Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate stand VW T6 T6.1 California - experience and alternatives?

I

ioich

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

Tailgate stand VW T6 T6.1 California​

I spotted this simple product for blocking the tailgate open and wondered whether anyone had any experience of this product or can propose alternatives or simple hacks. In the winter in particular, at low temperatures I find that the tailgate struggles to stay open. Plus seeing we're planning on getting a sliding tray for the rear annd cook under the tailgate, so it needs to stay up!

Noticed maximum load supported is 15kgs so no bikes up there.

ATTENTION!!! :

The use of this accessory is expressly at your own risk.

We are not liable for any damage to the vehicle or to persons (DANGER TO LIFE)!

Do not overload the stand! (for our safety max 15 kg)

Noticed maximum load supported is 15kgs so no bikes up there.

ATTENTION!!! :

The use of this accessory is expressly at your own risk.

We are not liable for any damage to the vehicle or to persons (DANGER TO LIFE)!

Do not overload the stand! (for our safety max 15 kg)
Yeh, I saw that. I wouldn't want to block it open with the bikes on. Just garantee that it doesn't drop down whilst taking a shower or cooking.

have you tried lifting the tailgate all the way ? the last inch provides some sort of lock and the tailgate will remain opened. This is provided you have the latest 1270Nm 7E7 827 550 E gas struts.

I bought one of these.
Same principal but a lot cheaper, from a uk company and they had stock.

I bought one for 200mm stroke which is slightly too short.
If buying again I would go for the 220mm version and risk having to cut it down.
I wouldn’t use it to hold up the tailgate with a loaded bike rack, just to make sure it stays open in cold weather as with 2 extra chairs it only stays up on a hot day.
7430B2B9-9D73-4AF0-B5C6-CFC1C6675720.jpeg

A6CA82EF-6449-41BB-9815-258157DE723C.jpeg

View attachment 85148
That is an awful amount of weight on the Gas Strut mounting points.

That is an awful amount of weight on the Gas Strut mounting points.
I would assume the gus struts mounting point must be able to withstand 1270Nm , i.e. the max force the gas struts have, plus some tolerance.
Bypassing the gas struts by placing such inserts that block their travel, you may risk exceeding the weight the mounting points can carry before snapping.
I could only see a case for them to hold the tailgate in place in very low temperatures, provided you haven‘t loaded the tailgate with more than what the gas struts could hold on their own in summer.

The definition of confidence over at terranger.deC23DF709-2E48-4537-9AE4-292DA1B5828E.png

I use the telescopic arm from an extendable washer/squeegee (where the washer head is removable). Think it was about £10 from somwhere like Wilko (not the one shown below - but similar). The washer/squeegee comes in handy anyway (for cleaning/drying the pull-out awning). I've wrapped 2 velcro strip around each end (and corresponding velcro pads on the bike-rack) and store it there when travelling - so always easy to hand. Takes a lot more weight than shown in these photos (e.g. with extra bikes). But get a good (albeit low-cost) one i.e. - test in the shop before buying - that will take the required weight. And check it's twist-&-locked when using.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Plasterers prop

1.20-2.95m Adjustable Height
Carbon Steel Construction
Locking Safety Catch
Max Loading Weight 40kg
£14.99

In my opinion, much safer using a prop, especially if the bicycle rack is loaded.

I use the telescopic arm from an extendable washer/squeegee (where the washer head is removable). Think it was about £10 from somwhere like Wilko (not the one shown below - but similar). The washer/squeegee comes in handy anyway (for cleaning/drying the pull-out awning). I've wrapped 2 velcro strip around each end (and corresponding velcro pads on the bike-rack) and store it there when travelling - so always easy to hand. Takes a lot more weight than shown in these photos (e.g. with extra bikes). But get a good (albeit low-cost) one i.e. - test in the shop before buying - that will take the required weight. And check it's twist-&-locked when using.

View attachment 85169

View attachment 85170

View attachment 85171

View attachment 85172
I like this idea. It’s simple and does the job

I think the weight has moved to be over the roof once the tailgate is fully open
No. Most of the weight will be on the Gas strut fittings especially the lower fittings as the weightiest part is the lower half of the tailgate. With a bike rack, especially if loaded, the rack weight is probably 70-30 between struts and tailgate hinges.

If you don't want to store an extra pole at the back:
or
pk80550_1.jpg
Very compact, but indeed, these solutions would keep the extra weight on the lower strut fittings.

Last edited:

View attachment 85148
Is that a metal safety locking tube? Love the sliding tray - currently on my wishlist. Did you go for max depth with the bed down?

If you don't want to store an extra pole at the back:
or
View attachment 85253
Very compact, but indeed, these solutions would keep the extra weight on the lower strut fittings.
very simple, although I'd fear damaging the struts with that metal screw head

I bought one of these.
Same principal but a lot cheaper, from a uk company and they had stock.

I bought one for 200mm stroke which is slightly too short.
If buying again I would go for the 220mm version and risk having to cut it down.
I wouldn’t use it to hold up the tailgate with a loaded bike rack, just to make sure it stays open in cold weather as with 2 extra chairs it only stays up on a hot day.
View attachment 85141
This looks perfect. I guess their permanently fitted right? No rattling whilst travelling? I wouldn't be using them with the bike rack loaded. Purely to avoid an accidental closure when unloaded.

have you tried lifting the tailgate all the way ? the last inch provides some sort of lock and the tailgate will remain opened. This is provided you have the latest 1270Nm 7E7 827 550 E gas struts.
I checked last weekend- no locking out on mine. I'll get a price for these at my VW dealer as I think i need them!

Tailgate stand VW T6 T6.1 California​

I spotted this simple product for blocking the tailgate open and wondered whether anyone had any experience of this product or can propose alternatives or simple hacks. In the winter in particular, at low temperatures I find that the tailgate struggles to stay open. Plus seeing we're planning on getting a sliding tray for the rear annd cook under the tailgate, so it needs to stay up!

Update on this product - It's been discontinued for safety reasons!!!

Update on this product - It's been discontinued for safety reasons!!!
In the description says now: Aufsteller nicht zu stark belasten! (zu unserer Sicherheit max 15 Kg)
I.e. do not load more than 15Kg. The bike rack is 14 KG on its own....

Back