Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bellows fitted to my T5

Jukebox70

Jukebox70

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just had some warranty issues carried out on the Cali including replacement of the bellows.
They replaced the bellows with the new T6 ones, they look so much more rip proof, rot proof and waterproof, looks like there will be no need to use a topper anymore. Still got a rattly table though.

They also let in all the light, so it will be early starts for you without the topper.
They also act as a projector screen to the whole campsite of any activities taking place in an illuminated interior.......

Last edited:
I guarantee if you get them caught in the scissor mechanism they will rip

Seems we found the first enthousiast off the new fabric!

@Jukebox70 , don't mind our comments we three of us are jealous , not owning a 6-er;)

There has been some pro's and con's out on the new fabric but does it actually IS better waterproof we not heard of yet . Guess becose most use a topper.
If you are planning not to use a topper we would love to hear how it copes in the rain.

Seems we found the first enthousiast off the new fabric!

@Jukebox70 , don't mind our comments we three of us are jealous , not owning a 6-er;)

There has been some pro's and con's out on the new fabric but does it actually IS better waterproof we not heard of yet . Guess becose most use a topper.
If you are planning not to use a topper we would love to hear how it copes in the rain.
It is waterproof our bellows cope with driving heavy rain & quickly dried the next day.
Is it described " as waterproof " .
Not much problem with entertaining fellow campers, turn the dimmer roof lights down ;)
We like waking up early, similar experience of early morning light camping in tents .

Last edited:
Difficult to compare unless you have had experience of both - id like to think the T6 addressed a few of the T5 roof niggles including weatherproofing

The bellows struts also seem more robust on the T6 and more inclined to fold inwards so less risk of them 'popping out'. I've heard of someone who has driven a T5 and T6 who has experienced this and also agrees it is more robust. I've not driven the T5 but witnessed first hand a T5 bellow 'pop out' at the last minute on closing - quite frightening and I can see why people are nervous about ripped bellows and do a walk around whilst closing.
As @T4WFA suggests - if the light coming in is a problem then a topper (or liner) soon solves that.

They also let in all the light, so it will be early starts for you without the topper.

Flipside is that the interior will be a lot lighter without having to open the windows and let in a breeze during the daytime. I find my T5 quite dark during the day in winter when the bellows windows aren't open.

The bellows struts also seem more robust on the T6 and more inclined to fold inwards so less risk of them 'popping out'.
I think the later T5s had these struts too, mine has.

I think the later T5s had these struts too, mine has.
Maybe not all of them (?) as this was a 65 plate T5 I believe so not that much older than the T6's..

Model Year 2015 had them so introduced June/July 2014. Mine has them, made July 2014

Maybe not all of them (?) as this was a 65 plate T5 I believe so not that much older than the T6's..
From memory (not getting the Cali out of the garage) there are 2 struts on each side of the roof fabric that fold inwards at their middle point, I don't think early Calis had as many as this, how many on your T6?

Model Year 2015 had them so introduced June/July 2014. Mine has them, made July 2014
Then I wonder if they've been changed as the T6 bellows seem to be stronger / more resistant to popping out (although now I've said that mine will probably do exactly that next time I close the roof!).
Unless of course it was the curse of not using a bungee - which I have done since new and the 65 plate T5 didn't have...
Now I'm suspecting the answer is the latter if you are saying the struts have been around a while longer.

I have always used a bungee every little helps.

Difficult to compare unless you have had experience of both - id like to think the T6 addressed a few of the T5 roof niggles including weatherproofing
We have experience of both , hired a T5 several times before finally ordering.
We find the cab space lighter during the day with the roof/ bed up in the T6

Last edited:
I
They also act as a projector screen to the whole campsite of any activities taking place in an illuminated interior.......
I want to follow you on campsites to have a glimpse of projection on fabulous and mysterious things happening inside. :) Some have to understand that 99,99% don't give a f on what others are doing :)

What is a topper? Don't say it's a tall hat.

Hi and welcome on your first post , a topper is indeed a tall hat for your Cali ....
You need to do some research on the forum and find out what strange things we do with our Cali's;)

Have also had to replace bellows on my T5 under warranty, now have new T6 bellows, they look and feel great, however the seams did let drips of water through in a torrential storm, we will be using our cover from now on. Cover also helps to keep cool in hot climate.

Actually this picture was taken in Spain.

It don't takd too much but could be a little anoying deal with it, mainly whe it's wet and you have to folder it.

Another option is an internal topper. When I tool this picture it was wearing both, internal an external, and inside was boiling with the parking heater.

Most of the time I use only the internal one and it's enought.