Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Touch screen and satnav problems

Have you asked your dealer the question?
It’s a known issue !
VW will deny !
you can either fix it yourself
or try “satnav systems” Chertsey, postal repair if required
link ;

they are VW approved (dealers use them) very very customer focused
I can highly recommend this company having used them myself for several Times . I would highly recommend this company for any retro fits (vw dealers get these guys in to carry out their works)

Last edited:
Ok Brett, i‘ve just dug out the the photos, it was actually nearly a year ago looking at them now! Memory a bit rusty but the photos pretty much show the order of things

First the part, here’s the ebay link to the digitiser… no surprises it’s gone up in price like the rest of world. This is supplied from the EU (Germany) but you could take a punt on the cheaper Chinese delivered one (does look a different supplier though). I bought the EU delivered version.

ebay item 115045718856

If this link doesn’t work down the line then just search for “VW digitiser TDO-WVGA0633F00039”

To fit you obviously need to remove the unit, clear the kitchen table and grab your screwdrivers, fairly sure the screws were all of the small torx variety. Then pull it apart to get to just the screen…

No great surprises here, pull off the front knobs, remove any sd cards and just look for the relevant screws…

View attachment 103438View attachment 103439View attachment 103440

Once here you’ll spot a small plastic clip holding each of the two card slot gubbins (below now removed laying on their side, were vertical)

View attachment 103442

then gently ease up the 2 ribbon connectors and slide them out…

View attachment 103441View attachment 103443View attachment 103444View attachment 103445View attachment 103446View attachment 103447

Basically keep striping it down until you get to the glass unit.
Now get your new screen and after cleaning stick it over the existing one with the supplied 3m edge tape. Yes on top of the exisitng!
You will not get the original one apart as it is bonded throughout to the LCD. It is only 1mm thick and will still fit fine. In the last photo it looks like i helped the ‘fit‘ with a bit of sellotape here! Then put it all back together in reverse order but obviously connect the correct ribbon in. I left the existing one tucked out the way hence this is all completely reversible back to your original condition should you need to go back for any reason!

The end result is it looks and performs as per the original ‘working’ screen.
As said been a year now and mine’s performed perfectply.
Good luck, Will
Excellent Guidance, cheers @WillSS, just completed the job on my 2016 Beach that was beginning to refuse to let me operate the perimeter of the touchscreen. Including searching for my trim tools, and a quick trip to screwfix to find a small enough torx set (thanks @CaliOceanMike ) took about 1.5 hours. Simple enough task.

I also have the dodgy screen, anyone had this replaced under the all in warrantee?
I have just booked in for my final service under the All In Plan, and have same touchscreen fault. Did you manage to get your fault rectified under the All In Plan warranty?

The touchscreen in my 2016 Cali is failing now. Does anyone know of a company in the Southampton area who can do the repair for a reasonable price? If not I go the DIY route using the excellent instructions in the thread.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I have just booked in for my final service under the All In Plan, and have same touchscreen fault. Did you manage to get your fault rectified under the All In Plan warranty?
Mine booked in for replacement 2nd April under All in Plan Warranty

The touchscreen in my 2016 Cali is failing now. Does anyone know of a company in the Southampton area who can do the repair for a reasonable price? If not I go the DIY route using the excellent instructions in the thread.

Touchscreen arrived from eBay.
Watched the various videos.
Removed head unit, stripped down, added new touchscreen over the top (the silver surround doesn't clip back on with the extra width). Reassembled unit, back in Cali and working in 70 mins.
1 bit of advice take pictures of the PCB screw locations to make sure reassembly is easy.

Satnav systems Chertsey can repair all faults for a fraction of the £2.2K a dealer Will charge for simply swapping the unit (the replacement would be supplied and fitted By a third party company on behalf of VW ! )

they operate a postal service if you can’t get to them

call Hamid, letting him know you’re on the Forum.

one of my previous posts details that all units with a suffix code are known to have a fault and will fail sooner or later ( . Later suffix does not !, search my previous posts)

edit here is the thread and my post #2

Edit, the suffix is “c” or older

Probably better described as Satnav Systems of Hook/Tolworth/Surbiton rather than Chertsey.

My 2017 infotainment system started malfunctioning - unresponsive screen, unresponsive hard buttons, rebooting unit etc.

I spoke with Hamid yesterday. Booked in today. Fixed this afternoon. New software, hardware and a general upgrade. Very good service - without fault. If only VW dealerships were 20% as good!

When you visit their offices, they have stacks of old and damaged units awaiting repair, including a significant number damaged as a result of attempted DIY repairs, so I’m glad I didn’t attempt a DIY fix.

Thank you for the excellent recommendation!

I repaired a couple of Discover Media screens myself.
A piece of cake (for me) and at 1/10 of the price of a new unit.

Back