Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side bars and wind deflectors for 6.1 ocean

I wonder if black shoe polish or permanent fountain pen ink might subdue the visual impact of the bright white logo.
Most polishes have a (minor) abrasive element and I doubt it's a permeable membrane either. Perhaps a heat gun could do the trick, but to be fair I dont care enough to risk warping or damaging the actual deflector.

Another vote for Climair, look good, fit well, not noticeably noisy, work!, don't rely on metal clips in the window channel, and I can forgive a tiny screw hole in the black plastic trim to secure them. If you can't follow @Corradobrit's advice. I had the VW stick on deflectors to start with, fitted by the dealer, they started falling off after a few months. I replaced the 3M tape but it didn't last. I am aware others have had better luck with stick on's.

Wow, brave. Nail varnish remover contains acetone which will dissolve any acrylic plastic/perspex.
I'm not at home so can't check but it may well have been acetone free stuff. It's what ever my wife buys and I regularly use for DIY.

Either way the logos scrubbed off and left a perfect wind deflector.

I'm not at home so can't check but it may well have been acetone free stuff. It's what ever my wife buys and I regularly use for DIY.

Either way the logos scrubbed off and left a perfect wind deflector.
Ok good to point that out before anyone else dunks their deflectors in nail polish remover. Perhaps the citrus based Goo Gone type products might work if the logo is stuck on.

Ok good to point that out before anyone else dunks their deflectors in nail polish remover. Perhaps the citrus based Goo Gone type products might work if the logo is stuck on.
I don't think that it would. As it's a print opposed to sticker.

I have done 2 different brands of deflectors on 2 cars this way.

Here is a cropped in picture to show it looking like it was never there.

IMG-20240116-WA0001.jpg

I had Transporter HQ sidebars fitted to my SE. I much prefer the understated look of the trapezoid bars.

Much nicer than the Chrome 'curtain rail' type IMHO. Pic shows the OE Deflectors too which I like the look of.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 16.20.33.jpeg.png

I have the smoke grey ones with blue sticker (just got them a few days ago). I'm quite sure that logo can be removed with isopropyl alcohol: I've done that quite a few times on plastic parts (like publicity writings on pens etc ...) without any harm to the plastic. WD40 is also very good to clean and shine plastics.

1705649293947.jpg

I have the smoke grey ones with blue sticker (just got them a few days ago). I'm quite sure that logo can be removed with isopropyl alcohol: I've done that quite a few times on plastic parts (like publicity writings on pens etc ...) without any harm to the plastic. WD40 is also very good to clean and shine plastics.

View attachment 118285
Yes, isopropyl alcohol should be safe, assuming there is an adhesive involved.

View attachment 118285
In everyday use you don't notice the Logo as when driving it's completely out of your eye line and the same applies when getting in/out.

They are well attached as no sign of peeling off after over 6 years with outdoor parking and every year having 3 months in France. Covid year not included.

In everyday use you don't notice the Logo as when driving it's completely out of your eye line and the same applies when getting in/out.

They are well attached as no sign of peeling off after over 6 years with outdoor parking and every year having 3 months in France. Covid year not included.
I'm not sure I'll remove the logo's: their color matches my Van's :):

View attachment IMG_20231223_143126.jpg

Is there a specific one for the t6.1 California Or you just buy the T6.1 fitting? When you type in the vehicle (Cali) it says not available for this model.

Is there a specific one for the t6.1 California Or you just buy the T6.1 fitting? When you type in the vehicle (Cali) it says not available for this model.
Search for transporter t6. It’s all the same.

all the same T6/T6.1, no need to specify Cali.

I checked back and the VW OEM ones I got from eBay were ÂŁ41. Easy to fit. I picked them because I had trouble with Heko ones in a previous car. Also Campervan Time did an install video. Probably a medium tint with no noticeable logo.

IMG_0689.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone , just recently bought my california ocean in indium grey metallic with the chrome pack. I want to add side bars in chrome but Im unsure which part to order as there are two types of side bars.
Does anyone know which one is the best for the 6.1 ocean?
Also has anyone added the vw wind deflectors and are they any good at reducing the noise?

View attachment 118082

View attachment 118083
ff4cfba9-25f5-47f6-8767-c6eb34b16c2b.jpeg
Transporter HQ trapezoid bars in stainless steel and ClimAir wind deflectors.
Great for allowing the window to be open an inch without water coming in.
No Road noise. No clips, a very teeny tiny screw to screw in. But unnoticeable.
Highly reccomend.

I've got some ClimAir's coming tomorrow now, so might see if I can fit them.

Also having had Hekos AND had them spontaneously fall from the van and damage the bodywork, i'm keen for something a bit more secure. No faulting the Hekos other than that - which on reflection is pretty fundamental actually! :D

I'll get a picture of them side by side on the ground for folks.
Had my ClimAir on for 1 year.
No issues whatsoever.
100% Value Added

Hi everyone , just recently bought my california ocean in indium grey metallic with the chrome pack. I want to add side bars in chrome but Im unsure which part to order as there are two types of side bars.
Does anyone know which one is the best for the 6.1 ocean?
Also has anyone added the vw wind deflectors and are they any good at reducing the noise?

View attachment 118082

View attachment 118083
I think side bars look good my were fitted by VW Breeze.

Screenshot_20240120-151033_Gallery.jpg

Maybe an obvious answer, but what are side bars good for ? Is it an optical thing, or do they protect anything, or are they otherwise helpful ?

Back