Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swing Away Tow Bar Mounted Bike Racks

C

Captainfunbags

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Afternoon all,

I am trying to source a swing away tow bar mount for a bike rack similar to the items in the links below. However, I am struggling to find something that has a UK style tow ball hitch. They all seem be the US hitch style.

HERE & HERE

Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA

Afternoon all,

I am trying to source a swing away tow bar mount for a bike rack similar to the items in the links below. However, I am struggling to find something that has a UK style tow ball hitch. They all seem be the US hitch style.

HERE & HERE

Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA
@Webbah_in_Switzerland, who posts here, has one in Switzerland (obviously ...) but I unable to find the details via search. You might have luck for example using a Google search.

Thanks mate,

I have some contacts that are fabricators so could possibly modify one but rather buy some thing 'off the shelf'

There is also the legality/insurance issue to consider

Thanks mate,

I have some contacts that are fabricators so could possibly modify one but rather buy some thing 'off the shelf'

There is also the legality/insurance issue to consider

Here’s the one I use:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting.

What is the connection type/style for both to the vehicle and to the rack ?

Here in the UK we have this style of tow ball

View attachment 121697

It’s exactly for this. Mine attaches to my towball and then when closed the SpaceMaker towball is about 9cm farther out. It’s also slightly higher due to the design but not an issue for me. Can support loads of up to 65-70Kg.

Perfect :)

I have messaged them to see if they can supply one to the UK.

Do you have any pictures of it in action ?

Thanks guys

Thanks guys

See why they say, otherwise my mechanic here works closely with Leighton Vans in the UK so he might be able to ship one there or something. He’s crazy busy though so that’s a last resort.

Thanks guys

22148ac684fe5a2534cda6d41cb0e096.jpg

47cf6ae66416f58b48b257a985242708.jpg

Photos of when I mounted it

I might just road trip over and collect :)

15f24f56db23a4fb4d2bfb12e1f197fb.jpg

I was mainly looking for something to extend my towball outward so the handle bars would clear the storage box I have on the back. And then found this which was a bonus to swing away. Love it for mounting my bike rack or another storage box!

So versatile, ideal for cleaning the bikes in situ away from the van.

I even thought about some kind of outdoor kitchen/box for cooking outside..

Those Memo ones are cheap and cheerful. If it’s too wide the just cut the arms and chop a bit out then weld it up again.

No just as in not as nice design and less aesthetic than the Swiss made one.

The Memo is just box section powder coated so easy to modify and make nice. It’s perfectly fine , well made and simple.

I’ve studied them at length with a view to making my own. I considered using a Memo as a donor.

Personally I don’t like the double tow ball design, rack on a rack approach especially when you’re using a heavy folding ebike rated rack on the swing out unit.

Using a swing out unit means you’ve solved the bikes-in-the-way-of-the-door problem so why add a folding rack as well. Non folding ones are available obvs.

In my op, there is a huge gap in the market for a lighter rack with a better method of mounting the bikes to the rack and certainly something a bit less obtrusive.

No just as in not as nice design and less aesthetic than the Swiss made one.

The Memo is just box section powder coated so easy to modify and make nice. It’s perfectly fine , well made and simple.

I’ve studied them at length with a view to making my own. I considered using a Memo as a donor.

Personally I don’t like the double tow ball design, rack on a rack approach especially when you’re using a heavy folding ebike rated rack on the swing out unit.

Using a swing out unit means you’ve solved the bikes-in-the-way-of-the-door problem so why add a folding rack as well. Non folding ones are available obvs.

In my op, there is a huge gap in the market for a lighter rack with a better method of mounting the bikes to the rack and certainly something a bit less obtrusive.

I have a Thule Epos 3 and mount my Super73 RX Mojave to it which is 32Kg. The rack doesn’t budge at all when the swing away is locked in position. I drove from Luzern to Ticino without an issue.

That said, I had the same concern initially but after speaking with the company and giving it a test I was convinced it would be fine. On the van side it has 2 securing bolts to lock onto the tow ball and it’s not going anywhere.

I suspect it is well within tolerance and causes no issue but 32kg is 2kg more than the Epos is rated for a single bike. Its a shame they don't make a Epos 4 as I need to carry 4 bikes and I really like the look of the Epos.

Back