motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
OK here's a really positive thread to take us over the Christmas period :D

There are plenty of things to love about our Cali's so it's difficult to think of the best features, but here goes, in no particular order
  1. The diesel heater, with remote control which works over an amazing distance
  2. It's really comfortable, fast and quiet and eats up the miles
  3. It goes a long way on a tank of fuel
  4. It holds its value
  5. The quality of the furniture and fittings, no chipboard or stuck on grey carpet
  6. The way the chairs fit into the tailgate
  7. The way the table slides away in a second, and the other stows in the door
  8. It fits under 2m height barriers
  9. You can take loads of stuff to the tip in it
  10. It has an excellent forum!
I'm sure I'll think of better things as soon as I post this, but this will do for a start :)

10 things I love about my Cali!

At last a positive inspiring post!

1. Drives really nicely
2. Good fuel consumption - as good as my current cars
3. Really comfortable on long runs - eats up the miles
4. Goes where a car can
5. Versatile and adaptable
6. Can carry a number of friends on days out (7 seater Beach)
7. Nice factory build
8. Looks good
9. Lots of people have one which generates lots on information and ideas on the forum in the club
10. Value retentions high

Sorry some are repeats but you are going to get this a lot I suspect ;)

Not sure the forum owners could provide enough disk space for the T4 owners to reply about their vans.....
Have a go and get your money's worth out of the subs! ;)

I like the fact that the T4 provided the DNA for the VW version of the Cali, which is ace by the way.

The other 9 things range from making me smile to it being brilliant at everything it does.

Is it spring yet?

I like the fact that the T4 provided the DNA for the VW version of the Cali, which is ace by the way.

The other 9 things range from making me smile to it being brilliant at everything it does.

Is it spring yet?
Why do you have to wait for Spring?

Good question WG. Work commitments and stuff mean we usually aim for end of March for first outing. Feeble excuse I know.

1st , I like the fact most Cali owners chose nice resaleble colors .
2nd , Also in combination with lots of resaleble options witch are "must haves"
3th,Together with the 20"rims....
4th, ......you can lower the suspention untill you can't enter your own driveway
5th ,The fact you got space in the back to put up a foldable stool , hang a plastic bag over it and take a ..... , thighten the plastic bag , put it in the doorpocket , stop at the next gasstation and throw it in the litter without any bad smells.
6th , lots of storage for my oven , nespresso and toasters.
7th, a very clean engine ....low emission...great job VW !
8th, a solid roof where muchrooms can grow on.
9th, the very clear fuse diagram.
10th , All this for a very low budget price ...

Last edited:
Good question WG. Work commitments and stuff mean we usually aim for end of March for first outing. Feeble excuse I know.
Ok, you're let off.:thumb

Great positive thread. Who would have thought of that eh? :)

Let's turn the amplifier up to 11......

1) California brings the family together to learn how to get on in a confined space. Life skills:- Team building, patience and good will.

2) Even if not camping for the night you can stop and make a brew and a bite to eat without forking out a fortune at a cafe.

3) High driving position means you can see far ahead and see over hedge rows.

4) Built in black out blinds, heater and comfy mattresses on the Ocean means you get a good kip all year round. (especially if you have a few sherbets from the cooler)

5) Remote park heater. I click the remote 15 mins before I set off to work and I have a cosy frost free vehicle. No need for the heated windscreen!!)

6) Enthusiastic owners who are happy to share their experiences both positive and negative and prepared to help out with top tips and advice. What other owners club is like this?

7) Cool looking vehicle others respect and find fascinating. people happy to stop and look and ask about it. I was surprised at amount of interest in the T6! Thought people only interested in splitties but apparently not so!

8) push button pop up roof. So much easier than a tent (smug mode on!) love to see the faces of people putting up tents in mild windy conditions when we turn up and press a button!! Hey-presto!

9) Clever stowage and top class design. VW design really thought about the layout and use of space. The chairs in the tailgate. The table in the door. The black out blinds on the A Pillars. Etc.

10) Gas bottle surrounded by the water tank. Clever space saving, safety aspects. Good design.

