Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Still legal??

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi

My tyre has started to wear on the outside edge yet when I went for a wheel alignment yesterday they said it was all spot on. Anyway I’d just like to check this is still legal as it’s my understanding it is but want to be sure

9AC365A6-224D-4D74-B51B-983B5572313B.jpeg

Yes legal but not for long, the markers are set to 2mm and the legal minimum is 1.6mm for 75% of the tread width, so as soon as the markers are flush with the tread, and the one in the centre looks like it is, you need to get them done.

I would also say that you need to drop your tyre pressure a tiny bit as you have worn the centre faster than the sides.

Yes legal but not for long, the markers are set to 2mm and the legal minimum is 1.6mm for 75% of the tread width, so as soon as the markers are flush with the tread, and the one in the centre looks like it is, you need to get them done.

I would also say that you need to drop your tyre pressure a tiny bit as you have worn the centre faster than the sides.
Thank you I will take a look at how close it is to the markers. The tyres are 18” 255/45/18 and was advised to set them all 44psi

Thank you I will take a look at how close it is to the markers. The tyres are 18” 255/45/18 and was advised to set them all 44psi
What vehicle do you have?
I run my 4Motion SE, fully packed apart from water at 44 all round and get even wear on 17" wheels. But a California Beach, not packed for camping, is lighter.

What vehicle do you have?
I run my 4Motion SE, fully packed apart from water at 44 all round and get even wear on 17" wheels. But a California Beach, not packed for camping, is lighter.
I have a 204dsg Cali Ocean. Used as a daily drive. Wouldn’t say fully packed, more empty apart from few things like kitchen utensils etc in the cupboard under hob. Nothing really in the back

I have a 204dsg Cali Ocean. Used as a daily drive. Wouldn’t say fully packed, more empty apart from few things like kitchen utensils etc in the cupboard under hob. Nothing really in the back
Did it come with 18" wheels? If so there should be a sticker on the Drivers B pillar, when you open the door, with the recommended tyre pressures.

Did it come with 18" wheels? If so there should be a sticker on the Drivers B pillar, when you open the door, with the recommended tyre pressures.
No it came with 17” originally but I’ll have a look at the door sticker because I’m sure that also mentioned 18” wheels as well.

I run 45psi but fully loaded, the sticker value is the starting point and only assessing the tyre like we just did will give you the real answer. Try running at 41 on the next set of tyres and measure the new tyre depths, then measure again in a few months and check for even wear and adjust accordingly.
After a couple of years you can get the wear rate near perfect for your setup, but don't lose sleep over it.

Most non VW supplied 18" wheels have a smaller offset which puts the wheel further out, this can result in the camber angle increasing slightly explaining your outer tyre wear.

That's an almost identical wear to the nearside front of my 204DSG Ocean. I replaced it last weekend. At the recent fist service, VW checked the alignment etc and I had it checked again when the new tyre was fitted. Apparently perfect.

Interestingly, VW added a comment on the service invoice to the effect that the wear was caused by driving with an under-inflated tyre (!) I have always run them at 44 -45psi.

20190404_203619.jpg

Tyre law isn't too complicated but we all think it is.
In sort you need to have tread at the required depth (for Campers 1.6mm) around the entire circumference in the central 3/4 of the tyre face. You can ignore an eighth at either edge. No cuts, lumps bulges anywhere, not over-inflated and not under-inflated; and that's all there is to it.
Of course you can always get complicated as we did on my Michelin accident investigators course, but let's leave castor angles for now.
I guess we know that Cali owners drive carefully in a very heavy van and don't want to rush anywhere. We choose the slow road and really do not want to leave it or run into something. The black rubbery things are the only thing holding you to earth so look after them.

It could be as simple as a frequent very sharp turn into your drive when the castor angle puts the tyre contact point on the edge. Wide low profile tyres are more likely to suffer wear due to this than narrower tyres.
Another factor can be aftermarket wheels with a low offset, wheels are at the edge of the wing rather than under.

Put you Cali on full lock and you'll see the effect. On some cars you hear the tyres screeching as they turn in multi-storey carparks with painted floors.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Have, exactly the same issues. Had several laser geometries and all were perfect.
Forget the tire pressure sticker! Inflate at max the tire can handle. 50PSI in most cases.
You hardly get any problems running higher Max pressure, you easily have them with underinflation.
If you start noticing uneven wear in the middle, then yes you overinflated. But you will NEVER see that on this heavy bus with almost sedan class tires.
My front wheels still tend to eat outer edge more and inner for the rear. I now have a good habit to swap wheels, front>back, front>back (X) each 8-10k km. Cost 10-20$ in any garage and takes 20 mins.
But running higher pressure improved the wear a lot.
Also take a look at tires with sturdier sides. Micheling Lattitude Cross AT are very good ones.

P.S. Make sure to check the rear ones from isnside! You might be having a cord there already. That's what I had in Norway when fronts were worn off like on your photo outside the rear's inside was falling apart.

Have, exactly the same issues. Had several laser geometries and all were perfect.
Forget the tire pressure sticker! Inflate at max the tire can handle. 50PSI in most cases.
You hardly get any problems running higher Max pressure, you easily have them with underinflation.
If you start noticing uneven wear in the middle, then yes you overinflated. But you will NEVER see that on this heavy bus with almost sedan class tires.
My front wheels still tend to eat outer edge more and inner for the rear. I now have a good habit to swap wheels, front>back, front>back (X) each 8-10k km. Cost 10-20$ in any garage and takes 20 mins.
But running higher pressure improved the wear a lot.
Also take a look at tires with sturdier sides. Micheling Lattitude Cross AT are very good ones.

P.S. Make sure to check the rear ones from isnside! You might be having a cord there already. That's what I had in Norway when fronts were worn off like on your photo outside the rear's inside was falling apart.
Will check that this morning

The 2mm is the 'bare minimum'. I never wear them down to that point. Sliding away on a wet road is not the moment to remember you should...