Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Mobility Kit or Spare Wheel ?

Bill R

Bill R

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I don't have a choice as my Demonstator on order doesn't have a Spare.
Thought it might be a question other new buyers might want some opinions on. What are the Pros and Cons of each ? I can understand having a spare adds weight but the thought of having a big blow out in some deserted spot in Europe or indeed on the hard shoulder of a Motorway, is a concern.
I'm sure some of you have had this happen? I wouldn't want to be messing with a repair so would call the breakdown company.
With a spare they would come and swap the wheels. Does anyone have experience of this when they didn't have a spare ?
I'm guessing there must be a reason why VW Coventry specced all their Demos without a spare as replacing with a tyre Mobility Kit was a zero cost option alternative
Should I be getting a spare fitted - any thoughts ?

I am assuming your van comes with 18" alloys? If that is the case then a spare is not supplied as standard. I have 18" palmerstons and I have fitted a spare wheel carrier and a 17" spare which is easily fitted using the kit in the shop.

Ah right - yes it does have the 18's, but you obviously felt better too having a spare !

No way I would have a vehicle without a proper spare. It’s a big pet hate of mine about new cars.

Ah right - yes it does have the 18's, but you obviously felt better too having a spare !
If you aren't fussed about 18" wheels, you will probably be able to get the spare wheel mounting kit and 5 x 17" Devonport alloys, then sell the others here or on eBay for a profit.

Getting a 17" wheel as a spare, while keeping the 18" wheels means that you should treat the spare as a 'get you home' fix, like a spacesaver. Still infinitely better than a repair kit though.

No way I would have a vehicle without a proper spare. It’s a big pet hate of mine about new cars.

Same here, yet it intrigues me, when the cost was the same
Have you ever used a mobility repair?!! Spare for me every time. Sorry!
i haven't and I don't really want to ! I'm sure there would be times that a tyre is beyond repair, so what then

Both is better.

Mobility kit if the puncture is suitable, for use when its not safe / convenient to change a wheel, or you've got nowhere to put the 18" wheel you've just taken off. The spare is for when the gunge won't seal the hole or the tyre is wrecked or rim damaged.

Same here, yet it intrigues me, when the cost was the same

i haven't and I don't really want to ! I'm sure there would be times that a tyre is beyond repair, so what then
Call roadside assistance for a tow-away to the nearest tyre fitting shop and hope they have the right tyre (dimension/loadings etc) in stock. Usually not.

Side wall damage - then Mobility and/or Tyre repair kits of no use whatsoever.
If you want to keep the 18" then get a 17" steel spare with appropriate tyre and fit the 17" Spare Wheel Carrier sold by the shop and use it as a Spacesaver - get home/nearest garage - Spare .

Both is better.

Mobility kit if the puncture is suitable, for use when its not safe / convenient to change a wheel, or you've got nowhere to put the 18" wheel you've just taken off. The spare is for when the gunge won't seal the hole or the tyre is wrecked or rim damaged.
But surely if when the gunge won't seal the hole or the tyre is wrecked or rim damaged, with 18" wheels, you are stuck and have to call the tow truck. Not so with 17" rims - you have a spare.

Side wall damage - then Mobility and/or Tyre repair kits of no use whatsoever.
If you want to keep the 18" then get a 17" steel spare with appropriate tyre and fit the 17" Spare Wheel Carrier sold by the shop and use it as a Spacesaver - get home/nearest garage - Spare .
Good overall solution! (but still don't like gunge kit)

I would go for a spare. As I found recently if you get a puncture at high speed a three ton Cali soon wrecks the tyre. I pulled over ASAP on a quiet motorway but it was not quick enough to save the tyre. I had a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good overall solution! (but still don't like gunge kit)
Depends where you travel really. I carry both when I go to Sweden Norway etc: just in case, but would prefer to use the spare.

Depends where you travel really. I carry both when I go to Sweden Norway etc: just in case, but would prefer to use the spare.
OK WG.....Maybe you can win me over.
I had a particularly bad experience with a VW (Scirocco) gunge kit that left me stranded in a bus lane in Wolverhampton a few years ago.
I'm guessing your comment "Depends where you travel....." is to do with distance between towns with suitable tyre shops.
I will never use a VW gunge kit again (ever!!) but I am planning a trip up the west coast of Norway next year so....... what gunge kit should I begin to consider (carefully!).

But surely if when the gunge won't seal the hole or the tyre is wrecked or rim damaged, with 18" wheels, you are stuck and have to call the tow truck. Not so with 17" rims - you have a spare.

No what Im saying is I carry a 17" or a 16" as a spare as well as the gunge kit despite having 18" rims on the van. They have the same rolling radius but different profile and width so treat it as a spacesaver.

Because the 18" are wider they won't fit back in the spare wheel carrier so you need to find somewhere to put it.

Anything is better than being imobilised due to a wrecked tyre & nowhere open to get it sorted, even the likes of Kwick fit if open are unlikely to have an appropriate tyre in stock.

What tyre in 17 inch had the same rolling radius as the 18’s?

I know i am swerving the question, but if you look on your "A" pillar on the drivers side it will give you a list of tyre sizes that will fit your van.

Alternatively look on Kwik Fits site - for my van they suggest 215/60/17, 235/55/17 or 255/45/18

The 235/55/17 is 0.5mm difference in diameter, the 215/60/17 is 3mm different compared to the 18" tyre so almost identical. Thats the difference in diameter so the equivalent of 0.25mm or 1.5mm of tread wear.

No what Im saying is I carry a 17" or a 16" as a spare as well as the gunge kit despite having 18" rims on the van. They have the same rolling radius but different profile and width so treat it as a spacesaver.

Because the 18" are wider they won't fit back in the spare wheel carrier so you need to find somewhere to put it.

Anything is better than being imobilised due to a wrecked tyre & nowhere open to get it sorted, even the likes of Kwick fit if open are unlikely to have an appropriate tyre in stock.
OK. Lot clearer now. I didn't understand you has a 17"/16" spare. Makes more sense now

Has anyone actually tried fitting a 18" rim on the spare wheel carrier? I haven't because I've been told it won't fit so never bothered trying.
If the overall diameter is the same it could only be the width of the tyre thats the problem. If thats the case it should be possible to either fabricate a deeper metal tray for the wheel to sit on or extend the fixings at both ends, OK the wheel would hang slightly lower but I don't think that ground clearance is much of an issue in this location.

I had 18s on my last Cali and one in the spare wheel carrier underneath I was told by a VW technician that it is a tight fit but if you let all the air out it will fit and it does but it is tight but I would use a 17'' now and use it accordingly.

Thanks folks, might get a set of steels with winter or all weathers in 17inch & keep one in the cradle

OK WG.....Maybe you can win me over.
I had a particularly bad experience with a VW (Scirocco) gunge kit that left me stranded in a bus lane in Wolverhampton a few years ago.
I'm guessing your comment "Depends where you travel....." is to do with distance between towns with suitable tyre shops.
I will never use a VW gunge kit again (ever!!) but I am planning a trip up the west coast of Norway next year so....... what gunge kit should I begin to consider (carefully!).
Slime Kit.

The slime kit, even on your nice flat drive way on a lazy warm sunday morning is a worse experience than a road side wheel change in the same weather conditions. I know :sad

Back