Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storm names

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So after abigail, Barney and Clodah we now have Des boy coming in.

I can remember a day when the weather bloke ( I refuse to be PC and say weather person ... they were all blokes in those days) pointed to squiggly line, shrugged his shoulders, said in his terribly mellow English public school accent "expect a bit of windy weather and heavy rain" and went back to drinking his gin.

Now we have "Storm Agnes".... "deepening in the atlantic".... "Gathering speed over the western approaches"....... "Gasp! High drama! Making landfall at Burleigh Salterton!"

Has global warming gone to the heads of the weather person (now boring old bloke replaced by size 8 glamour girl)..... or do we really need it?

Answers on a postcard and don't dare mention Storm Jennifer, I'm still waiting on that to pass....

Quote (So afterabigail, Barney and Clodah we now have Des boy coming in.)
At least it's not del boy coming in lol

So after abigail, Barney and Clodah we now have Des boy coming in.

I can remember a day when the weather bloke ( I refuse to be PC and say weather person ... they were all blokes in those days) pointed to squiggly line, shrugged his shoulders, said in his terribly mellow English public school accent "expect a bit of windy weather and heavy rain" and went back to drinking his gin.

Now we have "Storm Agnes".... "deepening in the atlantic".... "Gathering speed over the western approaches"....... "Gasp! High drama! Making landfall at Burleigh Salterton!"

Has global warming gone to the heads of the weather person (now boring old bloke replaced by size 8 glamour girl)..... or do we really need it?

Answers on a postcard and don't dare mention Storm Jennifer, I'm still waiting on that to pass....
Burleigh Salterton??? Won't make landfall there as there's no such place!
Budleigh Salterton on the other hand....
Did my biggest contract this year there.

Sorry saw my chance to be pedantic there and couldn't resist

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Budleigh Salterton is a place engraved in my psyche.

I was walking the SWCP, backpacking, had a horrible fall near Torquay and by the time I reached BS was so badly in pain that I was forced to give up.

A nice sleepy place. I used to take my children there when they were young ...

Budleigh Salterton is a place engraved in my psyche.

I was walking the SWCP, backpacking, had a horrible fall near Torquay and by the time I reached BS was so badly in pain that I was forced to give up.

A nice sleepy place. I used to take my children there when they were young ...
And the kids just kept coming back again!
Nice try though!

They escaped via Sidmouth...

I must learn to drive faster :(

My Mum was at Sidmouth...

Piece of History. Her Mother was a refugee from a part of the middle east then in Turmoil, and now also in Turmoil...

French Arabesque who married a Widowed Durham coal miner and took on raising his 7 sons as well as having two of her own. My Mum ended up nursing Free French at a military hospital in Sidmouth before moving to London to join the waaf and getting bombed whilst on a RAF plotting station.

Just saw some footage on the 19h Belgian news....omg!
Everyone ok?

Very wet up here in Northumberland.

Just got through last night before they closed the road. The last few miles took an hour and a half. Cali with the four season tyres were great although I might treat "Bug" to air suspension. The holiday cottage was touch and go requiring a 10 point reverse manoeuvre to go through a smaller entrance due to flooding

What rain? Seems the country is divided into wet and dry :D

Travelled from Chester down the M56 - M6 to Walsall yesterday in the Cali and it was a bit blowy but dry all the way there and back. (Cali never wavered)

This morning left the Cali tucked up and went out with the bikers to Llyn Brenig for breakfast. The wind had dropped and when we got there the lake was calm as a mill pond. I left for home from there while the other three carried on to Tremadoc (near Porthmadog). The road was flooded just before they got there, one bike got through, second one stalled half way though and he had to put his feet down and got soaked up to his knees. Third bike also stalled and had to be pushed out, wouldn't start again. He's just got home now (9pm) after waiting around for hours with wet feet for the RAC to get his bike going again.

There was also a Merc driver got stuck and had to push his car out!

I think the clouds must have dumped all the rain over the Welsh hills before reaching central England!

What's the next one ..... Edna?

By the way, Llyn Brenig is a great place to stop off in your Cali, plenty of stopping places around the lake to picnic, or you can get a nice breakfast while sitting in the visitor centre overlooking the lake.

By wet I mean the ground! No rain today.

Well I lived further north I definitely wouldn't be calling a storm by some nice first name.
It would contain a lot of *******************

Im in agreement with Briwy haha or you call them "Storm Hold onto your hats" or "Storm Best Buy a Boat", "Storm Sideways snow"... then at least its giving you a clue as to the severity.

I used to like the old beaufort scale, if I'm not showing my age again.

I think the problem was that both Abigail and Barney moderated themselves considerably whereas Desmond in the final 48 hours was a real nasty. however they still remained talked about as Abigail, Barney, Clodagh etc whereas storm force 6 and storm force 10 tends to have more meaning behind it.

I don't need a storm naming after me :(

They seem to follow me around ....:shocked

I don't need a storm naming after me :(

They seem to follow me around ....:shocked
Know the feeling!
We've had fearsome storms in Holland at Easter. Then a monster one on Islay in July. No good when there are 3 of you and no shelter to hide behind.

Seems it's gonna be a wet newyear for some regions in the UK
Still those floods?

Was just again in the news here in Belgium

Last edited:
Back