Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Traffic sign recognition

I set my ACC speed slightly above not because I want to arrive a few seconds earlier but to facilitate smoother passing of other vehicles that are often just a few clicks below the speed limit. It seems to work.

The VW software, not just for the speed limit "reading", is pretty pathetic when compared to American systems. I shouldn't have to envy my Fiat (ie Chrisler) driving friends' older generation systems.

I pretty well always drive with ACC and have never experienced any slowing down based on the speed limit reading system. If it slows unexpectedly without a car ahead it is usually a mis-reading of the situation, typically a slower vehicle in the exit lane or in a curve. Maybe it's just a speck of dirt flying up to the camera.

I have had the speed display jump up and down because the navigator mistakenly had me following a nearby road instead of the highway I was on and of course it is unable to interpret qualifying signs such as the ones that limit the speed for lorries.

There is a slight hope that a future software update could deliver a miracle but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.
It’s not designed to slow down in relation to speed limits, only to provide alerts. ACC is to set cruise speed and adjust with traffic and that is entirely independent of traffic sign recognition.

Quick question on this, can the option be added after the Cali is sold ?? ie by the dealers

I set my ACC speed slightly above not because I want to arrive a few seconds earlier but to facilitate smoother passing of other vehicles that are often just a few clicks below the speed limit. It seems to work.

The VW software, not just for the speed limit "reading", is pretty pathetic when compared to American systems. I shouldn't have to envy my Fiat (ie Chrisler) driving friends' older generation systems.

I pretty well always drive with ACC and have never experienced any slowing down based on the speed limit reading system. If it slows unexpectedly without a car ahead it is usually a mis-reading of the situation, typically a slower vehicle in the exit lane or in a curve. Maybe it's just a speck of dirt flying up to the camera.

I have had the speed display jump up and down because the navigator mistakenly had me following a nearby road instead of the highway I was on and of course it is unable to interpret qualifying signs such as the ones that limit the speed for lorries.

There is a slight hope that a future software update could deliver a miracle but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.
I was driving from Chamonix towards Geneva last Sunday and was surprised that the speed sign recognition was working correctly which definitely wasn't the case last last year. It now is able to ignore the signs with "< 3.5t" qualifiers.

I also gave the lane assist another chance and it is no longer popping up alarms at every curve on the road.

Now I wonder this is due to a software update (which is the more likely) or my new installed windshield which required a recalibration of the front facing camera.

Maybe miracles do happen...

I believe manufacturers are duty bound to create speedometers that over-read real speed for fear of litigation.
Obviously as your tyres wear out the over read becomes more pronounced. These factors lead to up to a 5% over-read. 105 Kph is really 100kph.

I don’t know that mathematical factors are ’it’ though. I reckon it’s more that we’re all just naughty school children that need to push boundaries. Not too much though.
They are indeed. I test mine often and it’s bang on 10% over actual speed.

Yes I see my real speed on the smiley face LED radar signs round town.
If I’m set to 20mph, it says 18/19mph. 22mph on the ACC is perfect, registers as real world 20mph

At Nissan I asked this question of the engineers. They said the 10% was a myth BUT they did ensure actual speed as a little under the reported clock. How much that "little" was depended from car to car, but 5% was a closer figure they said. This was to take into account factors such as tyre wear, weight etc. Also helps their official MPG figures.

Our VW's (Tiguan and Cali) both read exactly 77mph when driving at a speed indicated at 80mph.

About 5%.

Anyone know if the satnav speed limit display (vehicles without sign recognition) can display them on the dash behind the steering wheel?
I have 6.1 with the media pro and I can setup a shortcut window on the media display to display the speed, but would prefer it infornt of me on the dash.

Back