Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

'Sporty' examples?

simonp820

simonp820

Hi,

I'm looking at a brand new SE with DSG and 4motion (I'll be in the hills a lot!) and am looking for something that looks a bit more 'sporty' and a bit less 'old people going out for the weekend' ;)

I've going for pearlescent black with privacy windows, 17" alloys and maybe a front spoiler. Does anyone have any pics of 'sporty looking' models? Any tips/advice?

I'm switching from a sporty Jag and want to keep a little bit of style!

Thanks!

Here is mine only a little sporty

image.jpg

It's personal really but to give a simple sporty look.

Set of alloys
Lowering springs
Front Splitter from a T5 Sportline
Side Bars.

Not cheap but all these will transform the stance and look of the van. Have a look at some of the vans on here and look at the Sportline VW offer.

There are various styling kits available

ABT

http://www.vanworx.co.uk/news/vw-t5-abt ... -in-stock/

Or for something a a little bit more extreme

http://www.customvanz.com

They build something called a Raceline Edition - they are extreme but they offer lots of subtle but effective styling mods. In my own mind they avoid much of the sameness and predictability that sometimes happens with companies offer styling upgrades and mods.

There are a lot of variations on the California here, modified and personalised vans seem to be becoming more popular.

If you are looking at black van, maybe a bit of stealth, how about these.

http://banwy.co.uk/product/t5-parts/t5- ... ers-tinted

Darker than the standard lights they look particularly smart when they are on.

James

Slightly offended and I am sure others will be who also have standard spec by the comment of 'old people going out for the weekend' we are in our late 40's and our california is 100% standard and I don't think it looks like an old persons vehicle at all !

I think the California does look good standard, fair point if we were talking about a big white motorhome but we are talking about a California here.

Not quiet suited for the hills and far away I feel ... James has presented a more Vw scene modded road bus and maybe not suited to a more 4 motion orientated use of the Cali ... ( maybe I'm wrong ) lol
Different mods for different uses and different people see different buses for different uses ..
VW do not advise lowering the 4motion and will not do it on a new Cali ( unless things have changed and no one passed on the e- mail ) lol

James said:

James

This is exactly what I hate utmost.
Some people think that the lights are for decoration, whilst the primary role of it is the security.
You may think that dimmed lights look great but surely and quickly you will change your mind hitting those lights with your wehicle in foggy or heavy rain condition.

Also a spoiler and 4WD, or lowering and 4WD, makes me laughing, simply condradictory.

Thanks for the info and links folks - apologies to anyone I've offended ;)

I guess I need to be a bit careful about lowering springs/sports kits, etc as will be used on mountainous routes/off road (which a few of you have rightly pointed out!)

Like the side bars. Not a fan of the awning though :( Agree about the dimmed lights too.

Andresz said:
James said:

James

This is exactly what I hate utmost.
Some people think that the lights are for decoration, whilst the primary role of it is the security.
You may think that dimmed lights look great but surely and quickly you will change your mind hitting those lights with your wehicle in foggy or heavy rain condition.

Also a spoiler and 4WD, or lowering and 4WD, makes me laughing, simply condradictory.

i missed the 4 Motion part - sorry.

I was simply doing an overlook of how people commonly alter their van.

The lights are OEM and not actually dimmed, the darkness is actually around the lights themselves, if you look at the picture you'll see what I mean.

They are fitted from factory to,

VW California Edition
Sportlines
Edition 25's

The reason I picked OEM and always try to recommend OEM is because this is what VW intended. I think the standard T5 as a vehicle looks fantastic, I've left mine in terms of stance as standard. Where I've added is purely for personal taste.

I think a good rule of thumb on any modifications is pick what is available and has been designed for the van.

A Sportline front spoiler is a popular choice and it changes the front look quite dramatically. Again not to everyone tastes but it squares off the front and it could be argues gives it a more aggressive look.

As I said, personal taste...

James

I am with James here. I have had VAG cars for 25 years including some sportier ones like VR6 and S5.

It's a personal thing I know, but I too stick to OEM. Manufacturers spend tens if not hundreds of millions developing cars and there can be unintended consequences when you mod them.

I have had enough trouble over the years with "big engine in standard car platform" issues like water pumps, cooling fans, air intake, manifold gaskets ...... as it is, without risking non Oem stuff

James said:
A Sportline front spoiler is a popular choice and it changes the front look quite dramatically.

Yeah I've seen this in the brochure and agree it looks quite smart (although doesn't appear to be a lot for the money!)

I also prefer OEM stuff ;)

simonp820 said:
James said:
A Sportline front spoiler is a popular choice and it changes the front look quite dramatically.

