Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1inconvenient rear cabin electrical systems

• Thread starter normnortonocean
  • Start date
The air inlet for the Parking Heater is on the Drivers step,RHD, [ passenger step LHD]. The inlet temperature sensor is in the air inlet to the heater unit.
The heater controls control the air inlet temperature and will keep the heater operating until the air inlet temperature matches the Temperature Level set on the Control panel.
On a cold day with drivers window open, as cold air is denser, the air inlet temperature drops as it draws in more cold air from the open window so the Parking Heater stays on full power for longer until the air inlet temperature , composed of cabin air and cold air from the open window, matches the Control panel temperature level and then the heater gradually backs off to a maintenance level or goes into standby with a low fan speed. Once the inlet air temperature drops the heater output increases.

Thanks ! That makes it clear :).

Thank you, helpful comments! My apologies for some errors in my original post, but I find I cannot edit them. Never mind, it was written in a 'grumpy old man' mood after another weekend of lights battling :)

Relieved that someone else sees the lunacy of the systems design.

But thank you Andy for pointing out the 'camping' mode. And I will attempt again to read the manual (only read manuals if the new object is so poorly designed that the user cannot get it to work). I am guessing that 'camping' mode cancels itself if you start the engine? Perhaps it keeps the radio on for longer and lets me use the seat lights for reading !?!! I live in hope :cool: But Babble seems not to have improved his wellbeing with a knowledge of 'camping' mode so I need to be cautious.

Using the lights above the seats would be a very low current draw as they are LED.
As a side note re lights - has anyone noticed that the cupboard lights and strip lights around the exterior of the cupboard now come on when unlocking?? These used to be manually controlled only on 2022 T6.1 - on ours anyway!!

As a side note re lights - has anyone noticed that the cupboard lights and strip lights around the exterior of the cupboard now come on when unlocking?? These used to be manually controlled only on 2022 T6.1 - on ours anyway!!
The strip light on both our 2020 and 2023 always came on with the door opening. Not sure about the cupboards as the doors always shut.

The strip light on both our 2020 and 2023 always came on with the door opening. Not sure about the cupboards as the doors always shut.
Ours only started doing it about 4 weeks ago!!

Given all the responses hopefully you are better informed about the lights and heater etc. The light mentioned by @andyinluton is really useful. It’s the M+7 model by the way with the 12v plug.
I have one question for you though.. Have you had any issues with the alarm going off while camping or have you managed to sort that one?
As for this Osram Onyx light, is the one with 12v plug a better choice than the one with the USB plug ? Is seems to me you can plug the USB one in a 12v conversion plug but not the other way around ? Or is the light intensity less of the USB one ?

Stefan.

Yes I think its always been like that but it clarifies why sometimes it stays on & sometimes it doesn't.

I use it a lot in winter, defrost the van by turning the heater on via the remote, & keep the aux heater running for a couple of miles until the dashboard heater is up to temperature. By not using the dash heating the engine warms up quicker.
Ive found that in the mornings at around 7degrees and engine interior heating on, it takes ages for the engine to warm up. For both engine longevity and keeping me warm, Im using the immediate heating (with keyfob) auxiliary heater function more often now.

Back