Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Traffic Sign recognition 6.1 (my21) speed limit 110?

pjduffill

pjduffill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
The other day my Traffic sign recognition told me the limit was 80 in a 30 mph and yesterday told me 110 in a 60mph? ( seems to pick up spurious KMH limits) any one have the same issue?

Yes something similar happened to me once - it appeared to be showing kph limits. It has never done it again and so I have disregarded it.

Yes, it’s happened to me quite a few times. I tend to use it as a sense check rather than rely on it, but it’s definitely less reliable than I’ve experienced in other vehicles. Suspect it will improve with a software update at some point.

The other day my Traffic sign recognition told me the limit was 80 in a 30 mph and yesterday told me 110 in a 60mph? ( seems to pick up spurious KMH limits) any one have the same issue?
Hi not experienced it myself, but a dirty windscreen will affect it.
They are pretty reliable, it even knows the legal speed limit for my particular van ie 3880kg.
However I never trust it fully.

The thing I find more odd about traffic sign recognition is that the settings for alerts dont get saved by the system. So if I set it to visual/audible warning at 3mph over the limit for example, very often the next time I drive it reverts to just visual. Sometimes it switches off alerts altogether. Its not a massive issue but I cant fathom why the system cant save settings from one drive to the next?

The thing I find more odd about traffic sign recognition is that the settings for alerts dont get saved by the system. So if I set it to visual/audible warning at 3mph over the limit for example, very often the next time I drive it reverts to just visual. Sometimes it switches off alerts altogether. Its not a massive issue but I cant fathom why the system cant save settings from one drive to the next?
I had understood that your 'settings' were saved with each key. So it is worth drivers having their own key to ensure their settings are applied when they start the van. Disappointing to hear some settings aren't...but perhaps that is a legal requirement for speed settings?

I had understood that your 'settings' were saved with each key. So it is worth drivers having their own key to ensure their settings are applied when they start the van. Disappointing to hear some settings aren't...but perhaps that is a legal requirement for speed settings?
Yes that's my understanding too, but in these instances it has been just me driving with the same key. I don't think its as you suggest because the changes seem more random than a zero reset if you see what I mean. Mostly it knocks off the audible warning, but sometimes it resets to no warnings at all. I have learnt not to trust it and if I want warnings on for a longer journey I have to remember to check it. To be fair I haven't noticed any other settings changing, so maybe it's just a glitch with the traffic sign recognition and a software update might fix it.

I've had this problem several times over the last year. Rather than a problem with the speed sign recognition though, I think it's the van having an identity crisis and thinking it's on the continent.

I tend to use the active cruise control most of the time, and when it starts showing the speed limit as 110 it also becomes reluctant to overtake on the right and displays a warning there's a vehicle there on the dash.

I expect it's something that can be fixed with a software update but as I haven't had any other reason to visit a dealer I've lived with it. It usually sorts itself out the next time it sees a speed limit sign, so I tend to just have a chuckle and imagine I'm driving along an autoroute in the south of France rather than the A1.

Yes that's my understanding too, but in these instances it has been just me driving with the same key. I don't think its as you suggest because the changes seem more random than a zero reset if you see what I mean. Mostly it knocks off the audible warning, but sometimes it resets to no warnings at all. I have learnt not to trust it and if I want warnings on for a longer journey I have to remember to check it. To be fair I haven't noticed any other settings changing, so maybe it's just a glitch with the traffic sign recognition and a software update might fix it.
Now I've driven mine a bit, I can say that my speed warnings are saved (I have them set to 5mph, and that remains when I remove the key)

I’ve had the 110 speed limit come up a couple of times. I think the camera may have read the speed limit sign on the back of a continental lorry? No other reason I can think of.

I’ve had the 110 speed limit come up a couple of times. I think the camera may have read the speed limit sign on the back of a continental lorry? No other reason I can think of.
Mine has.done it occasionally as well. That’s an interesting theory but you would think GPS would override and tell it where it is? It would explain the reluctance to overtake on the right in cruise though.

Ah, that never occurred to me. I'll look out for that next time.

I regularly set the system for a visual & audible warning if I exceed the speed limit, however it always defaults back to visual only after a day or two which is a bit of a pain. Anybody else have this? I’m hopeful that a forthcoming software update on the van will fix this.

Yes GG, see my post higher up this thread - its exactly what mine does. Or worse it sometimes switches alerts off altogether.

Yes GG, see my post higher up this thread - its exactly what mine does. Or worse it sometimes switches alerts off altogether.
Thanks @GrahamB
I’ll mention it to the technician when it goes in (for other things) later this month.

Back