Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Start / Stop Function = button delete

Perfectos

Perfectos

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I hate the start stop function with a passion.
it cannot be good for the engine despite the marketing BS.
IMO it assists the manufacturer attain false emissions claims at the cost of wear and tear to the engine.

I always try to remember to switch it off, but quite often forget until the stop kicks in.

I was aware that some people had purchased & spliced a small circuit board into the factory wiring loom, I wasn’t keen on chopping into the factory loom So decided against.

recently I saw some cables coming up as a suggestion, which appear to do the job Without the need to slice a PCB into the loom. I.e a complete assembly with OEM connections.

I purchased a small pre cable assembly with an integrated circuit board, it remembers the last setting of the Start / Stop Button function.

Can be turned off to switch back to normal function if required by simply pressing the start / stop button To turn it back on (factory default)

very easy to fit, requires the centre decor trim, around the head unit, to be removed (T6 comfort Dash)
Trim tool placed In bottom left corner , next to glove box then work anti clockwise back to the top left corner.
pull the whole assembly forward and lift clear

use a trim tool to depress the metal tab on the top rear of Start / Stop button to release it from the dash.

Pull the cable forward so you can see the white plug in the back of the switch.

Unclip the white plug (depress the retaining clip with a small flat blade to release)

Plug the new cable in (Red connector to switch, black connector to loom).

re- assemble in reverse order.

Turn on ignition, press the Start stop button so it illuminates (turns off the function) . Turn ignition off.

Turn ignition back on , wait a few seconds and hey presto the Start stop button illuminates.

the last photo shows the listing for the cable (Ali Express, although they are readily available from all the usual outlets, Mega sellers, Auction sites etc. )

IMG_6156.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6157.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

Thanks Perfectos, I might have to do that to mine, it is something I switch off as soon as I start the engine, the symbol obscures the gear you're in on the display too, so never having to remember to turn it off again would be great.

I remember the guy doing this a few year ago. I hate the start stop too. He was berated by amarillo and all the rest for killing the planet. He actually left the forum. I think it's a great idea to fit that. Yes I will kill the planet by not renewing my battery and starter motor every 5 minutes.

I'd like to know what effect stop start has on turbos too, I remember reading years ago that if you've been driving your turbo vehicle hard and it's very hot, turning off the engine fries the bearings because suddenly there's no oil to cool them and that you should always idle the car for a minute or two when you get to your destination to let the oil cool the turbo bearings. I have no idea if this is true or not but seems reasonable. Wear on the engine from start stop must be more environmentally unfriendly than idling for a minute or so, it's when the majority of wear occurs.

I remember the guy doing this a few year ago. I hate the start stop too. He was berated by amarillo and all the rest for killing the planet. He actually left the forum. I think it's a great idea to fit that. Yes I will kill the planet by not renewing my battery and starter motor every 5 minutes.
Not to mention the potential engine oil dilution from un burnt diesel seep, additional wear from constant start up with zero oil pressure, Turbo cut out / cooling , clogging EGR, etc etc
The fact that the system has so many ways in which it has been programmed by VW not to work “stop“ should be a red flag.

I'd like to know what effect stop start has on turbos too, I remember reading years ago that if you've been driving your turbo vehicle hard and it's very hot, turning off the engine fries the bearings because suddenly there's no oil to cool them and that you should always idle the car for a minute or two when you get to your destination to let the oil cool the turbo bearings. I have no idea if this is true or not but seems reasonable. Wear on the engine from start stop must be more environmentally unfriendly than idling for a minute or so, it's when the majority of wear occurs.
I just posted similar :cheers

edit; some will say that the components have been designed to cope etc.
You cannot change the laws of physics!

Can’t you disable stop/start in Carista? Never looked but sounds like a setting it would have. I’m quite happy with it, but respect those who are not.

Can’t you disable stop/start in Carista? Never looked but sounds like a setting it would have. I’m quite happy with it, but respect those who are not.
Sadly not.

The additional cable makes it possible to turn it back on if required. It just annoys the heck out of me when you pull up to a junction and the engine cuts out, just when you want to move !

I just posted similar :cheers

edit; some will say that the components have been designed to cope etc.
You cannot change the laws of physics!
Don’t worry about it. Turbo’s in diesels are not as fragile as petrol units. Exhaust gas temperature is lower in diesel and there is an anti shudder valve that closes which means the turbo spins down in seconds. Also, it’s unlikely the turbo is spooled up when you’re just stop/starting in traffic.
Find something else to stress about. :Grin

That's the main reason that I hit the Stop/Start Off button every time.
The thought of an instant engine stop when coming off a long fast Motorway run at the slip road exit end roundabout junction rang alarm bells in my head.

Stop/start in urban traffic not an issue with me other than annoying delay starting at junctions so off there too.

Sadly not.

The additional cable makes it possible to turn it back on if required. It just annoys the heck out of me when you pull up to a junction and the engine cuts out, just when you want to move !
I don't know if this is a "feature" of the T6.1, but I can bypass the "stop" by lightly releasing the brake pedal just as I'm coming to a stop.

