Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Simon from Gloucester

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all,

I’m Simon, Having managed to successfully derail the oil consumption thread, I thought I would say “Hello”.

I had a Caravelle 2.5 TDi 130 for six years. It went all over Western Europe and the south west of England. I sold it in June last year following a separation and subsequent house move. I also have a motorbike which I have toured around Europe on, for years. Last November I had a triple bypass and whilst I have tried to tour on the motorbike, its just too much for me now. So, its back to another van.

I loved the Caravelle. Had a split charge system, cooking facilities that I could put in and take out, all very good. I loved the versatility of if but always hated the triple seat in the back. Having decided on another van, I’m going to California route. Wont be a new one because they cost too much for me. In an ideal world, I’m after a Beach because I have loads of kit that will just go straight in. Or, an SE, sell the kit and spend it on new toys.

I'm also the proud owner of half a dozen barbecues and smokers and thoroughly enjoy "keeping an eye on the smoker" for hours on end with a few ales for company.

Knowing what fun I had with the Caravelle and the good people I met along the way, I’m guessing California ownership will be a similar experience.

Hello everyone. Sorry about your oil consumption thread. I’ll stick to the Beach vs SE/Ocean debates from now on!

Last edited:
Welcome Simon Whichever you choose it will be like being in your old slippers.

Great stuff , do update your verhicle details as it still says "looking to buy"

Will do when I’ve bought one. Hopefully won’t be long now

Was reading , owned a caravelle and loved the caravele ans assumed you had a Beach allready...my fault;)

Guess with the end of the summer there will be some more for sale ?
Maybe check our some company's who rent Cali's , as they sell this time a year

Was reading , owned a caravelle and loved the caravele ans assumed you had a Beach allready...my fault;)

Guess with the end of the summer there will be some more for sale ?
Maybe check our some company's who rent Cali's , as they sell this time a year

No worries. Had a break for the vans for 12 months but really struggled on the bike over the summer. I thought about getting a van again a few times when I was struggling. I was over at the Carnac Alignments a month ago and that’s when I decided that’s it. Cali-time!

Thanks for the tip. I’ll see what I can find.

Welcome Simon
Hopfully things get better when back with a California. An you can still take your bike with you (at least in a Beach I guess)

Welcome Simon
Hopfully things get better when back with a California. An you can still take your bike with you (at least in a Beach I guess)

Thank you. On the whole in doing pretty well. I’ve lost 26% of my Pre op body weight and get the odd day when I’m tired but generally I’m in good health now. Pushing a 300kg bike about is just too much now. Not sure I’d get a Harley in it to be honest.

But I’ve lashed out on a funky electric bike which I have every intention of using with the van. Really looking forward to it!

Thank you. On the whole in doing pretty well. I’ve lost 26% of my Pre op body weight and get the odd day when I’m tired but generally I’m in good health now. Pushing a 300kg bike about is just too much now. Not sure I’d get a Harley in it to be honest.

But I’ve lashed out on a funky electric bike which I have every intention of using with the van. Really looking forward to it!
26%!!!! My word that is good - very well done!
Welcome :welcome

Finally managed to buy one today. A 2013 Beach, 3 seat version that was advertised on the classified adverts on here. Really pleased with it even though I’ve only driven back home via some friends.

Tomorrow I’ll start filling it up with various bits and pieces I’ve got around the place from the Caravelle days. Looking to get some solar panels on it ASAP.

Happy days