Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Telemetry" Dashcommand iOS iPad app & ODB II wifi dongle

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
I've been playing around with a new app I bought, DashCommand from Palmer Performance which shows ODB codes and also offers a wealth of info displayed on an iPad mini (which sits nicely in the cup holders).

The ODB wifi transmitter I bought wasn't the best, but I just wanted to try it out.

Here's some screenies of it in action, showing all kinds of info real-time power, torque and fuel consumption averaged over various timeframes (also some stuff that I've no clue about, but need to find out!).

Anyone else tried something similar?

azu2a8eg.jpg

ahuzu6a2.jpg

4ejyda5y.jpg

a4e2yrub.jpg

runudysu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re:

I use an Scanguage II in my track car and have another bluetooth one which I will try in my Cal when I get it.

I find it very useful for reference, codes and accurate sensor temps in the car.

Re:

AndyFromTheBrac said:
I've been playing around with a new app I bought, DashCommand from Palmer Performance which shows ODB codes and also offers a wealth of info displayed on an iPad mini (which sits nicely in the cup holders).

The ODB wifi transmitter I bought wasn't the best, but I just wanted to try it out.

Here's some screenies of it in action, showing all kinds of info real-time power, torque and fuel consumption averaged over various timeframes (also some stuff that I've no clue about, but need to find out!).

Anyone else tried something similar?

azu2a8eg.jpg

ahuzu6a2.jpg

4ejyda5y.jpg

a4e2yrub.jpg

runudysu.jpg

I soooo want one of those.

Re: "Telemetry" Dashcommand iOS iPad app & ODB II wifi dongl

Which ODB connector are you using? Why do you say it isn't the best? Very interested in something similar for my Cali.

Cheers

Re:

I've seen and played with similar things in prototype Subarus at Prodrive, in a previous life. It doesn't have quite the same appeal in a camper van though!

I'd seen the ODB readers at a fairly expensive price and tho I didn't stoop to getting a £1.99 jobbie from eBay, I paid just £29 for this ELM327 from Amazon;

"EiioX WIFI WLAN Wireless OBD2 Code Reader Scanner for iPhone Ipad Ipod Touch ELM327"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009PJCHOO/?tag=eliteelect-21

Aside from the hard-to-source GoPoint, I've not seen a Bluetooth one that's compatible with an iOS device (Apples' Bluetooth stack is notoriously faddy). It sometimes gives up on the ODBII connector but is still powered and running. Works again if I unplug it and plug it back in (turn it off and on again anyone?)

The list of "compatible hardware" is here http://www.palmerperformance.com/hardware/, but expensive once you add shipping (hence my foray into amazon)

App was about £30 (horrifically expensive for an app, but err £30!). Now I've just got to get Mrs Andy to drive for a long distance, so I can play with it!! :)

Now I've just got to find out what stuff like "Lambda" "MAF" and "AFR" are !

232hp ;-)

6100lbft!! Must be an awesome clutch.

Re:

What make of mount do you use that fits in the cupholder?
rob

Re:

lol Stu, what can I say, Pendle can do some awesome remaps :)

Robo, I bought this iPad mini holder on Amazon. It's quite solid & chunky as I didn't want it flapping around. The mini is a perfect size for in-car IMO, nowhere near as heavy as a full fat iPad, so needs far less securing. The cup part twists and recesses the diameter from 65-105mm, so you can make it fit quite snug into the mahoosive (otherwise wobbly) Cali cup holders
41gNO5eYDIL.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AYD0UEY/?tag=eliteelect-21

Andy

Attachments

• 41gNO5eYDIL.jpg
    41gNO5eYDIL.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Re:

Hi Andy

I've received my OBDII connector from eBay, and as usual the instructions are non-existent.

What's the protocol for using a connector of this type? Mine is a direct plug in. Is it okay to leave it in whilst starting the vehicle? Can you leave it permanently in? Cant seem to find any answers on the web....

I've bought a cheap app to start with, before I invest in the £34 one...

Thanks in advance...

tim

Re:

Oops, seem to have missed this reply... sorry!

As far as I am aware, it's safe to leave plugged in. Although I've tended to remove mine when not in use. It depends on the dongle you have, if it's from a reputable co you shouldn't have issues certainly when starting the car, mine is fine. Prob best to check with the manufacturer, if you're unsure.

Andy

Re:

Andy - thanks for the info. Will get it out of my desk drawer now! T