Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Ridgemonkey- I want one!

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've read the enthusiastic comments and I want one - but my wife isn't convinced - she says it's just a frying pan that you can flip over! I just wondered if an owner or two would be ok to help me persuade her that it's a device worth finding the space for - I should say that we're not great toastie eaters!

Thanks

Ian

I got the one with the compartments on one side and removable handles for Christmas from Mrs Robo but not convinced it will be something we use, a fellow campervanner on a local meet / camp last year had the smaller one without the compartments and fixed handles which is advertised as being more of a toastie maker but he was cooking everything in I thought it wasn't big enough for a family of 4 but then I do think it would be better for doing cheese toasties for the kids to have with either a mug shot or cuppa soup.

Not sure if this helps or not?

I really like ours
What can I say it’s just good
I don’t eat toasties either but cooking omelettes bacon
Fried eggs is so simple and no fat splash as you wife says jits ust a pan that flips.
But you can warm pizza up and a million other things
This is what makes it good!

There are many fishermen and campers happy to demonstrate their cooking skill with the ridge monkeys on You Tube.
Mine when turning can flick some liquid out as not sealed completely. I have so far done toasted panini, sandwiches and bacon & eggs which actually is the extreme end of my culinary repertoire. Pleased with it nonetheless.
A bit like a collapsible kettle, once seen, must have!

Last edited:
I would put it in my top 5 camping gadgets, we have used our a lot over the winter especially on day trips when we pull up at the beach and fancy something hot to eat. Once you get the hang of it you can make some great toasties, we have experimented with all variation of ingredients.

I would put it in my top 5 camping gadgets, we have used our a lot over the winter especially on day trips when we pull up at the beach and fancy something hot to eat. Once you get the hang of it you can make some great toasties, we have experimented with all variation of ingredients.

Which one do you have?

I would not know what to use it for (maybe bash a mosquito or two) … we have two pots and two pans in the car already. For me, it is the matter of eliminating as much stuff as possible.

I wanted one, but my wife pointed out exactly that - for what use? And actually, I could not argue against it. We have all we need for the type of food we cook and eat. Maybe you are in the same situation as I was ;-)

I think it's worth having one just for toasting bread. I've used all the styles of camping toaster ( non electric) and the RidgeMonkey is the best I've come across. If your not a fan of toast or toasted sandwiches, then probably a frying pan will suffice.

You need one just for baking cupcakes :thumb

Good point!

But I do that in the Cadac … actually I was so obessed with baking in it, buying a stone for pizza, and finally lost myself in the process and drilled a hole in the lid, and mounted a thermometer … well satisfied with the result – until my wife asked (totally unimpressed) why I had put a thermometer in the wok (!).

Bummer :headbang

We use the small & larger size in our Cali. Makes brilliant omelettes. Cooked breakfast is great. It stops the cali being splattered by fat. Also makes yummy toasties.

All happy RidgeMonkey owners here..
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-did-you-cook-in-your-ridge-monkey.22278/#post-258330

Buy one in the Clubshop
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ridgemonkey-cooking-devices.21177/

There are cheaper versions of pans that can do thesame looking at them online , the RidgeMonkey just was launched on this forum as a good decive to make toasts , etc..but you may as well find other brands.

We now carry two pots and one pan but after dooing some tests at home the RidgeMonkey will sure travel in the Cali !

What can you loose other then some £ :D , if you don't use it enough just resell it ...
I would recommend it :thumb

Also look at TF Gear version. £14 no brainer. Used at weekend for Indian starter mix out of M&S, plus Naan bread after. Seals in smells and no sparks of fat etc. We don't use frying pan now so we're down to this gadget plus two small pans (latter double as camping pans if we're backpacking).

Back