Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two section Bunk ladder - advice please

K

khfitz

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi,

We are just about to buy the bunk ladder from Campervanbits, but there are mixed reviews. Any help or advice please? Is it a good buy ? Does it fit snugly and feel secure when using it?

Thank you

Hi,

We are just about to buy the bunk ladder from Campervanbits, but there are mixed reviews. Any help or advice please? Is it a good buy ? Does it fit snugly and feel secure when using it?

Thank you
We use our all the time but lean it on the passenger side of the opening instead of the front side, this makes it much easier to get up and down without twisting your back and the drivers seat also holds the bottom of the ladder in place securely.

I have one it can move about a bit - I have requested the clips that arnt normally supplied because they require drilling and we dont want to drill our Cali I I am going to work on some alternative

To stop it sliding on the hatch opening, I put some of that non-slip mesh around just the top sections of the ladder where it touches the hatch edge - no more slipping sideways.

mesh.png

Last edited:
I too would like a ladder. Is there anyone who has the German made one?

Campervanbits ladder is great. Stows on the back of the bench headrests. No additional clips are required.

Alternative product on ebay. Only downside is that you need to stand on the seats:

I have a folding ladder and at the top end I’ve pushed on a couple of golf club ‘socks’ reinforced with some old carpet wrapped around inside. These give enough friction to keep the ladder in place and avoid damaging the van interior. Similarly they let me use the ladder against the outside of the van, either body or glass.IMG_7316.jpeg

We have but frankly don’t use it anymore for accessing bed, due to the inconvenience of the space it occupies and time each night to set up if touring versus the ease with which you can climb up the seats once you master the technique, also for those of you, me too with a habit for loo visits in the night, the aluminium rails are mighty cold on the feet. Haha
However, I can say it is very well made, and I did use the mounts on the front rail which I affixed with spong pads and self tapping screws which worked very well
I now retain the ladder in the v
Back just in case I should need the ladder for outside, in case of roof failure or indeed the odd or large unsightly bird poo on the sloping and visible roof :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for all the replies- that really helps- I am going to order now.

Campervanbits ladder is great. Stows on the back of the bench headrests. No additional clips are required.

Alternative product on ebay. Only downside is that you need to stand on the seats:

As I understand it, you still have to stand on the seat, and that might (in the longer run) damage the wiring in heated seats.
That's one of the reasons I bought the ladder.

Stefan.

Hi we have the Maxx camp ladder and it is outstanding. It fits snugly into the rail between the two seats at the front. Folds up and sits behind our rolled up Duvalay sleeping bags on the back shelf. We love it and definitely recommend it. We ordered it from Germany and it was despatched promptly.

Hi we have the Maxx camp ladder and it is outstanding. It fits snugly into the rail between the two seats at the front. Folds up and sits behind our rolled up Duvalay sleeping bags on the back shelf. We love it and definitely recommend it. We ordered it from Germany and it was despatched promptly.
Can you post a link please? Sounds fab!

Hi, we prefer the roof space bed so bought the Campervanbits two piece ladder for regular access. The construction is good but the top clip design surprisingly is not compatible for front mounting! There is no grip at all.
To counter this, still mounting the ladder facing the windscreen, I use quick release luggage straps which I attach to the side-rails of the steps and pass the straps through the two "above-door" hinged handles. This gives excellent tension and stability, and provides easy and safe ascent and descent.
I leave the straps permanently on the ladder side-rails so it is a quick and easy fit when setting up.

We have the foldable one from MaxCamp. More expensive, but folds rather than breaking in two, and fixes to the back of the rear seat for storage, which is great for us.
Wouldn't be without it now to be honest.

We also have their mosquito net for the sliding door which comes in really handy in summer.

We bought the ‘Cali’ ladder but rarely use it tbh. Personally, I think it’s a bit of a con as it certainly isn’t made for a VW California and it is a ridiculous price - even our bag was awful. I’m really surprised no one has slipped off it.

If you mean the MaxxCamp, yes we got one and it’s quality build but is a wee bit ‘slippy’ on the overhang connection to roof front opening. Expensive too.
Interesting the post suggesting ‘side on’ positioning, may try that.

I’ve ordered the rope-ladder type, experimentally. It’s inexpensive and won’t take up room, so I’ll try that and if it works, I’ll save some money and space. I can put another plank across the seat so I’m not forcing my ahem substantial weight through the heated seat wiring if needed, but I think I can probably manage with just a single step: we’ll see. Our van arrives 8/3/24 so not long to wait!

To stop it sliding on the hatch opening, I put some of that non-slip mesh around just the top sections of the ladder where it touches the hatch edge - no more slipping sideways.

View attachment 119614
We've likewise attached some anti-slip mesh to the top of the ladder to reduce the degree of slippage sideway. I was initially paranoid about it crashing down to hit the media display, but fortunately that never happened.
We've recently fitted a carpet and found (unsurprisingly) that it reduces the degree of slippage.
Placing the ladder on the armrests when the seats are forward facing also helps reduce sideways movement.

PXL_20240224_144947221.jpg

PXL_20240224_144919682.jpg

PXL_20240224_144957940.MP.jpg

I have a folding ladder and at the top end I’ve pushed on a couple of golf club ‘socks’ reinforced with some old carpet wrapped around inside. These give enough friction to keep the ladder in place and avoid damaging the van interior. Similarly they let me use the ladder against the outside of the van, either body or glass.View attachment 119615
Genius

Hi,

Thank you
We have one and am generally pleased with it. Hanging it from back seat head rest is fine when they are up but I tend to drive with them down to increase rear window visibility (we have bike rack) so has a tendency to drop to the floor affecting storage

Hi,
yes we have one from camper van bits very good save standing on the seats
easy to use great in the middle of the night you know what I mean

Rarely use ours, as others have mentioned it’s space, did think about knocking it apart and making it narrower so it would stand between the handbrake and seat making it a bit easier to keep out of the way. Managed 6 weeks without it last summer and I can climb up without standing on seats.