Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Touch screen and satnav problems

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We’ve had problems with the the touch screen for a couple of years on a 5 year old California,the L hasn’t worked for a long time on the satnav..You can’t programme satnav on touch screen only on voice control.If you try and touch the satnav screen when it’s running it will no longer move with the route and even jumps to countries all over Europe,you can’t re centralise the screen.The radio programmes jump all over the place too,keeps changing stations .Took it into the van centre they diagnosed that the control unit behind the touchscreen needs replacing at a cost of £2200.I’m not even convinced that it will fix it because the letter L isn’t working.A customer who overheard said to me it sounds rubbish seek a second opinion.Any ideas I don’t want to spend all that to have the satnav still not 100%

We’ve had problems with the the touch screen for a couple of years on a 5 year old California,the L hasn’t worked for a long time on the satnav..You can’t programme satnav on touch screen only on voice control.If you try and touch the satnav screen when it’s running it will no longer move with the route and even jumps to countries all over Europe,you can’t re centralise the screen.The radio programmes jump all over the place too,keeps changing stations .Took it into the van centre they diagnosed that the control unit behind the touchscreen needs replacing at a cost of £2200.I’m not even convinced that it will fix it because the letter L isn’t working.A customer who overheard said to me it sounds rubbish seek a second opinion.Any ideas I don’t want to spend all that to have the satnav still not 100%
Satnav systems Chertsey can repair all faults for a fraction of the £2.2K a dealer Will charge for simply swapping the unit (the replacement would be supplied and fitted By a third party company on behalf of VW ! )

they operate a postal service if you can’t get to them

call Hamid, letting him know you’re on the Forum.

one of my previous posts details that all units with a suffix code are known to have a fault and will fail sooner or later ( . Later suffix does not !, search my previous posts)

edit here is the thread and my post #2

Edit, the suffix is “c” or older

Last edited:
We had the same issue on our 2016 Ocean. Complete system replaced with a new unit just at the end of 5 year warranty. However the new system was expensive but less than the price quoted.

Our touch screen Sat Nav starting failing about a week before the end of Amarillo’s five year warranty. I already had Amarillo booked in for an MOT the day after the warranty expired and phoned SMG Tonbridge to inform them of the fault for advice prior to the MOT. I left messages but no one retuned my calls.

On the day of the MOT I informed them of the failure, and they just shrugged their shoulders and said, that the warranty is up!

I complained and gave my phone logs as proof of my earlier contact to report the fault. But they rejected my complaint, offering me a discounted replacement unit (about 80% of the new price).

I’m not happy. A whole sector of the touch screen is inoperable.

Ingleby Electronics fitted a new screen complete to mine (2016 T6) a few weeks ago, now working perfectly. The symptoms were as most describe, parts of the touch screen not responding.
Turnaround from Ian at Ingleby Electronics was about ten days, total price including a new larger satnav SD Card updated to the latest nav data was about £320.

This fault manifests itself on almost every T6 head unit of this age by the way.

Ingleby Electronics fitted a new screen complete to mine (2016 T6) a few weeks ago, now working perfectly. The symptoms were as most describe, parts of the touch screen not responding.
Turnaround from Ian at Ingleby Electronics was about ten days, total price including a new larger satnav SD Card updated to the latest nav data was about £320.

This fault manifests itself on almost every T6 head unit of this age by the way.
Same here. Ian fixed mine while I waited - unit out and replaced the failed digitiser - and then refitted within an hour. I Would certainly recommend him.

To add to my previous post, it's simple to remove and replace the unit although prising off the surrounding trim can be daunting. I can find the dealer instructions should anyone want them.

Tip for reinstalling, the right air duct seems not to want to go back into place although it came out easily! Reach into the dash and push the 12v socket up about 20mm and push it back down when the duct is in place.

I believe it’s as a result of the glue failing over time within the digitiser. From my experience it started as a couple of flat spots on the screen until it gradually deteriorated until the entire unit became inoperable as it was doing its own thing
£300 to fix mine ( as above Ingleby) while i waited and made a brew in the van.

I got in touch with Hamid at Satnav system and will take the van up there from Somerset next month,it seems ridiculous that vw haven’t recalled all the vans and fixed this problem themselves

I got in touch with Hamid at Satnav system and will take the van up there from Somerset next month,it seems ridiculous that vw haven’t recalled all the vans and fixed this problem themselves

VW deny the problems exist !

