Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Switzerland - trips near Camping Jungfrau + Geneva

D

Dave bee

VIP Member
We're heading back to Canping Jungfrau again this year (went a couple of years ago and loved it)

Last time we headed to Stechelberg, parked the camper there and got the cable car up to Gimmelwald & Murren. We'd like to do similar (we're not into hiking...not with 3 kids, anyway) but we're considering whether it's worth the extra cost to go right up to Schilthorn (presumably we can still stop at Gimmelwald & Murren on the way or on the way down) or to Almendhubel.

We'd also consider travelling to Wengen - presumably bye train.

We're only there for 3 nights then onto Geneva for 4 nights (Geneva is new to us)

Any tips on things to see at Geneva and any advice regarding things like the Swiss Travel Pass and whether or not it would be worth our while getting for the 7 nights we're there?

Also, any tips on public parking with the camper - presuming height limits on most car parks

Thank you!

Mrs Dave Bee

My only tip is not to camp in the Municipal campsite in Geneva itself as it was a dump full of junkies and dirty needles everywhere..

We're heading back to Canping Jungfrau again this year (went a couple of years ago and loved it)

Last time we headed to Stechelberg, parked the camper there and got the cable car up to Gimmelwald & Murren. We'd like to do similar (we're not into hiking...not with 3 kids, anyway) but we're considering whether it's worth the extra cost to go right up to Schilthorn (presumably we can still stop at Gimmelwald & Murren on the way or on the way down) or to Almendhubel.

We'd also consider travelling to Wengen - presumably bye train.

We're only there for 3 nights then onto Geneva for 4 nights (Geneva is new to us)

Any tips on things to see at Geneva and any advice regarding things like the Swiss Travel Pass and whether or not it would be worth our while getting for the 7 nights we're there?

Also, any tips on public parking with the camper - presuming height limits on most car parks

Thank you!

Mrs Dave Bee
We too head to Jungfrau towards the end of August not sure where we are staying yet but the train up the mountain is on my bucket list. Be interested to hear your progress as I suspect you leave before us? We expect to be there around 22nd August

Mrs Whistler and myself stayed in Wengen for a week ( without the a camper ) at the end of May. We also stayed in Camping Jungfrau with a tent in 2008 but had a very bad experience with a large coachload of Kontiki ( Aussie/ NZ backpackers ) being on the site at the same time. Organised party got out of hand.

Anyway back to recent times. We walked past Camping Jungfrau and is just as we remember it which is a good site.

If we had to choose between the Jungfrau railway and Schilthorn it would be the Schilthorn. We went up the Schilthorn this trip but not the Jungfrau. The Jungfraujoch is full of large tourist groups and I think now reserved seating. Kliene Scheidegg ( Where you change) is very busy. I also think the view from the Schilthorn is better.

A cheaper way of getting up to the Schilthorn is the cable car from Lauterbrunnn to Grutschalp then the train from Grutschalp to Murren then the cable car up. You can also walk back from Murren to Grutschalp which is about 2 miles dropping about 150m in height on a good quality path beside the railway.

My only tip is not to camp in the Municipal campsite in Geneva itself as it was a dump full of junkies and dirty needles everywhere..

EEK! I think we're safe with Jungfrau camp, thankfully!

We too head to Jungfrau towards the end of August not sure where we are staying yet but the train up the mountain is on my bucket list. Be interested to hear your progress as I suspect you leave before us? We expect to be there around 22nd August

We're off at the beginning of August so can report back!

Mrs Whistler and myself stayed in Wengen for a week ( without the a camper ) at the end of May. We also stayed in Camping Jungfrau with a tent in 2008 but had a very bad experience with a large coachload of Kontiki ( Aussie/ NZ backpackers ) being on the site at the same time. Organised party got out of hand.

Anyway back to recent times. We walked past Camping Jungfrau and is just as we remember it which is a good site.

If we had to choose between the Jungfrau railway and Schilthorn it would be the Schilthorn. We went up the Schilthorn this trip but not the Jungfrau. The Jungfraujoch is full of large tourist groups and I think now reserved seating. Kliene Scheidegg ( Where you change) is very busy. I also think the view from the Schilthorn is better.

A cheaper way of getting up to the Schilthorn is the cable car from Lauterbrunnn to Grutschalp then the train from Grutschalp to Murren then the cable car up. You can also walk back from Murren to Grutschalp which is about 2 miles dropping about 150m in height on a good quality path beside the railway.

Oh, that's interesting - so the Grutschalp route is cheaper than Stechelberg route? We might be able to reduce the cost by doing a bit of walking - especially if downhill!

Oh, that's interesting - so the Grutschalp route is cheaper than Stechelberg route? We might be able to reduce the cost by doing a bit of walking - especially if downhill!
Have a look here https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/ especially the plan and book section, will give the times and cost of your ticket options. The Murren train station is the other end of the village from the cable car station, 10 minute walk perhaps.

Some other thoughts for you
Trummelbachfalle on the road to Stechelberg. Amazing waterfall caves, loud and wet. In fact it’s a flat walk there along a very quiet road from the Camping Jungfrau

Wengen is a quiet relaxing place but not a lot for kids and is only accesible by train or foot.

Grindelwald is busy with tourists but has a main road running to it and gives a very nice view of the Eiger

Hi.
We found parking in Geneva extremely difficult. But there were some lovely private ‘beach areas’ on the lake. You could spend all day there.
And maybe take some gold bullion with you as we found every5hing really expensive - especially days out on the train, food, drink, etc. but a lovely place.

Aztec

you can get to Wengen on the cog railway from lauterbruunen. cost 6.80 Chf . I was just there. camped at camping breithorn. near trummelbach falls.

Back