Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 headunit upgrade - Newbie question alert!

J

Jonty54332992

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

Are there any good recommendations for a decent headunit upgrade, looking for the following:
1) DAB
2) CD (although that's not that important TBH)
3) Operating system compatible with Android & iPhone.
4) Navigation
5) Reverse camera compatible
6) Parking sensor compatible

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Are there any good recommendations for a decent headunit upgrade, looking for the following:
1) DAB
4) Navigation

Thanks in advance
Kenwood 8019 dabs + VW interface lead

Contact Absolut5

We love it. Volume dial you press to engage Siri. Front usb socket so future proof
IMG_3039.jpeg
You have to take the entire van apart to stop parking sensors so don’t worry about that.

Hi,

1) DAB
4) Navigation

Thanks in advance
Sorry forgot to say its for a T5 (2011) thanks

Ours is in 2008 T5. I love CarPlay and Waze, Google maps etc.
My wife falls asleep so the Siri function is useful.
I like the front cable but not everyone will.
We had it fitted for about £200. We didn’t connect camera as I’m happy with the audio sensors that are independent of the stereo. You can though.
No cd.

Last edited:
Ours is 2012 + Kenwood 8019 dabs, if you add the Kenwood interface lead ( do not buy a generic lead, as you don’t get full functionality), it will display parking sensors, climate, heated seats etc on the Head unit & existing steering wheel controls will still work. Waze or Google maps from your phone will get mirrored onto the head unit. Speech recognition for WhatsApp etc, and will read out incoming messages to you.

Also has inputs for Kenwood dash cam & rear view camera.

You just need to disconnect the VW Bluetooth module, normally sits under the glove box..glovebox is easy to remove; the headunit has its own Bluetooth module built in. You can then run one of the units USB leads to the back of the glovebox so you can charge your phone out of sight.

I fitted one of these a few months ago to my 2010 T5.1. Very easy plug-and-play install and is a VW OEM unit, as fitted to millions of their vehicles. Cheaper than the Alpine option and has everything you want except for a CD slot (although you could use the SD card slot if you're going to have music other than on your phone). It doesn't have DAB but you can, of course, just stream radio from your phone or use FM if the signal is good. As the T5 has dual aerials, you need a 2:1 aerial adapter to install. It's currently £285 and no fitting costs are involved as it's a simple DIY job. I've posted a link to a great YouTube video for the installation.

2010 t5.1 fitted a ke
kenwood 8020dabs, no built in navigation but as i use AA and Google maps didnt need the built in nav. Easy to fit works great only dislike being no rotary volume control just separate small buttons for up/dn volume.

I can very much recommend the CAWELL headunit that is being offerend on Amazon.
Installation is very trivial, sound quality is great, great equalizer / balance left right front adjustment.
A lot of memory, built in 4G support if you wish, the entire android ecosystem of apps.
But you probably won't use most of it because it has built in Android Auto and Apple Car
Screen is very bright also in direct sunlight and you preserve the factory integrated look.
The volume buttons are not the most convenient (thats because of a 9inch screen) but if you have the steering wheel controls that's no issue.
Alternatively, if you dont have them, you can go for this instead

This is my third android car radio, I always bought < 100 euro this time I went a bit higher and it's just brilliant.
I ordered my cali in 2015 without a radio and I still spent less than the price of the factory radio all three of them combined.

Having the latest greatest multimedia features, talking to chatGPT app, podcasts audio navigation through maps is a nice upgrade to a slowly aging car.

We love it. Volume dial you press to engage Siri. Front usb socket so future proof
View attachment 108898
You have to take the entire van apart to stop parking sensors so don’t worry about that.
Sorry to jump in on this but thinking of possibly getting this for my 2013 Cali Ocean T5.1... How have you found it so far? Assume you can still use normal radio for this or by installing this does it also give you DAB as well as Apple CarPlay etc??

Do you possibly have any photos of it installed?

Thank you in advance

Sorry to jump in on this but thinking of possibly getting this for my 2013 Cali Ocean T5.1... How have you found it so far? Assume you can still use normal radio for this or by installing this does it also give you DAB as well as Apple CarPlay etc??