Could make a day of it at lego land / Windsor etc ? Camp over ?

Yes we will,I used to live in sw London,thanks for all the help it’s been invaluable

Yes we will,I used to live in sw London,thanks for all the help it’s been invaluable
You are more than welcome,

if you would be kind enough to update the thread with your experience of both the company and the fault, after the visit, that will help other immensely.

tip: Get you’re Sat Nav SD card updated to the most current version, at the same time as the works are carried out.

Yes please
Here you go...
The single page looks a bit frightening but forget the VW tools, use the most appropriate of the readily available plastic trim removal tool sets perhaps assisted by a blunt table knife to give access to the gap at the top of the frame. Release it from the upper clips and remove backwards towards you. Just be firm but gentle and don't twist or bend the assembly.
The other larger file includes a number of different head units and connection options but once you've removed the unit by removing the four screws what you have is what you will need to disconnect. Nothing can be re-connected wrongly as all connectors are unique to their sockets.

I've added these files to the resources pages as well.

Attachments

• T6 Radio outer frame removal.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 90
  • T6 Radio removal.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 108
to assist others :

general search result :”Infotainment “ link to various threads (click the RED text to to you to the search result)

General search results : “ Sat Nav”

Last edited:
Had my sat nav repaired by Hamid today (hottest day ever, and lightest traffic on the South Circular Road I have ever experienced).

Great salesman and explained well the problem and the resolution. I settled from an imperfect screen replacement for a 33% discount. Price still higher than I’d expected at £399.

Had my sat nav repaired by Hamid today (hottest day ever, and lightest traffic on the South Circular Road I have ever experienced).

Great salesman and explained well the problem and the resolution. I settled from an imperfect screen replacement for a 33% discount. Price still higher than I’d expected at £399.
You'd have been about a £100 better off sending up to Ian at Ingleby Electronics.

You'd have been about a £100 better off sending up to Ian at Ingleby Electronics.

£79 less postage better off. But I’d have missed the joys of driving about 80% of the South Circular Road. And it has changed- or at least the users have changed. Loads and loads of bicycles, and cargo bikes. Normal people doing normal things in normal clothing by bike. Not mamils (middle aged men in Lycra), but mums with their children in a box in front of their bike, people delivering lunches or flowers or groceries by bike. I’ve not seen that before. I could almost have been In Copenhagen.

can you share ?

I couldn’t hope to replicate a fifteen minute conversation here. But basically the touch screen is faulty - and on all Discover Media systems with a certain code, but the motherboard is fine.

VW’s solution (where it fails under warranty) is to replace the entire unit with another unit that will eventually fail because it has the same fault.

The better solution is to replace the screen only with one which doesn’t have the fault.

I couldn’t hope to replicate a fifteen minute conversation here. But basically the touch screen is faulty - and on all Discover Media systems with a certain code, but the motherboard is fine.

VW’s solution (where it fails under warranty) is to replace the entire unit with another unit that will eventually fail because it has the same fault.

The better solution is to replace the screen only with one which doesn’t have the fault.
Unless you use Satnav systems, who will ensure the unit that they replace the faulty unit. With is replaced with a later Suffix code (later than C ) and will provide a two year warranty?
As in my case !
Not sure others will provide the level of service / detail or guarantee and level of care ? (For a similar price)

Unless you use Satnav systems, who will ensure the unit that they replace the faulty unit. With is replaced with a later Suffix code (later than C ) and will provide a two year warranty?
As in my case !
Not sure others will provide the level of service / detail or guarantee and level of care ? (For a similar price)
Hamid is a great salesman, and a great talker... But you can't judge a business on things that go right, only how they rectify things if they go wrong.

Hamid is a great salesman, and a great talker... But you can't judge a business on things that go right, only how they rectify things if they go wrong.
Exactly, that’s why I use them and recommend them, when VW scrambled my Infotainment system, SatNav Systems replaced it the very next day at my work FOC.

Well we are at Satnav systems Tolworth now,Hamid has given us exce service and had removed the whole unit and is upstairs repairing it for a quarter of the price that the vw van centre quoted. Thanks to the forum for all the valuable information

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back