Towing a caravan

Trojax

Trojax

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So we have a small 2 person caravan does anyone tow a caravan with the Cali

I used to tow an Eriba with my Cali.

Excellent as a tow vehicle although you will eat Ad-Blu.

We tow a Bailey Phoenix+ 420, 2 berth caravan. We have had the caravan for 18months, and the Cali since new in 2016. The Cali tows well and we enjoy the extra space/facilities of the caravan for longer stays... the best of both worlds so far.

I tow a boat and twin axle trailer combo which is on the cusp of legality at 2200-2300kg - Tows it fine

A great vehicle for towing an eriba. The hard bit was getting the towing ball and electrics fitted, a bit expensive.

Great news thanks all, on another note has anyone had issues with campsites trying to say you have 2 units so you need 2 pitches when you arrive in the cali with a caravan ???

Great news thanks all, on another note has anyone had issues with campsites trying to say you have 2 units so you need 2 pitches when you arrive in the cali with a caravan ???
The van is usually classed as a tow vehicle if you are only sleeping in the caravan.

Camping and Motorhome sites will only allow caravan for sleeping. The van is classed as a tow vehicle and is on your pitch usually at the side of the caravan with the awing on another side. Look at the site information on the booking pages it shows how you are suppose to park but at some sites they are getting more relaxed.

If you book 2 pitches they do not guarantee you can have them together as people choose they own pitches and you can not pre allocate a particular pitch. We recently had 2 pitches with 2 caravans but I booked grass pitch and my friend book one too as there are more likely to be less popular and there is likely to be 2 free next to each other. CMHC make you book one each.

Camping and caravan club seen to be more flexible. you can book 2 pitches and request them together. CCC 1 person can book for 2 parties and arrange for them to be together.

You will need to look at rules on each of the sites.

I also towed an Eriba caravan for a while with our Cali and the van was a great vehicle to tow with.

I think the extra weight of the van and sitting higher compared to a car plus the torque available with the diesel engine made it much easier.

Back