Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turning the radio off on a T6

calijomo

calijomo

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I am clearly being monstrously dumb - but how do you turn off the radio on a T6 Cali? I’ve tried all sorts of variations of pressing buttons and also searched the forum - but remain completely stumped.

All I seem to be able to do is either turn the volume down, which has the disadvantage of silencing CarPlay navigation speech, or turning the entire unit off by pressing the off button.

My current workaround is to start playing Spotify using CarPlay and then turning off Spotify.

Am I missing a nice simple “off” button somewhere, probably right in front of my nose?

If all you want to do is silence radio broadcast and music, then just go in to another mode e.g. navigation.

Or am I not understanding what you want here?

Actually, I have not figured this out either so I'm also interested to know. It seems that once you start to play something, or turn on the radio, you cannot turn it properly off and have only the sat-nav audio on.

So, @calijomo we're clearly monstrously dumb together!

If all you want to do is silence radio broadcast and music, then just go in to another mode e.g. navigation.

Or am I not understanding what you want here?
Yes - silence the radio / switch the radio off. Interesting idea - I just attempted it but the radio stays on for me if you press the navigation button.

Using the controls on the MFSW I am able to adjust the navigation volume separately from the radio volume - but that is the inbuilt satnav so maybe not possible if using an external satnav via Carplay.

Experiencing the same problem.
Can't work out how to simply turn the radio off and leave the inbuilt Navigation system running.
Turning the volume down turns both down.....Hmmm....must be missing something.
Perhaps, the difficult to follow handbook bible gives a hint.

It’s similar with the T5, RNS510.
Can you select Media, Aux? With nothing connected to the Aux input you should have silence

Experiencing the same problem.
Can't work out how to simply turn the radio off and leave the inbuilt Navigation system running.
Turning the volume down turns both down.....Hmmm....must be missing something.
Perhaps, the difficult to follow handbook bible gives a hint.
For using inbuilt Nav & radio, their volume controls are separate, so just turn down radio volume & choose nav to display.

For inbuilt radio & CarPlay sat nav, choose a different source ie media instead of radio & pause whatever is playing, should leave sat nav working fine.

I havent checked as it hasnt been an issue for me but if its like other VWs, you turn the volume up/down for the sat nav while the sat nav is speaking. Adjusting the volume at other times does not affect the sat nav volume, only the media volume. We found this out because my daughter's sat nav was shouting at us and we couldnt turn it down, looked all through various menus and nothing we could do - until I found a forum that said I had to do it while the sat nav was speaking - problem solved.

Is it the same in the Cali?

It’s similar with the T5, RNS510.
Can you select Media, Aux? With nothing connected to the Aux input you should have silence
I can turn the radio volume down or mute it without affecting the built in SatNav on my RNS 510.

I havent checked as it hasnt been an issue for me but if its like other VWs, you turn the volume up/down for the sat nav while the sat nav is speaking. Adjusting the volume at other times does not affect the sat nav volume, only the media volume. We found this out because my daughter's sat nav was shouting at us and we couldnt turn it down, looked all through various menus and nothing we could do - until I found a forum that said I had to do it while the sat nav was speaking - problem solved.

Is it the same in the Cali?
The only problem I have had with this is when I turned down the satnav to listen to radio on early part of journey which I know… but hard to turn the satnav volume back up again whilst driving as you don’t know when it’s speaking to you… easy to do when stationary as you can go through the menu’s and adjust the volume from there.

I'm pretty sure I found if I have media card playing, and turn it down/pause, it will start playing again next time and just go through all your songs without you knowing, or the radio will come back on.
I'll have to experiment again, but the trouble is that until you're driving it's not an issue and then you are too tied up driving to be able to do anything about it, and directing the passenger to sort it out is fruitless.

No you
I am clearly being monstrously dumb - but how do you turn off the radio on a T6 Cali? I’ve tried all sorts of variations of pressing buttons and also searched the forum - but remain completely stumped.

All I seem to be able to do is either turn the volume down, which has the disadvantage of silencing CarPlay navigation speech, or turning the entire unit off by pressing the off button.

My current workaround is to start playing Spotify using CarPlay and then turning off Spotify.

Am I missing a nice simple “off” button somewhere, probably right in front of my nose?
No you are not being dumb, 2+ years on we still can’t ‘just’ turn the radio off as you would a radio at home. Really frustrating.

No you are not being dumb, 2+ years on we still can’t ‘just’ turn the radio off as you would a radio at home. Really frustrating.
Agreed. At some point I managed to mute the radio and from that point on have listened to radio channels through Carplay, and live in fear of reactivating the radio radio and being once more bamboozled by it. One day soon I’ll be somewhere with no phone signal and TMS will be on: can I drive without the cricket? We’ll find out.

I have a T6.1 with the poshed up radio thing and got so fed up with this that I plucked up the courage to ask at the garage. When in radio mode press the off button on the left hand side and it just turns it off. Simples apparently!

