Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel Coffee Set

79a663ebeac2f21c35df6d71bbe81ae5.jpg

My setup. Home at the back, Cali camping in foreground using Aeropress and hand grinder. When out in the kayak still use the Aeropress but do need to grind before launching and take flask of hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere in the middle, I prefer real to instant: but a simple black coffee enjoying the variety of flavours you can find (Peru currently, Brazil before that).

But, over the years, whilst admiring all the different grinders - and loving fresh ground in a quality café - I have never bought one. The many alternatives both of brand and manual/electric always have caused me to balk with indecision.

At the risk of increasing that: what grinders do fellow California coffee drinkers like: ideally one device for home and van?

IZpresso K Plus for me in the van. Great bit of kit, can grind for espresso or drip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41UiV0nBqBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The thermos-style kettle is going back. Impractical and quality is not there. Instead I bought a Bodum with a detachable base. 0.5L and 725W

41UiV0nBqBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The thermos-style kettle is going back. Impractical and quality is not there. Instead I bought a Bodum with a detachable base. 0.5L and 725W
Does not seem to be available in the UK but half price on Bodum website in Spain. Pity as 725W is good. Looks like some more research is called for. Thanks for information.

Does not seem to be available in the UK but half price on Bodum website in Spain. Pity as 725W is good. Looks like some more research is called for. Thanks for information.
I got a return from the Amazon Warehouse for the same price as the Thermos style boiler. About £15 less with shipping than buying direct, even after the Bodum discount..

Agreed. I used my manual 1zpresso JE manual grinder in the house and love it for espresso drinks. Packs into its own padded case and is easy to care for. Can't beat freshly ground beans for maximum flavour.
Kinu looks great: but just too much money for me. Ditto Commandante. I found a second hand cheaper 1zpresso Q2 which I am thinking about....

In the meantime, as my midway position - so as to maintain fresh though pre-ground coffee in my Ocean - I am buying Espresso Pro capsules (currently 'Brazil') which I cut open as required and put into my Pipamoka:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083FSGH45/?tag=eliteelect-21

what grinders do fellow California coffee drinkers like: ideally one device for home and van?
I purchased a Knock Feld47 over a year ago, primarily for the van but have used it at home on occassions. A 20gr measure of beans takes about 45 secs to grind, no time at all. Pricey, but a lovely bit of kit and a great addition to a coffee set.

I purchased a Knock Feld47 over a year ago, primarily for the van but have used it at home on occassions. A 20gr measure of beans takes about 45 secs to grind, no time at all. Pricey, but a lovely bit of kit and a great addition to a coffee set.
Thats a very excellent conical burr set. Have it in my 1zpresso JE. I think 1zpresso source/manufacture all their burrsets in China now and they are not as good as the Italian made Italmill made ones. I used mine mostly at home until the Kafatek MC5 arrived, now in the Cali for which it was originally purchased.
The pricing isn't crazy compared to the Commandante and not far off the 145 quid I paid for the 1zpresso.

I have found coffee bags to be better than instant but disappointing compared with fresh coffee. Don't think I will buy any more bags but any coffee is better than no coffee.
Need to brew longer than packet says and a good squeeze agree though.
Quick and handy if out hiking and tent camping

We have a handy 12v kettle which I'm going to pack in the Beach. The question is, does anyone have a neat coffee/tea set to keep in their van? I'm talking a way to store everything you need to make a brew on the road, which can live in the van full time.

Options seem to be:

- Tupperware pots with small portions of tea, coffee, sugar and coffee-mate.
- Sachets that you get in hotels and cafés (would have to go on a spree to collect these)
- Other

I guess it is the "other" that I'm interested in - what do you guys use?

For water, we'll stick a sealed bottle of mineral water in the van somewhere for this purpose.

Cheers
Blakey
Hi,
Invest in a eco delta flow power pack & nespresso pixie coffee m/c , place power pack between driver & passenger seat sit coffee m/c on top switch on & coffee on the go without stopping

Back