Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Teething problems

M

Moosecakecali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hey folks

bought my first California, a 3.5 year old Ocean 150 in blue from the VW Dealer in Newcastle.

on inspecting it I found a few broken things like a cupboard door which they agreed I could get Fixed and invoice them for. I also noted the leisure batteries read 6.5 v and wouldn’t power the internet lights unless with the engine on. They said this was just because it hadn’t been run for a while And everything had been tested and was fine.

when I got it home the list of things wrong started to multiply and so I dropped and email also noting that even after an extended mains charge the leisure batteries lose charge in 10-15 mins and then things stop working, the keys to the water filler cap were missing etc. no response.

I emailed them again as I had not received the details of the extended 2 year warranty I purchased and now they are not responding to phone calls or emails. I’m faced with a bill to get the items fixed, replaced.

the question is this normal at a proper VW dealership or so it my problem for not challenging these things harder on sale. They said it came minimum with a 3 months lookers van centre warranty as well as the warranty I purchase on top, but agin I have no paper work only the V5, they said everything else would follow by email.

I only went to a vw centre because on the vw website it claims they offer

“Our Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Approved Used programme gives you the peace of mind that comes from a comprehensive Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Warrantyand Roadside Assistance…..” etc I don’t even have the cover details for the roadside assistance or even know who it is with!

I’m getting a bit worried TBH. Have I been had over by VW?

what should I do?
thanks

matt

No, not normal. Try the dealer's branch manager, then the main guy in charge of the dealer group (if applicable)

If all else fails then Call VW customer services (make sure it's the commercial number) and grumble at them. They can be pretty useless but persist and all will come right.

6v on a leisure battery is a dead battery....

No, not normal. Try the dealer's branch manager, then the main guy in charge of the dealer group (if applicable)

If all else fails then Call VW customer services (make sure it's the commercial number) and grumble at them. They can be pretty useless but persist and all will come right.

6v on a leisure battery is a dead battery....
Thanks. This what I thought, if this was a car dealership I would have expected better service. In Fact now I reread what I wrote it just sounds ludicrous on such an expensive vehicle!

I think I’ll write a letter and lay it all out. Then if I don’t get anywhere I’ll do what you said and go to VW direct.

thanks!

well I guess it’s not an advert for VW lookers

Some van centres lack a sense of service, as ever it comes down to the individual you deal with. Plenty have similar tales.

Good luck, it will be worth it in the end.

Thanks. This what I thought, if this was a car dealership I would have expected better service. In Fact now I reread what I wrote it just sounds ludicrous on such an expensive vehicle!

I think I’ll write a letter and lay it all out. Then if I don’t get anywhere I’ll do what you said and go to VW direct.

thanks!

My Lookers experience was mixed and familiar the lack of communication once sold a contrast to my local VW centre which seems very good so far, two services on.

Do you have it in writing that the dealer will pay for making the vehicle “as it should be” ?

do you / the dealer have a list of the items they agreed to correct ?

what does their guarantee cover ?

Are you trying to contact the sales department? If so they now do not care as you have completed your business with that department.

Now you need to contact the After sales manager initially restate your case. (Time is of the essence)

state the lack of paperwork issue
state the lack of communication on their part
state your displeasure

offer the dealer the chance to rectify all these issues themselves (important to do this)

Failing that, it sounds like initially you need to door step the dealer!

if the above fails :

Get quotes for all items to be corrected, including the battery so you have a total figure (suggest you get alternative VW main dealer quotes emailed to you for parts and labour)
email the quotes and total for the work (specifically stating the total including VAT etc) to the dealer, advising that if you do not hear from them within x time (suggest 5 working days) you will proceed to have the remedial works carried out and charge the dealer accordingly (as agreed by the dealer previously).

offer the dealer the chance to rectify these issues themselves (important to do this)

if they fail to respond by return, advise them in writing that you will have the work carried out by a third party.
present the dealer with one invoice for the total cost, supported by copies of the invoices for the work / parts etc, advising the dealer that if the bill remains unpaid for 14days, you will seek to recover the costs for the remedial work via county court ( remember the dealer previously agreed to remedial works cost being covered by the dealer).
ideally send a letter recorded delivery with the invoice and course of recovery if the invoice remains unpaid.

Why has the dealer not offered to fix the issues themselves , they have access to the parts and labour, why would they want to pay a third party mark up on labour and parts ?

keep all records of communication. (Or lack of it)

Call the call centre number 0344 659 7716

ask for the after sales manager (see below) and state that you have a complaint and give them some details (they record calls and report to management customer complaints)

64D57E4F-D784-4A27-AA0B-214F0D731493.png

9A572D32-A1D2-4190-922D-440B18CDB1F7.jpeg

thanks!

Could not agree more about Lookers, similar experiences in Cumbria particularly lack of communication and customer service.
I keep having basic issues such as service intervals being incorrectly set and having to return van to centre to have them reset (2 out of 3 services) and slow progress in diagnosis of an issue and rectification.
Regarding your purchase, if it was under the VW approved used scheme, these come with an extended warranty between 6 months (for a 3.5 year old vehicle) up to 12 months or balance of 3 year manufactures warranty (whichever better) if under 3 years old as standard in the used vehicle purchase price.

What additional cover did you purchased?

If no joy with Lookers as suggested above go through VWCS, as this dealer’s attitude will be affecting the reputation of the approved used program.

In the first instance please write to us at: Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Warranty, PO Box 869, Warrington, WA4 6LD;
Or email us at: customerservices@vwcv-usedwarranty.co.uk;
Or telephone us on +44 333 043 3784.
If you are not satisfied with any response we have a complaint handling procedure that
you can use to resolve matters. If you are
not satisfied following the conclusion of this procedure, the Motor Ombudsman Service and Conciliation Service will offer free impartial advice and, when appropriate, an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service that we are fully committed to in the event that you are not satisfied with the outcome of a dispute. For further information you can visit their website at www.themotorombudsman.org or call their Consumer Advice Line: 020 7344 1651
www.themotorombudsman.org or call their Consumer Advice Line: 020 7344 1651

Unfortunately, the warranty terms appear to exclude most of the California camping features!

VW could do better !!!

I just wanted provide an update on Lookers Newcastle, 4+ months on they have still not paid for the repairs.

Avoid at all costs. Find another van centre.

Back