Yeah I've seen this in the brochure and agree it looks quite smart (although doesn't appear to be a lot for the money!)

maybe not much money to you simon ,but it's pushing onto nearly ÂŁ500 for an unpainted piece of plastic ......Thats the price of a kidney for me fella :crazy :? :doh

choplee said:
simonp820 said:
James said:

maybe not much money to you simon ,but it's pushing onto nearly ÂŁ500 for an unpainted piece of plastic ......Thats the price of a kidney for me fella :crazy :? :doh

That's exactly my point (didn't think you got much for your money!)

this sort of thing? It's a standard 4motion with sport line 18" alloys and sport line front spoilers. Standard height. I know most people don't understand it, but it works very well off road and amazing in the snow. Enough ground clearance. Using conti contact 4x4 tyres and its ace in all conditions. I take mine off road often (Mtb racing events) and through very deal snow without fault. And it's got a certain style.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365967604.655967.jpg

Hi MisterTea - yeah that looks quite sexy! Although I'm yet to be persuaded by the awning ;)

Side bars definitely lift the look of the Cali a fair bit.

Im looking at a set of side bars at the moment to stop people denting the doors in carparks. Will this stop this??

Cali1 said:
Im looking at a set of side bars at the moment to stop people denting the doors in carparks. Will this stop this??

Will definitely help.

We fitted ours after the missus clipped a low walk and left a nice gouge down the side. Oops.

choplee said:
Not quiet suited for the hills and far away I feel ... James has presented a more Vw scene modded road bus and maybe not suited to a more 4 motion orientated use of the Cali ... ( maybe I'm wrong ) lol
Different mods for different uses and different people see different buses for different uses ..
VW do not advise lowering the 4motion and will not do it on a new Cali ( unless things have changed and no one passed on the e- mail ) lol

Correct. Not possible to lower a 4Motion T5 through VW as parts not available for them.

cheers

There is a nice protection tray available for the 4 motion - it sits under the front of the van and part of it comes over the bottom of the bumper in a lip. Looks quite cool, not sure how much protection it actually offers. I don't think they are available as an option in the UK but they are a VW part so could be fitted.

James

I'm also a big fan of OEM, more so with a Cali than a van conversion (as a Cali is already all-VW), but I do concede that sometimes politics gets in the way with manufacturers so there are some exceptions.

The guys on here can offer really good advice on specific areas, as it's all a matter of taste really (remember, some folk like jellied eels).

image.php

I don't have 4Motion so mine can be lowered slightly using the VW springs, has side bars and 18" sportlines.

image.php

The van conversion guys on the T4/T5 forum can go a bit mental with massive wheels on comedy tyres. Personally, I think anything over 19" starts to look a bit kiddie (and again VW approved wheels seem to suit the Cali better) - E.g. Azev Type R's in black are the ones on the Edition 25 vans http://www.azev.com/alufelgen/typ-r-nero/ (I am trying to persuade the wife that I need some "winter wheels" but not sure she's buying it :D )

You can of course also accessorise by adding the outdoorsy type stuff (bike rack, roof bars etc) which aren't normally 'styling' items. Cali's are different to normal vehicles, so regular rules don't apply (my wife thinks the bike racks look "very sexy"). It's why the awning doesn't look too bad (but got to be black imo)
BTW MisterTea, that looks spot on!

This is the spec I've had priced up:

VW California SE BMT 2.0 180ps DSG 4motion
Deep Black Pearl
17" Neva alloy wheels
RNS 510 with DAB
Bluetooth
Elec side sliding door
Privacy Glass
Driver pack
Alcantara Anthracite trim
Front Spoiler
Rear Spoiler
Stainless steel side rails

Anything I've missed?

Don't forget if you fit a rear spoiler you can no longer have a bike rack, also if you are going for all those options you may aswell put climate control on the list.

You've missed loads out of the brochure if you have your wallet open fella ;-) . Lol

simonp820 said:
This is the spec I've had priced up:

VW California SE BMT 2.0 180ps DSG 4motion
Deep Black Pearl
17" Neva alloy wheels
RNS 510 with DAB
Bluetooth
Elec side sliding door
Privacy Glass
Driver pack
Alcantara Anthracite trim
Front Spoiler
Rear Spoiler
Stainless steel side rails

Anything I've missed?

I'd drop the electric sliding door - add xenons - not like for like in cost but I think they are worth it.

17" Cascavel Alloys in anthracite are lovely wheels.

I am surprised more people do not choose Alcantara trim - it's looks great and very classy.

James