I’m too not a fan of the stop start and always turn it off when in. Mr Perfectos, did you notice the switch light up red (maybe in the dark which headlights on) like all the other buttons before it goes yellow? In another thread I was asking if anyone knew why my stop start and parking sensor buttons don’t light up red like the other buttons but turn yellow once pressed. I was asking if there is some sort of bulb that’s behind that could be replaced. Did you notice anything when changing the switch. I’m in a hotel abroad at the moment with rubbish Wi-Fi so your pictures won’t download

Photos now downloaded and I can see your parking sensor button lit up red. Can’t see any type of bulb though on the switch.

IMO it assists the manufacturer attain false emissions claims at the cost of wear and tear to the engine.

I always try to remember to switch it off, but quite often forget until the stop kicks in.

I was aware that some people had purchased & spliced a small circuit board into the factory wiring loom, I wasn’t keen on chopping into the factory loom So decided against.

recently I saw some cables coming up as a suggestion, which appear to do the job Without the need to slice a PCB into the loom. I.e a complete assembly with OEM connections.

I purchased a small pre cable assembly with an integrated circuit board, it remembers the last setting of the Start / Stop Button function.

Can be turned off to switch back to normal function if required by simply pressing the start / stop button To turn it back on (factory default)

very easy to fit, requires the centre decor trim, around the head unit, to be removed (T6 comfort Dash)
Trim tool placed In bottom left corner , next to glove box then work anti clockwise back to the top left corner.

use a trim tool to depress the metal tab on the top rear of Start / Stop button to release it from the dash.

Unclip the white plug (depress the retaining clip with a small flat blade to release)

Turn on ignition, press the Start stop button so it illuminates (turns off the function) . Turn ignition off.

Turn ignition back on , wait a few seconds and hey presto the Start stop button illuminates.

the last photo shows the listing for the cable (Ali Express, although they are readily available from all the usual outlets, Mega sellers, Auction sites etc. )

View attachment 123305

View attachment 123306

View attachment 123307

View attachment 123308

View attachment 123309

View attachment 123310

View attachment 123311
Will this work on a 6.1?
Post the link to aliexpress please.
Love my bits n bobs from aliexpress.
Okay, sometimes it takes 2 months to arrive.
But £70 for a defender rear wheel cover compared to £250.
No brainer.

Will this work on a 6.1?
Post the link to aliexpress please.
Love my bits n bobs from aliexpress.
Okay, sometimes it takes 2 months to arrive.
But £70 for a defender rear wheel cover compared to £250.
No brainer.
Yes it will work on the T6.1,

but will require a different cable, the connectors are different (the listing usually state t6 / T6.1 )

removal of the start stop button on a T6.1 is far easier. simply pop out the assembly

I’ll see if I can find a post from the T6 forum regarding t6.1 cable

Photos now downloaded and I can see your parking sensor button lit up red. Can’t see any type of bulb though on the switch.
All dash buttons light up red, I assume they use a small LED, probably part of the circuit and controlled via the lighting circuit

Yes it will work on the T6.1,

but will require a different cable, the connectors are different (the listing usually state t6 / T6.1 )

removal of the start stop button on a T6.1 is far easier. simply pop out the assembly

I’ll see if I can find a post from the T6 forum regarding t6.1 cable
Found a post re T6.1 start stop cable

page 462 post 9924

hope that helps

please ensure you do you own research : this is what I found , it may be the correct one DYOR

VW Multivan T6.1 T-cross for Skoda Fabia Automatic Stop Start Engine System Off Device Control Sensor Plug Stop Cancel Cable

View attachment 123305

View attachment 123306

View attachment 123307

View attachment 123308

View attachment 123309

View attachment 123310

View attachment 123311
this is a brilliant piece of kit, I bought one from a Chinese supplier a few years back.
You can deactivate/activate when required. If in slow moving stop start traffic, one press and stop start disabled. Maybe activate/enable if stationary for some time.
I think mine is in the deactivated mode for most of the time. It does remember its last activate/deactivate setting.

A well worth the upgrade.

I drove an Audi A1 once with stop/start, first generation. When the light turned green I put the car in gear (manual) and took off. The starter motor was still trying to start the engine when I already was around the corner. So I was a lot quicker than the stop/start function. If didn't sound healthy.
Lucky I have one of the last no blue motion technology vans, so no stop/start on mine.
When I drive a car with ss I also hate it.

I've successfully coded start/stop out by using VCDS on my 2018 T6 Beach (150ps). There are videos on youtube to guide you through the process. I think the downside is that you can't turn it on, but I can't imagine a scenario where I do need that.

View attachment 123305

View attachment 123306

View attachment 123307

View attachment 123308

View attachment 123309

View attachment 123310

View attachment 123311
Had the same thing fitted to mine for 10 months now. Absolute bliss not to have to remember to turn the stupid thing off.

I think the situation you refer to, ie. turbo bearings getting fried when the engine is turned off comes not from a hot engine, but a habit some people have, or have had in the past, to rev their engine as they are switching it off, causing the turbo to spin at high speed with no oil pressure.

Don’t worry about it. Turbo’s in diesels are not as fragile as petrol units. Exhaust gas temperature is lower in diesel and there is an anti shudder valve that closes which means the turbo spins down in seconds. Also, it’s unlikely the turbo is spooled up when you’re just stop/starting in traffic.
Find something else to stress about. :Grin
“Exhaust gas temperature is lower in diesel”
Are you sure?

Back