Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swapping for non VW wheels for original wheels when Beach is new.

James B 2016

James B 2016

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, just about to buy a new Cali and this forum has been invaluable. Thanks.

I do have a question about wheels that I can't see answered elsewhere. I'd like to get plain black 17" wheels for the Cali and immediately sell the VW standard 16" and tyres that come with the beach. I'm not mad keen about the 17" VW option.

Has anyone done this? Does it affect VW warranty (obviously wheels won't be covered)? Anybody know how much I should expect to get for the original wheels? Also the wheels I like are Wolfrace. Does anyone know how good they are?

Hi there. My thoughts.
The standard alloys 16 inch are worth around
£500
The warranty should not be affected by changing wheels but insurance may be.
Just make sure the wheels you choose are load rated to your beach. What you need to do is check the axle weight under the bonnet and
Divide it by 2. So if the axle is 1600 kg you will need alloys that are rated at 800kg. If that makes any sense at all. Also the tyres will need a load rating of above 101 xl. I think most members choose 103 xl. Oh and dont forget to tell your insurance company you have put different wheels on. Shouldnt effect
The premium but better they know

many people have upgraded wheels after purchase. New condition 16" wheels are tricky - who would buy them (over 17" or 18")? I've kept mine and put my winter tyres on them.

In case you're interested I'm toying with the idea of selling my (black) VW Sportlines but they're 18" so might not be your thing

I only see my wheels when I walk to the van!

Just make very, very sure any wheels you purchase have the correct load rating for your vehicle. Likewise the tyres you put on.:thumb

Join the VW T5 Facebook forum, you won't have a problem selling them on there, lots of van owners/campervanners looking for alloys. T6 alloys with new tyres will sell, just look how much a new tyre alone is worth.

I'm old fashioned, but believe your Cali will be worth less with the swap, unless you go for official vw wheels.

Thanks all useful advice. Really appreciate it. It's a shame that the VW cost to upgrade is so much. I'd probably go with that if they were the perfect wheels but they're not unfortunately..

many people have upgraded wheels after purchase. New condition 16" wheels are tricky - who would buy them (over 17" or 18")? I've kept mine and put my winter tyres on them.

In case you're interested I'm toying with the idea of selling my (black) VW Sportlines but they're 18" so might not be your thing

Hi Fred, if you do decide to sell your sportline alloys i would be interested in them.

Hi, I took your advice and today bought a set of 17" Devonport wheels which had come straight off a new T6 for £700. Hopefully like others have said I can sell the 16" wheels and tyres for £500-£600. Feeling pretty chuffed as VW wanted an additional £1,000 for the Davenport wheels and I should end up getting them for £200 or less.

Now I just have to wait for the new beach :)