Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swing Away Tow Bar Mounted Bike Racks

I suspect it is well within tolerance and causes no issue but 32kg is 2kg more than the Epos is rated for a single bike. Its a shame they don't make a Epos 4 as I need to carry 4 bikes and I really like the look of the Epos.

I checked on this with the vendor (dachbox.ch) and they assured me it would be ok. That said, I wouldn’t mount 2 of these bikes. 1 of them with my daughters little bike is fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I suspect the stated max. weights are significantly under what the carrier can actually hold. What that tolerance is will be an industry secret but I doubt 32kg on a 30kg rated rack would be a problem. I'm looking at carriers at the moment, I need to be able to carry two adult bikes and two kids bikes. I think my only option is the Velospace XT3 with the additional rack.

Yes, I suspect the stated max. weights are significantly under what the carrier can actually hold. What that tolerance is will be an industry secret but I doubt 32kg on a 30kg rated rack would be a problem. I'm looking at carriers at the moment, I need to be able to carry two adult bikes and two kids bikes. I think my only option is the Velospace XT3 with the additional rack.

The Velospace also has the advantage of being able to mount their extra storage box if needed. I have an MFT BackBox for that purpose for trips to the dump!

Yeah, being able to add the storage box looks like a good option too, especially as my kids are only getting bigger.

Yeah, being able to add the storage box looks like a good option too, especially as my kids are only getting bigger.

And this brings another advantage of the swing away. Depending on what you have in the storage box it’s better the swing away than tilt down with contents inside.

I like the idea of the swing away holder but the price of that plus the XT3, the extension rack and the box quickly gets eyewateringly expensive.

I have a Thule Epos 3 and mount my Super73 RX Mojave to it which is 32Kg. The rack doesn’t budge at all when the swing away is locked in position. I drove from Luzern to Ticino without an issue.
Well yes. The basic design of these things does ensure that, when in the transit position, the actual swingy function sees virtually no load which is fine.
I would just much rather see a design that picks up on the chassis rails either side of the spare wheel rather than the tow hitch.
In addition a light simple method of bike attachment.

Well yes. The basic design of these things does ensure that, when in the transit position, the actual swingy function sees virtually no load which is fine.
I would just much rather see a design that picks up on the chassis rails either side of the spare wheel rather than the tow hitch.
In addition a light simple method of bike attachment.

The problem with that is it likely then requires homologation. But I agree this would be more solid.

Then you could fit one of these, assuming they were available in the UK.

Try to concentrate on the actual rack!

Why we can’t get stuff like this here is nuts. Type approval craziness.

Then you could fit one of these, assuming they were available in the UK.

Try to concentrate on the actual rack!

Why we can’t get stuff like this here is nuts. Type approval craziness.
This is the rack I wanted initially and I researched extensively how I could make it happen. In Switzerland changing the tow hitch to a 2 inch receiver is illegal and homologation is not possible (on a VW at least). Therefore I went with the only solution I could find and fortunately it doesn't require homologation at all. Super73 even has this rack on their US website as recommended. At any rate, I've had no issues at all with the swing away I chose with the Epos 3. So all good.

Back