Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moka Pot coffee (I’ve gone full nerd!)

You can rebuild an espresso brewer with a vent and foam the milk with steam. Easier I guess.

I’ve got a stainless steel mokka pot that I heat on an induction hob and it’s lieterally done in 2 minutes using cold water from the tap. Think I need to have a play about with it

Just when I thought I couldn’t get more nerdy!

Whilst preparing a coffee this morning I had a ’light bulb’ moment….. why not sieve the grinds before placing in the pot? :D Now this is not quite as daft as it sounds, when I make bread I sieve the flour to break down clumps, so why not coffee?

DDC8329A-063C-4D83-9059-C98382A386A5.jpeg

It worked! The coffee in the small sieve is immediately after grinding, if you look (zoom) closely you will see the difference, the grinds in the cup are really well separated. The reason behind this was to improve the settling of the coffee in the funnel and eliminate any chance of channelling :thumb

Then as if that was not enough ‘nerding’ I stopped the brew at exactly 60 grams of liquid which is 3x the 20 grams of coffee grinds. To this I added 120 grams of microfoamed milk…….. No photo sorry as I drank it straight away :D :D

Last edited:
I use a Moka pot both at home and out and about in our Campervan. Everything else being constant (ish) I’ve found the variations in water used make a big difference to taste - regional variations, hard vs soft etc. Have also found I get a more consistent (and better) flavour by using bottled water.

Just when I thought I couldn’t get more nerdy!

Whilst preparing a coffee this morning I had a ’light bulb’ moment….. why not sieve the grinds before placing in the pot? :D Now this is not quite as daft as it sounds, when I make bread I sieve the flour to break down clumps, so why not coffee?

View attachment 102738

It worked! The coffee in the small sieve is immediately after grinding, if you look (zoom) closely you will see the difference, the grinds in the cup are really well separated. The reason behind this was to improve the settling of the coffee in the funnel and eliminate any chance of channelling :thumb

Then as if that was not enough ‘nerding’ I stopped the brew at exactly 60 grams of liquid which is 3x the 20 grams of coffee grinds. To this I added 120 grams of microfoamed milk…….. No photo sorry as I drank it straight away :D :D
All this talk about coffee, and now I sit here seriously considering a Bellman mentioned earlier and ready to throw the Nescafé instant out of the window. ... Hmmmm, may make a good Christmas present.

All this talk about coffee, and now I sit here seriously considering a Bellman mentioned earlier and ready to throw the Nescafé instant out of the window. ... Hmmmm, may make a good Christmas present.
Have you seen the price? :eek: Also for what its worth they (along with Moka Pots) are not really espresso machines, the pressure is just too low, I don’t really see the benefit:(

Of course being a fully paid up NERD I had to have another look……. Here are a couple of videos that offer up pros and cons

(If not for the price I could nearly be tempted ;) )

Last edited:
Well….. I have just had the most delicious cup of coffee in these tests so far :thumb

This time I used my ‘3 cup’ and put 20 grams of sieved coffee in the funnel, 80 grams of water in the base, heat really really low and extracted 40 grams over 3 minutes. To this I added 80 grams of foamed milk………. result was the best yet!

Well….. I have just had the most delicious cup of coffee in these tests so far :thumb

This time I used my ‘3 cup’ and put 20 grams of sieved coffee in the funnel, 80 grams of water in the base, heat really really low and extracted 40 grams over 3 minutes. To this I added 80 grams of foamed milk………. result was the best yet!

Underfilling the tank will give you a different pressure profile. The air in the tank will expand as an ideal (Gay-Lusac) gas instead of a saturated vapour. Without going full nerd I discovered I prefer the product of an underfilled tank some time ago. Worth adding to your experimentation regime?

Underfilling the tank will give you a different pressure profile. The air in the tank will expand as an ideal (Gay-Lusac) gas instead of a saturated vapour. Without going full nerd I discovered I prefer the product of an underfilled tank some time ago. Worth adding to your experimentation regime?
I agree with you. BTW I reckon full nerd is the way to go and (possibly) a prerequisite of adding to this thread :D

Back