Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should heater start without engine running?

J

ja197

VIP Member
Hi

Can anyone confirm that the heater should start on its own without the engine running? If so, and it doesn't, any suggestions what is wrong and how to fix it please?? Also should it be serviced every few years for example and can anyone recommend someone to do this?

Many thanks

Yes, sorry should have made that clear! It seems to click and blow air as if trying to work but doesn't manage to produce hot air. I'm thinking that it's something to do with the fuel input or from a few forums here the condition of the leisure batteries? Does it draw quite a lot of current to pre-heat the fuel - I'm afraid I've not had chance to look into how these auxiliary heaters work?!

assuming this is the camper heater

1 Not heard of a servicing schedule for these, do know that in the past VW just like to swap out if it's broken

2 if there's less than 15 (might be 10, can't check from here) litres of diesel in the tank it won't work

3 yes it should work with the engine off - are you saying it does work with the engine on (that might suggest a power related fault. What year is your Cali?

4 do you get the normal display info on the camper control?

Seb

ja197 said:
Yes, sorry should have made that clear! It seems to click and blow air as if trying to work but doesn't manage to produce hot air. I'm thinking that it's something to do with the fuel input or from a few forums here the condition of the leisure batteries? Does it draw quite a lot of current to pre-heat the fuel - I'm afraid I've not had chance to look into how these auxiliary heaters work?!

How long have you left it on? It takes several minutes to start blowing warm air. Before that it's pretty cool!

give it 10 mins at least and don't play with the control otherwise it goes through it's on and off cycle and that takes ages!. It does take a while to get going, also if worried about batteries try it on hook up.

Daft question - have you ever had it working or is the Cali new to you?

Thanks for all the responses! In short:

Its one I'm looking to buy.
The seller said the heater never gets hot without the engine running for the first 10 minutes (just sits there clicking & blowing cold air) so that is what they've always done. The controller looked to be working fine but don't look that closely.
I didn't try it on hook up but looks like that's something to do when I go back to see it again & will watch the controller closely & not play to give it time to get going on its own.
I think from the responses that it looks as if the leisure batteries may need replacing (it is 5 years old) and from other threads here they need to be VW OE to fit the spaces which means 185 each inc VAT. Would people agree?

Prob now time to mention earth shunt issues then. May be a fault there in a model of that age.

Back