Do you possibly have any photos of it installed?

Thank you in advance
1710447527117.jpeg
I really like it. Not everyone will like the front USB connection but I find it simple and future proof - if you change your phone type just get a new wire. We have a short curly usb to Apple cable, and rest my phone on the tray above.

There are 2 versions. We have the DAB one but you can play several digital channels via phone/CarPlay I think.

Make sure you have the same size hole. It’s called double DIN.

View attachment 120405
I really like it. Not everyone will like the front USB connection but I find it simple and future proof - if you change your phone type just get a new wire. We have a short curly usb to Apple cable, and rest my phone on the tray above.

There are 2 versions. We have the DAB one but you can play several digital channels via phone/CarPlay I think.

Make sure you have the same size hole. It’s called double DIN.
Thank you thats great. I have a T5.1 Cali so think this should fit fine. Not too sure I will attempt to fit it myself so may buy one and then pay someone to install it for me.

Thanks again

That’s what I did.
Sorry to be a pain, do you know how much roughly they charged you to install it?? I have been quoted £200 for the install including parts required.... its almost as much as the stereo itself!

Sorry to be a pain, do you know how much roughly they charged you to install it?? I have been quoted £200 for the install including parts required.... its almost as much as the stereo itself!
I paid £250!
It massively updated my 2008 vehicle. Back in the day they used to charge £1k for car satnav systems. Mad.

It was just the Canbus stuff that worried me. I didn’t want it draining the battery.

I fitted one of these a few months ago to my 2010 T5.1. Very easy plug-and-play install and is a VW OEM unit, as fitted to millions of their vehicles. Cheaper than the Alpine option and has everything you want except for a CD slot (although you could use the SD card slot if you're going to have music other than on your phone). It doesn't have DAB but you can, of course, just stream radio from your phone or use FM if the signal is good. As the T5 has dual aerials, you need a 2:1 aerial adapter to install. It's currently £285 and no fitting costs are involved as it's a simple DIY job. I've posted a link to a great YouTube video for the installation.

Excuse me for asking how did you get around the vans Bluetooth links. When I use mine and someone rings me it still wants to go through VW Phone rather than the new VW Radio? Everything else works fine including steering wheel controls, etc. As you state easy to install (great video) - I also bought the same model as you from the same company.

Excuse me for asking how did you get around the vans Bluetooth links. When I use mine and someone rings me it still wants to go through VW Phone rather than the new VW Radio? Everything else works fine including steering wheel controls, etc. As you state easy to install (great video) - I also bought the same model as you from the same company.

You need to unplug the vans factory BT module (normally under the glove box - so need to remove glovebox, think its 4 screws), as the new headunit has its own built in bluetooth - you will need a new mic if the unit is not supplied with one - you can get one that fits into the vw mic holder above the drivers head..(see photos) - ps .i have one for sale!

IMG_5262.jpegIMG_5263.jpeg

You need to unplug the vans factory BT module (normally under the glove box - so need to remove glovebox, think its 4 screws), as the new headunit has its own built in bluetooth - you will need a new mic if the unit is not supplied with one - you can get one that fits into the vw mic holder above the drivers head..(see photos) - ps .i have one for sale!

View attachment 120459View attachment 120460
Thanks for that, I’ll take a look. I think the RDS360+ has an inbuilt mic. But I’ll bear your mic in mind!

It was just the Canbus stuff that worried me. I didn’t want it draining the battery.

If you get a wiring kit simialr to below, its very straightforward. Better still speak to absolut5
who give excellent customer support for DIY fits.

When I fitted my xtrons unit, I did nothing but delete my phone from the Bluetooth memory in the van, no issues and works fine.

Also, the xtrons unit comes with a pre wired harness and canbus decoder. All I needed was a farka adaptor for the radio aerial. An absolute doddle to install.

Didn’t bother installing the aftermarket dab aerial as it looks horrendous in the window and I don’t listen to it anyway. I gather you can connect to the vans dab aerial with some adapters but couldn’t be bothered to look into it.

Back