Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Test drive of T6 Multivan

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
In sweden we nearly have no californias at all so it makes test drives a bit of a problem.
So when my dealer finally got their T6 Multivan 150 DSG I went for a test ride.
I currently drive a BMW 520D, so my impressions are through that as a lence.
First impressions, the Deluxe dashboard is indeed very good in its feel. Its no BMW, but few cars are. But it is good enough to me. The car was equipped with distance keeping cruise control. Worked really well and is something I will add to my california. It could stop the car completely, but started moving again after a few seconds requiring manual braking. Big difference from regular cars which can be used in stop and go traffic.
I paired my iPhone 6S to play some Overcast podcasts, sound ok, but it disconnected three times during 45 minutes and was not able to connect again unless I restarted the whole car. Never happened in my bmw.
I was sceptical about the dsg box, but it surprised me to work really well. 150Hp works well in town, but above 110km/h is a slouch. I understand why the germans go for the 200HP one.
Rear bench could be pushed back and forth in its upright position which was positive.
I really liked the "captain" seats in the front, a bit like Range Rover seats, but I guess the california have different ones since they need to be able to rotate? Anyone know how they differ?
Negatives? During driving arround town I got much wheel spin from the front so I am going for a 4 motion.
Dsg was a really positive experience and I will get one as well.
Wind noise is higher that the bmw, but it was more or less the same in 80km/h and 140km/h, great.

I most certainly will have to wait one more year to be able to afford all this equipment, but I figure its better to wait and get what I really want.

Thanks Kave for the review.
Seems to confirm my plan to go for the ACC and as I have only good things to say about the DSG having done over 100k in my Touran I have to agree. Also agree on the wheel spin which is one of the reasons I shall go for the 4 Motion. I understand in general use it will give 70% front and 30% rear. I have to be careful in the Touran not to spin up the fronts especially in the wet. Also playing the waiting game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any coments on the suspention - to soft, to hard?

I wanted to order DCC suspention but my dealer advised against - in his opinion it was a waste of money. Then i sugested a sport suspention but this is not an option on the T6

I drowe a rental T5 Cali for a week two years ago from Germany to Brittany - France. Lovely trip but in my opinion the suspention was a bit to soft.
I can se that other T5 owners recommend stonger suspention...

Regards
Henrik

To be honest, I didnt ferl any difference between the different modes, but it was really raining so it was no time for "track" abuse to feel if it where more or less stablenat hard turns.
What I have read of other multivan reviewrs are the same. Dcc is unncessecary on the T6.

Back