Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The lock on the sliding roof door.....missing?

JDVKTM

JDVKTM

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
We just took ownership of our 2007 T5 a couple of days ago and are very excited to take it on its first trip but have to sort out a few small issues
the first being that the sliding shifts opens by itself when on a gravel road with the tent sides falling down
Does the sliding door have a lock and can it be bought separately ?
Your suggestions will be appreciated

thanks

Johan

Later models have a small strip of felt on either side which prevents the sliding roof from opening. Simple but effective...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My 2009 model features a piece of cardboard wedged between the hatch and roof cover.
As it's not a factory fitted item it falls out every time I open it!
Does the job though. I've got the felt strips on mine as well which used to work but don't any more. Guess I need another layer.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

If this is a Caifornia and if it's the slide above the passenger/driver's head you're referring to, it's a regular problem because the plastic clip on the slide's leading edge that engages with a small lip on the fixed bit of the Cali roof wears.
Folded bus tickets, multiply-folded paper or anything of a similar thickness can be used to take up the slack between the two when the slide is slid shut. A nuisance but it works fine.

We just took ownership of our 2007 T5 a couple of days ago and are very excited to take it on its first trip but have to sort out a few small issues
the first being that the sliding shifts opens by itself when on a gravel road with the tent sides falling down
Does the sliding door have a lock and can it be bought separately ?
Your suggestions will be appreciated

thanks

Johan
Something like this in the sliding panel runners should do the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-strips...hash=item3a736e9eaf:m:mfDHLVR5ExPPmwMWmFdmi_w

Thanks Barry,
Is that plastic clip you're referring to not available separately ?

I don't think so. It's just part of the plastic moulding?
I did build it up once with superglue and it worked for a while but since I added a Brandrup IsoTop thing to the tent, the extra material stops the sliding thing from sliding. Bit of an expensive solution though :)

I used a skicky backed piece of felt used to put on chair feet to stop them marking wooden floors ---- Works a treat and cheap

We found that if you don't fold the top tent that carefully, the bulge holds the cover in place...

The "lock" can be found behind the steering wheel , look up once a while and close it back fully....:D

A common thing , you get used to it allong with some other wierd issues that one would think not to have on a +50.000euro verhicle .
Welcome to the amazing Cali World ....

Our solution was to put a fairly high density block of foam between the bellows and the hatch - works fine and when you forget to catch it and drops on you it doesn't hurt!

A credit card works very well - saves money too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you've closed the hatch, tuck a long-handled silicone spoon in between the ceiling and the tambour door, with the handle sticking out. The shutter then doesn't budge, just take the spoon out before you open the hatch and put the roof out, and get on with cooking your dinner.

Back