Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top box cupboard that contains the back speakers very hard t

I

Isa Neal

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Mine is a new Cali 180 DSG. The top box cupboard at the back is extremely difficult to open, is there a special way of doing this.

Re: Top box cupboard that contains the back speakers very ha

Hi this seems to be a recurring problem I had it with mine. What I did was sprayed the hinges
And catch with silicon spray. This helped. There is a knack to opening them lift the handle up
And pull down at the same time. You will get used to it :thumb

Isa, like Kev says this is a real knack to opening this, once you have done it a few times it will be fine.. Saying that, Lorraine is always asking me to open it for her !!

I think I have the knack and I still hate opening it! I do think VW could improve on it.
Penney

Mentioned this to dealer before I purchased it & he got workshop to look at it. They lubricated it & said it was normal.
Shocking design in my opinion, have to pull mine down. Ideally it should 'float' down once lock is released.

It is a bit sticky but I find it okay.

We pack it with a blanket and pillows - stops it rattling when playing music loudly :D

like a lot of stuff in the van its crap .they should of let westfalia do the work .not vw . :headwall

Mine seems to catch on the right hand side i.e against the wardrobe - v stiff and tricky to open.

Helen - ours did that. We took it to the dealers and they took it to bits and reassembled it under warranty. No problem now. I agree it still isn't the easiest things to open though. I find pressing the top of the "cupboard" with my thumb at the same time as pulling the catch with my fingers of the same hand works quite well.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ccc0xc

Will put it on my (small) niggles list to talk to the dealer about - good to know it can be fixed. :thanks

It is not a very good design. As well as problems opening it you also have to lift it, and any contents, up to close it. Not clever. Our Westfalia had a simple fixed cupboard in that position with a simple drop down door hinged at at the bottom. Simple, easy and straight forward.

Agreed it can be tricky, I find it a two handed job. Heel of left hand pushes cupboard in, fingers of right hand undo catch. At least the nice tight fit means no rattles!

Back