11). The name. California. Creates a feeling of sunshine, holidays and surfing. So much better than Transporter conversion!!

.... so why did they put the California badge in a place partially obscured by the bike rack when fitter? Aarrggghhhh. Oops this is supposed to be 10 things I love..... sorry..... :mute

Great positive thread. Who would have thought of that eh? :)

Let's turn the amplifier up to 11......

1) California brings the family together to learn how to get on in a confined space. Life skills:- Team building, patience and good will.

2) Even if not camping for the night you can stop and make a brew and a bite to eat without forking out a fortune at a cafe.

3) High driving position means you can see far ahead and see over hedge rows.

4) Built in black out blinds, heater and comfy mattresses on the Ocean means you get a good kip all year round. (especially if you have a few sherbets from the cooler)

5) Remote park heater. I click the remote 15 mins before I set off to work and I have a cosy frost free vehicle. No need for the heated windscreen!!)

6) Enthusiastic owners who are happy to share their experiences both positive and negative and prepared to help out with top tips and advice. What other owners club is like this?

7) Cool looking vehicle others respect and find fascinating. people happy to stop and look and ask about it. I was surprised at amount of interest in the T6! Thought people only interested in splitties but apparently not so!

8) push button pop up roof. So much easier than a tent (smug mode on!) love to see the faces of people putting up tents in mild windy conditions when we turn up and press a button!! Hey-presto!

9) Clever stowage and top class design. VW design really thought about the layout and use of space. The chairs in the tailgate. The table in the door. The black out blinds on the A Pillars. Etc.

10) Gas bottle surrounded by the water tank. Clever space saving, safety aspects. Good design.

11). The name. California. Creates a feeling of sunshine, holidays and surfing. So much better than Transporter conversion!!

.... so why did they put the California badge in a place partially obscured by the bike rack when fitter? Aarrggghhhh. Oops this is supposed to be 10 things I love..... sorry..... :mute
  1. :agreed
  2. :agreed
  3. :agreed
  4. :agreed
  5. :agreed
  6. :agreed
  7. :agreed
  8. :agreed
  9. :agreed
  10. :agreed
  11. :agreed
Wow that's my emoji credits all used up :D

They didn't on the SE.:)

They didn't on the SE.:)

Yes. On the 5.1 it's in a good position. Don't know why they didn't spot that error before they went into production. I'm thinking of moving mine lower down on the tailgate.

Yes. On the 5.1 it's in a good position. Don't know why they didn't spot that error before they went into production. I'm thinking of moving mine lower down on the tailgate.
Probably difficult to move it and re-stick. Easier to get a replacement and re-position and remove the old one.

True Welsh....Out of interest .... What other words can you make out of California and tdi?

True Welsh....Out of interest .... What other words can you make out of California and tdi?
Trainload, is the best I can do ;)

Or Idiotical?

Maybe something better in Cwmru?

Last edited:
We're moving, so now two more to add:-

11. It's a furniture removal van
IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

12. And when all the dining furniture has gone into storage, you can use the ones out of the Cali
IMG_2560.JPG

:D

14. When have meetings in far flung places on Fridays can drive in van and continue on to seaside for weekend break;

15. whilst surrounded by all my lovely Cali 'home from home' things;

16. and have cup of tea and slice of cake in van after bracing walk with Archie.

17. I can drive and relax without having to constantly listen out for / worry about strange noises
18. I arrive at a destination without backache
19. I don't get oil on my garage floor
20. I can overtake something other than a tractor or pushbike
21. I get more than 20 mpg
22. I don't have to spend 30 minutes faffing with laying out bed boards
(yes an owner who drove a Split for many years!)

17. I can drive and relax without having to constantly listen out for / worry about strange noises
18. I arrive at a destination without backache
19. I don't get oil on my garage floor
20. I can overtake something other than a tractor or pushbike
21. I get more than 20 mpg
22. I don't have to spend 30 minutes faffing with laying out bed boards
(yes an owner who drove a Split for many years!)

23. I don’t have to allow as much room in the back for spares as I do camping equipment....!!

Back