Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

Ein Mercedes unter den 5G-Routern! Einfache Konfiguration! Hohe Datenraten! Viele Features!

Rear panel
thank you so much this is whatI was looking for could not find a pic of the back!

Thanks dude.
Unfortunately the GL M2 board decided to fry itself. GLiNet were excellent though and had it back and gave me a reduced price Spitz AX3000, which I have connected to two dome antennas so get really awesome 5G coverage by using a Smarty Sim. Also have a EE data only sim in SIM card 2.
Starlink works really nicely through the AX3000.
I’ll get some pics and pop them in here.

View attachment 120946
How do you pass solar + 2 x puck cables into the cabin? No issues with water ingress?

I just took a look at the Spitz, wow amazing bit of kit, do you know if it can run off 12v? Whats the PSU rating?
DC5521, 12V/2.5A (5.5*2.1mm) [default adapter] / 24V

Last edited:
How do you pass solar + 2 x puck cables into the cabin? No issues with water ingress?
No issues at all.
And the UK has had an absolute sh it tonne rain in the last 6 months !

This one puck.
poynting 4-in-1 LTE/WiFi PUCK... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GCTP18N?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And the other
Poynting LTE MiMo PUCK 2-in-1... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N86Y83D?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Ordered the puck 7, what’s the benefit of having the other two cellular ports connected to another puck if all four operate in the same range (7 having greater spectrum coverage). Sorry I’m not clued up on why you need four vs two. Was hoping to have just the one puck on the roof, the less holes the better.

Regarding wifi connected to puck 7, does that limit the ability for your devices to connect to the router inside the van. Is the idea of using the puck for WiFi so you can relay to any local WiFi at a camp site, etc?

Thanks for all your support too, ordered a smarty and Lyca SIM too for testing.

Love the idea of one or two SIMs active for 90% of the time but having starlink as the backup just in case / in Europe where your capped on UK SIMs.

Do I need this level of connectivity no but I’m a gadget man lol!

Ordered the puck 7, what’s the benefit of having the other two cellular ports connected to another puck if all four operate in the same range (7 having greater spectrum coverage). Sorry I’m not clued up on why you need four vs two. Was hoping to have just the one puck on the roof, the less holes the better.

Regarding wifi connected to puck 7, does that limit the ability for your devices to connect to the router inside the van. Is the idea of using the puck for WiFi so you can relay to any local WiFi at a camp site, etc?

Thanks for all your support too, ordered a smarty and Lyca SIM too for testing.

Love the idea of one or two SIMs active for 90% of the time but having starlink as the backup just in case / in Europe where your capped on UK SIMs.

Do I need this level of connectivity no but I’m a gadget man lol!
If you are purchasing the ax3000, I would suggest using it with the standard antenna to start with. You may well find you don’t need a puck on the roof at all for your needs. The router is 4x4 mimo (correct me if I’m wrong Bill). The puck 7 is 2x2 mimo so to achieve the best carrier aggregation you would require two pucks. You can purchase a 4x4 mimo puck, and if doing so, I would recommend this one:
However, the reason for using two pucks is that they are low profile… about 30mm lower than the 4x4 puck above.
You don’t ‘need’ a puck with wifi. The external antenna on the ax3000 would be more than adequate. However, in the scenario where you are camping with friends and want to share your wifi, the roof mounted puck will likely offer a greater range.

Oh and I wouldn’t recommend drilling a hole in the roof!

Last edited:
If you are purchasing the ax3000, I would suggest using it with the standard antenna to start with. You may well find you don’t need a puck on the roof at all for your needs. The router is 4x4 mimo (correct me if I’m wrong Bill). The puck 7 is 2x2 mimo so to achieve the best carrier aggregation you would require two pucks. You can purchase a 4x4 mimo puck, and if doing so, I would recommend this one:
However, the reason for using two pucks is that they are low profile… about 30mm lower than the 4x4 puck above.
You don’t ‘need’ a puck with wifi. The external antenna on the ax3000 would be more than adequate. However, in the scenario where you are camping with friends and want to share your wifi, the roof mounted puck will likely offer a greater range.

Oh and I wouldn’t recommend drilling a hole in the roof!
Very nicely said! Thanks!
Exactly this !
Try it first @cyb3rl4d with antennas internally and see how you fair.
I have put mine on a shelf, so antenna wouldn’t fit.
I’ve now thought, why have I got it on the shelf when I no longer need to see it lol.

Must put it away in the cupboard.
With the raspberry pi Venus OS, Boon docker 12to48v, blackvue 770box, fuse board, PV switch, Victron mppt100/20, and tea maker and teddy bear.
;)

I’m a gadget freak so tried it and it was ok.
But I thought why the hell not !
You’ll see on my pic, I bought aluminium plate to attach my 3rd and rear 120w solar panel.
So my two pucks are stuck with 3m tape to the plate and not the roof.
The cables come through the same gland as solar.
It fits just. But no issues with water ingress.

The WiFi is that good I get a signal through 3 walls at the back of the house.
And the California radio? is now connected to to the always on wifi.
So does updates OTA, and I can lock and unlock wherever.
Whereas sometimes I couldn’t due to the onboard VW data sim not having connection.

Wi-Fi inside the vehicle is good.
3 data sim is ridiculous fast sometimes.
With 746mb down and 56 up.
Or 600 down and 150 up.

You use GLi Goodcloud.xyz to connect to router remotely and reboot etc.
my Venus and blackvue all on 24/7 and I can view from anywhere in the world with no extra port forwarding / changing routes. Etc.

And then yep, connect in Starlink and away you go.
What the Ax3000 won’t do is connect to both sims simultaneously for faster speeds.
And it won’t fail over to one that’s got a better connection.
You have to do manually.
And if no remote connection as no connection on a sim, you have to log in when your in Cali and manually swap from sim 1 to 2.
But I found 3 was best coverage.
So removed and cancelled my EE sim.

amazing thanks so much @Kayleigh and @Californication69 for all the pointers, I'll give the antennas that come with it a try first, thanks.

I'll then see how I get on with the puck7 not fixing it first to see how I get on, what happens if I use two for the puck and two with the antennas that come with it, would that cause an issue?

My smarty SIM has arrived today, so get to have a play with it all this weekend.

Thanks again!!!

I'll then see how I get on with the puck7 not fixing it first to see how I get on, what happens if I use two for the puck and two with the antennas that come with it, would that cause an issue?
That should work. Do some experimenting using all the blade antennas that come with it. Using an external antenna is not guaranteed to give you better performance. You need to take into account the losses through the 2m of coax that you don’t have with internal antenna. The best way is to do some field tests and see what works best for your use case.
After doing my own tests with the Huawei modem I decided I didn’t need a roof mounted antenna. I may still get it modded though as I’m curious what speeds it can achieve with 4x4 + 2x2 MIMO, but I would still only use blade antennas (similar to what you get with the ax3000).

That should work. Do some experimenting using all the blade antennas that come with it. Using an external antenna is not guaranteed to give you better performance. You need to take into account the losses through the 2m of coax that you don’t have with internal antenna. The best way is to do some field tests and see what works best for your use case.
After doing my own tests with the Huawei modem I decided I didn’t need a roof mounted antenna. I may still get it modded though as I’m curious what speeds it can achieve with 4x4 + 2x2 MIMO, but I would still only use blade antennas (similar to what you get with the ax3000).
thanks I'll see how I get on with it, one less hole in the van roof is good too! :)

thanks so much for all your detailed and quick answers!!!

finished by Starlink flat mount, sprayed it the same colour as the van, my blue bin has a nice silver top too lol! :)

IMG_4222.jpg

Back