While on the topic of sat nav, I have a t6.1 and the screen doesn't keep up with nav arrow I end up doing it manually! Anyone else had this? I had the same nav in my golf and it worked brilliantly! I have tried the magnify glass logo which then makes the screen move but the arrow is off screen. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

While on the topic of sat nav, I have a t6.1 and the screen doesn't keep up with nav arrow I end up doing it manually! Anyone else had this? I had the same nav in my golf and it worked brilliantly! I have tried the magnify glass logo which then makes the screen move but the arrow is off screen. Any help appreciated.

Two possibilities:
1) if the map shows the vehicle in the correct location , but the map does not move with your vehicle to show it centred on the map : setting the sat Nav to show the screen (your vehicle) centred on the map : on the touch screen there is a symbol. Cant from memory remember what the symbol is, but I think it’s a circle with four arrows pointing toward the centre of the circle ( top right of screen just below the “north“ indicator)

edit : centre function shows on screen when the vehicle is not centred on the map , for example you explore the map within the touch screen function , then the symbol comes up : tap on the “car” symbol with four arrows pointing to it. - see below photo

2) if the vehicle location is incorrect and wayward or jumps to wrong location: The Fakra GPS active arial (sat Nav location) is faulty, had this on several VW units.

5B8FE83E-ED3C-4191-8870-AB5AD1E352CE.jpeg

Last edited:
The only problem I have had with this is when I turned down the satnav to listen to radio on early part of journey which I know… but hard to turn the satnav volume back up again whilst driving as you don’t know when it’s speaking to you… easy to do when stationary as you can go through the menu’s and adjust the volume from there.
There are two indications that come up on screen, when adjusting the volume :
1) radio volume : AUDIO; when adjusting a RED bar will appear at the very top of the screen temporarily at the top of the screen ; the Red bar will indicate via a sliding scale, the volume selected,

see photo - the bar then disappears after the setting is changed. (Red radio volume show)

2) Sat nav: NAV; whilst driving; when the voice speaks (or should speak but can’t be heard) a “BLUE“ bar will appear in the same place as above,
this will only last for the duration of the voice direction from the sat Nav, after which it will disappear again.
This can be adjusted up/ down whilst the voice is speaking or the blue bar shows on the screen ( if the volume is too low to hear) via either MFSW volume or rotary switch on the Unit.

AF4D45BC-D53D-4B1F-A8FF-E87260E31544.jpeg

There are two indications that come up on screen, when adjusting the volume :
1) radio volume : AUDIO; when adjusting a red bar will appear on screen temporaril, at the top of the screen ; the Red bar will indicate via a sliding scale, the volume selected,

see photo - the bar then disappears after the setting is changed. (Red radio volume show)

2) Sat nav: NAV; whilst driving; when the voice speaks (or should speak but can’t be heard) a “Blue bar” will appear in the same place as above,
this will only last for the duration of the voice direction from the sat Nav, after which it will disappear again.
This can be adjusted up/ down whilst the voice is speaking or the blue bar shows on the screen ( if the volume is too low to hear) via either MFSW volume or rotary switch on the Unit.

View attachment 82329
I prefer not to be looking at that whilst driving. So have just used the buttons on MFSW when approaching a junction and hope ‘Dilbert’ is giving me directions.
Ultimately I have resorted to reducing the volume to a level where it is less distracting but so I can still hear it so can increase it when I need to.
I guess we all find different ways to make it work for us.

I prefer not to be looking at that whilst driving. So have just used the buttons on MFSW when approaching a junction and hope ‘Dilbert’ is giving me directions.
Ultimately I have resorted to reducing the volume to a level where it is less distracting but so I can still hear it so can increase it when I need to.
I guess we all find different ways to make it work for us.
As you approach a junction with the Nav on just glance at the screen and press the volume up when the blue bar appears, take a split second ( no more than a glancing look) or pull over

Two possibilities:
1) if the map shows the vehicle in the correct location , but the map does not move with your vehicle to show it centred on the map : setting the sat Nav to show the screen (your vehicle) centred on the map : on the touch screen there is a symbol. Cant from memory remember what the symbol is, but I think it’s a circle with four arrows pointing toward the centre of the circle ( top right of screen just below the “north“ indicator)

edit : centre function shows on screen when the vehicle is not centred on the map , for example you explore the map within the touch screen function , then the symbol comes up : tap on the “car” symbol with four arrows pointing to it. - see below photo

2) if the vehicle location is incorrect and wayward or jumps to wrong location: The Fakra GPS active arial (sat Nav location) is faulty, had this on several VW units.

View attachment 82328
That symbol doesn't appear on mine, just the "N" symbol you have shown.

That symbol doesn't appear on mine, just the "N" symbol you have shown.

Try putting on a destination, then navigate away from your current location using the touch screen.

once the van is NOT centred it should appear (disclaimer : applied to T6 with touch screen)

Edit: report back to help other pls

Back