pressure warning on a summers day tyre pressures showed 48psi, set to 44 cold. False warning.

If I go higher than 44 it thumps and bangs on every road surface imperfection.
Incidentally on having a front tyre pressure warning on a summers day tyre pressures showed 48psi, set to 44 cold. False warning.
I think the tire pressure warning does not warn about high or low pressure, but only if one or more tires have a different pressure than the rest, to detect a puncture or slow leak. Am I right?

I think the tire pressure warning does not warn about high or low pressure, but only if one or more tires have a different pressure than the rest, to detect a puncture or slow leak. Am I right?
Nearly. It detects a difference in speed of rotation, effectively measuring circumference, implying that a tyre has lost pressure.

Uses the ABS sensors to compare tyre rotation between wheels, no actual pressure sensing.
I've been plagued by intermittent warnings when no soft tyre found. dropped the front and rear pressures by 2psi and seem to have finally got rid of them, fingers crossed. I'm on air suspension and I think that a combination of that plus it always seemed to be at the same time as hitting a road surface fault. Usually just did visual checks but as I said above more detailed checks showed the increase in pressure when travelling rather than cold, also found that the sun can put the pressures up so only do checks with no sun out or early or late in the day.

Setting 50 cold could give up to 55 on the road. Needs checking with a quality gauge for accurate results.

Good evening
I have Goodyear Efficient Grip 255 45 R18 and kept them at the prescribed air pressures but the middle of the thread has worn more than the outer threads on both sides. I assume the tyre is over inflating when heating up and wearing the middle faster.
I dropped the front tyre pressures from 44 to 41psi to try and help.
Most of my mileage is in sunny Europe and I wonder with hot road temperatures could this be the problem??
Has anyone with similar tyres experienced this?
Many thanks
Frank

I recently checked my tyres on my 150 dog Ocean and found that they were over inflated by nearly 10psi. Each one was deflated to the correct pressure as shown on the drivers door label. The TPM was also re calibrated to prevent alarms.
The ride is noticeably softer now, but why would the main dealer over inflate them so much?

I recently checked my tyres on my 150 dog Ocean and found that they were over inflated by nearly 10psi. Each one was deflated to the correct pressure as shown on the drivers door label. The TPM was also re calibrated to prevent alarms.
The ride is noticeably softer now, but why would the main dealer over inflate them so much?
Same here…. checked the pressure few days after delivery, and were all set at 3,6 bar. I was even 'afraid' to drop them to the recommended values.

Be careful as I have 30,000 kms and the centre thread has a considerably lower depth due to the tyres over inflating while driving in hotter climates. I have reduced mine to 41psi on the front to compensate for this.

Probably because they are used to commercial van servicing and 'always' use that pressure without checking what the correct pressure is for that vehicle and tyres fitted.

Very annoying when you always set/check them to what you require. Always check them after Dealer visits now, usually set wrong.

Not much in it, fronts 3.0 to 3.1 and rear 2.8 to 3.1 a fitter suggested us trying for rears an in between pressure ?

Just discovered an even lower pressure on the front n/s tyre. 21 psi!

Found a nail sticking out of the middle of the tread. Put spare on and am taking it in for repair tomorrow. This is really annoying as they will poke the weights of my lovely alloy wheels and probably damage the finish when they re balance it.
Cynical I know, but don’t have much faith in how tyre garages take care of our very expensive kit.
What do others think?

Found a nail sticking out of the middle of the tread. Put spare on and am taking it in for repair tomorrow. This is really annoying as they will poke the weights of my lovely alloy wheels and probably damage the finish when they re balance it.
Cynical I know, but don’t have much faith in how tyre garages take care of our very expensive kit.
What do others think?
I’m of the assume the worst school of thinking. That way if they don’t trash em you’ll be over the moon!

Things never happen in ones. When I got out my hydraulic trolley jack to take the wheel off, the plastic a case it’s kept in had oil all over inside. It looks like a seal has gone or is leaking. So just ordered myself a new one from the Amazon as the old one has done twenty five years service. Not sure how long these things are supposed to last but the new one should see me out!

What do others think?
I had to change a tyre due to a puncture on the edge of the tyre wall and they chipped the edge of the alloy rim while taking the tyre off.... I even told the guy that the Cali was only a month old!!!! Couldn’t believe it....

Just had puncture repaired at National Tyres and the appear to have made a good job. No damage to alloy, rebalanced and charged me the cost of a pint of beer.
I take it all back! It took no more than ten minutes to do as well.

Good evening
I have Goodyear Efficient Grip 255 45 R18 and kept them at the prescribed air pressures but the middle of the thread has worn more than the outer threads on both sides. I assume the tyre is over inflating when heating up and wearing the middle faster.
I dropped the front tyre pressures from 44 to 41psi to try and help.
Most of my mileage is in sunny Europe and I wonder with hot road temperatures could this be the problem??
Has anyone with similar tyres experienced this?
Many thanks
Frank
Exact same problem, but Continentals. Having Falcons fitted as we speak, and fitter said “this always seems to happen and it’s CIA they are car tyres on a van”. I’ve never overinflated them, but they may have been overinflated by the dealer, and I didn’t check them for months (won’t do that again).

Exact same problem, but Continentals. Having Falcons fitted as we speak, and fitter said “this always seems to happen and it’s CIA they are car tyres on a van”. I’ve never overinflated them, but they may have been overinflated by the dealer, and I didn’t check them for months (won’t do that again).
Interesting thought. However in all my years motoring I’ve never heard anyone say,
“ inflate your tyres as shown on the vehicle bodywork but reduce pressures if you drive in a hot country”. Does the pressure rise that much more in hotter weather?
Do we inflate them more in mid winter?
See my point?

Interesting thought. However in all my years motoring I’ve never heard anyone say,
“ inflate your tyres as shown on the vehicle bodywork but reduce pressures if you drive in a hot country”. Does the pressure rise that much more in hotter weather?
Do we inflate them more in mid winter?
See my point?
Yes, and i think i wasn't clear enough when I said "exact same problem" as I didn't mean that I thought it had something to do with hot weather. I hadn't been anywhere hot when my two front tyres became severely worn in the middle.

Back