Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 to T5, am I mad...

MrP

MrP

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hopefully not!

After years of drooling, have just been given an unrefusable offer of a 2008 174 manual with only 4500 miles on the clock (no there is not a 0 missing!) for a great price due to bereavement. Done all the correct checks on inspection and fully aware no use is misuse we took the punt.

Unfortunately, our beloved 1994 T4 2.4D Carthago Malibu had to go to help fund the new lady. Really sad to see her go, as we have had some great family outings and holidays in her and she has been 100% reliable.

However, I have had a few comments that I am mad to go for a T5 which sets in concerns, especially as the fridge has just decided to pack up (off to Penguin next week) and occasionally there is nothing at the key when trying to start. I am sure that the niggles will get sorted but are my underlying concerns over the increased technicals failing ever going to be allayed, only time will tell...

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
I'm sure you will grow to love it.
It is 8 yrs old and only done 4500 miles. The fridge doesn't work and starting is hit and miss.
Are the batteries, both Leisure and Engine original? If so I would seriously think about replacements. The California does not get on well with dodgy batteries.

Hi and welcome on your first post.
As said above first thing you need is new (i say all three) batterys . A Cali that age with that low milage , can't think they had it plugged in on hook-up all the time , so they might well be gone.
Very low milage! ......i was thinking i need to go out more as my 2012 SE only just done 40.000km ( not a daily driver it is)

Hi WelshGas and hotel California, thanks for your replies.

I have done 500 miles since purchase and she runs and drives like a different beast. She basically needed running in again. The owners had never slept in it and all covers and plastic wrap was still on everything.

I suspect the owners did not hookup either and am going to look to replace all batteries after Father Christmas has visited the kids! AGM batteries ain't cheap.

Have tested the starting battery and appears all good and pull down on start is within voltage limits. Have read on other forums there are issues with earths and starter motors. The winter is coming so I guess if the battery is on the way out I will soon find out...

The fridge is strange, have had on EHU for 12 hours and left on EHU. The control panel thinks the fridge is on, there is power to the fridge at the fridge control unit but it doesn't get cold. I have now gone beyond my abilities and working near Penguin means I am better off getting them to diagnose!!!

Thanks again for your responses.

Back