Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top tips when buying?

Trollhunter

Trollhunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi folks,
Am of to see a 2005/6 T5 California next week. 174bhp 2WD automatic. Has 145 000km on the clock.
Looking for any advice or top tips on things to look out for. Any common faults or things I should keep in mind when testing the vehicle?
Thanks,
Magnus

Hi folks,
Am of to see a 2005/6 T5 California next week. 174bhp 2WD automatic. Has 145 000km on the clock.
Looking for any advice or top tips on things to look out for. Any common faults or things I should keep in mind when testing the vehicle?
Thanks,
Magnus
Check the paperwork and service history first before falling for the van.

When you test the parking heater switch on all the interior
lights.
If they are flickering when the heater starts it could mean that
the van needs the earth shunt doing.

Make sure that the control unit knob is working okay and ask him
if its already had a new control unit. It should´ve done by now,
i´m on my 3rd, they´re a bit fragile.

Get the roof going up and down a few times and also check for rust
around the roof.

None of it is really bad and can be easily sorted but could be good bargaining
points.
Good luck :thumb

Spent the next few days reading the forum inside out and you will know where to look at ....

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
There has been some hefty bills incurred with the auto transmissions as that sort of age. Someone may add some details but big numbers. Also, the exhaust manifolds can crack and let fumes into the cab.

Yeah - DSG recon £2000 & mechatronic programming & fitting - at least £3k. Or buy a nice new one from VW for £7k.... listen for any clicks or ratchet sounds - indicates failing synchro.

Cheers peeps, some nice points to keep in mind. Will start doing my homework and read through the forums :thumb

Yeah - DSG recon £2000 & mechatronic programming & fitting - at least £3k. Or buy a nice new one from VW for £7k.... listen for any clicks or ratchet sounds - indicates failing synchro.
Although '05/'06 not DSG...

What’s the comparative cost for replacement manual gearbox pls?

Hi folks,
Thanks,
Magnus
Check the canvas for holes from the inside to see daylight through, I've a 2008 and the canvas does fade, but is still completely watertight. I've a couple of tiny holes but major ones would present a problem

Back