Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The van drives itself - is it herby?

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Noticed something new on latest trip after 1 year of ownership - just back from sunny Bavaria.

I was in the local empty Aldi car park and I left the first gear engaged with out depressing the clutch - and hey presto it didn't stall but continued to drive at about 8km per hour. Same in 2nd and some of the higher gears (at higher regulated speeds).

Not sure if it's a feature or fault? But very handy in traffic queues and on camping sites!!

PS I have a 180 manual.

.....really? you have noticed that this occurs with almost every manual gearbox vehicle?

shocking! :headbang

The important bit I forgot to mention is that I take my foot off the accelerator also, and it continues to drive. Try it - it surprised me.

Look I'm going to give this another go 'cos I'm staggered that nobody finds this of interest - must all be DSG drivers!!

Put it into first gear, take foot off clutch AND accelerator and the van continue to drive - is this a feature?

Don't be soft every manual vehicle I've ever had has done this even my 1980 renault fuego!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Perfectly normal on any vehicle with a decent sized Diesel engine.

As long as there's enough torque at low revs it'll work that way.

Rgds
M

Thanks for a constructive response SimplyDubs - this is the first diesel i've owned so that makes sense.

cpjb@btinternet.com said:
Thanks for a constructive response SimplyDubs - this is the first diesel i've owned so that makes sense.

No worries... Everything's new to us at some point...

I'm almost 5 years into Cali ownership and I still find new things!!!

Just keep on enjoying it. :)

Rgds
Mark

Back