Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate dents closing

Bigted

Bigted

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Grrrrr, got a small dent in the tailgate to the left of VW badge. The only thing I can think of is its got it from being pushed closed! Mine has alway had a very stiff tailgate ( to stiff to be able to use the inside hanging down handle) is this normal? I've never had this happen to a wagon before. Anyone else had this?

I'll have a word with the dealers on Monday - a tailgate should not dent just being shut!

Those tailgates have extra strong springs to support the weight of the chairs. It's easy to damage the tailgate if it hits something nearby.

By coincidence, a friend was telling me today this method to get rid of dings.

You need a hair dryer and one of those aerosols from Maplin which blows out compressed air for cleaning computer keyboards etc.

Heat the area up with the hair dryer until it's nice and hot. Then, hold the aerosol upside down (so it ejects the propellant which will be freezing) and squirt on the dent. Apparent the dent pops out .... haven't tried it myself but would be interested to know if it works :)

Just read about the hot/cold method.

It's in a spot where it's very unlikely to have hit anything on the way up and a natural position to put one hand when closing.

Had an Audi once and her indoors dented the tailgate within a couple of weeks. Fitted perfectly with hand / finger spread. I only use the bump protector or number plate when closing the boot on the Cali. Have a look at a PDR repair

I know a good PDR bloke (had a skoda he took a few out of). Shall only use number plate as the lever point from now on! I'll wait till I have a few more as it's cheaper to get a few done at the same time (2 dents in 3 months so far - other one on passenger door done by a lovely person in a white car in a car park). Still it's bloody annoying.

Alternatively, you could fit a VW bike rack. It would help to hide your ding and it provides a fab big handle to gently ease the boot closed.

Those tailgates have extra strong springs to support the weight of the chairs. It's easy to damage the tailgate if it hits something nearby.

By coincidence, a friend was telling me today this method to get rid of dings.

You need a hair dryer and one of those aerosols from Maplin which blows out compressed air for cleaning computer keyboards etc.

Heat the area up with the hair dryer until it's nice and hot. Then, hold the aerosol upside down (so it ejects the propellant which will be freezing) and squirt on the dent. Apparent the dent pops out .... haven't tried it myself but would be interested to know if it works :)
Sounds interesting - I've got some compressed air so might try it on a small door dent on my transporter.
I did buy a dent pulling kit off fleabay a while back but have been too scared to try it as it involves glueing it to the paintwork!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Back