Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service - at last…!

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
After owning the Cali for nearly two years, it's finally only a month off needing a service!
I just can't quite get my head around these enormous service intervals.

Anyone any idea on a rough cost and what needs doing? I think I'll need to order a new spare key too :headbang :headbang

Not a lot. I think mine was about £180 from SMG.

£180 including VAT for interim service and pollen filter

cheers

Is that all?!

Makes the £620 service on a 122bhp LR Defender look even more silly!

Mine is in for an interim service at 49000 miles (2010)......and a pollen filter and brake fluid change and quoted approx £330.

Garage been on the phone to say water pump is leaking small amount of water into the oil.....does this make sense ?

They have quoted a new water pump and while they are at it a new cam belt for £510inc......how does that sound. Plus advised DSG oil and filter change at £210inc.

Your thoughts guys ?

Full service is £270 + VAT.

DSG oil change is due at 40,000 miles.

Pollen filter is due every two years or 40,000 miles whichever comes first (around £11 + VAT for the part)

Cambelt and water pump replacement is £425 + VAT

Air and fuel filters due at 80,000 miles (air filter at 6 years whichever comes first).

Brake fluid change is £40 + VAT and due when T5 is three years old and then every two years after that.

All of the above are National Service Prices so you shouldn't be charged any more than the above as all dealers are doing the same prices, but they may change in the New Year.

cheers

BerndRos said:
Mine is in for an interim service at 49000 miles (2010)......and a pollen filter and brake fluid change and quoted approx £330.

Garage been on the phone to say water pump is leaking small amount of water into the oil.....does this make sense ?

They have quoted a new water pump and while they are at it a new cam belt for £510inc......how does that sound. Plus advised DSG oil and filter change at £210inc.

Your thoughts guys ?

£330 seems too high. Interim service, brake fluid change and a pollen filter is about £180 + VAT. Make sure they are charging you the fixed service prices that all dealers are doing nationwide.

cheers

Listers at Coventry phoned me to say a 2 year service was due...all just done £160 and they even washed it and valeted the cab area :D

Well they washed ours too - with something resembling a broom.

The whole van now looks like it has been attacked with a Brillo pad. Luckily I spotted it (it was sunny) and they have reassured me their body shop people will sort it next week when it goes in again for a radio issue.

Oh very darn...

I really didn't expect them to clean it as it was already clean and it was just a quick service!

Two years of careful two bucket washing (after snow foaming) and frequent polishing all undone in minutes… :headbang :headbang

I am on my second Cali. The service I get from Listers of Coventry is second to none. I will not go anywhere else now. ( a round trip of 120 miles) Please make sure when replying to bad service post, to name the dealer in question. Am sure as Kernowlad living in Cornwall would not have gone to Coventry. Keep smiling

Good to know the pricing. Looks like the good folks at SMG will be getting a call from me.

18 months and 24,500 miles up already (mind I did cut down).

New tyres needed as well on the 17" any ideas on prices for those as well?

Damn 4Motion means I need all 4 but at least it is good to see they all wore the same and let's be fair 25,000 miles on one set of tyres is nothing to be sniffed at.

Hi Jock,

If you PM me tyre size and if you have a preference for make of tyres I will get some prices together and let you know and we can get you booked in with us for the work.

Cheers

JockMacMad said:
Good to know the pricing. Looks like the good folks at SMG will be getting a call from me.

Damn 4Motion means I need all 4 but at least it is good to see they all wore the same and let's be fair 25,000 miles on one set of tyres is nothing to be sniffed at.

I got 14k out of the fronts (outer edge tyre wear due to dodgy tracking) and 16800 from the rears.

I'm paying £171 each for the rear tyres and using Dunlops slightly newer Maxx TTs. The fronts are the same as it came with - Dunlop Sport 01s. I could have looked around more but TBH they are quiet, seem to grip well enough and coped well with near monsoon/flood conditions in Mull. If they wear at a similar rate, I might look to change to something else; maybe something more durable!?

JockMacMad said:

Hi Jock,

Can't reply to your PM for some reason. If you could email me on aharbour@smguk.co.uk then I can let you know tyre prices for your van.

Thanks

Having been told my rear tyres were on 2mm, I ordered some more from ATS.
Went to get them fitted and I have 4-5mn on both.
So they trashed my paint then tried to get me to buy tyres I don't yet need.

I am about to send a customer service ICBM in their direction...

KernowLad said:
I really didn't expect them to clean it as it was already clean and it was just a quick service!

Two years of careful two bucket washing (after snow foaming) and frequent polishing all undone in minutes… :headbang :headbang

I had this too at my dealer..... worse than the paintwork issues, was the traffic film remover they used that heavily marked all of the rubbers, the ISO rails and even the awning case. This was after leaving written instructions on the jobsheet to not wash the van.

timhutch said:
KernowLad said:

I had this too at my dealer..... worse than the paintwork issues, was the traffic film remover they used that heavily marked all of the rubbers, the ISO rails and even the awning case. This was after leaving written instructions on the jobsheet to not wash the van.

I hate traffic film remover with a passion. Isn't it just a posh name for diluted acid? The bottle a mate in the trade gave me once had more bio-hazard warnings on it than anything I've ever seen before.

Cali service prices look really good next to the ridiculous £397+VAT I've been quoted for a 36,000 service on our Volvo V70 D4. And the best bit, being told "as its an automatic sir, it'll probably need a set of pads and maybe discs as they're quite hard on them". I'm not saying they were setting me up for that to be a certainty but let's just say the tone changed when I politely informed them "no they'll be fine, I checked them last week and anyway they were replaced when we got the car FROM YOU 6 months ago". I know everyone has to make a living but changing oil is changing oil, be it a Fiesta or a Phantom, why the heck do costs have to vary quite so much. Nobody answer that it was a stupid question.

A 40k mile service for our Defender was… wait for it… £610!!!!! :shocked

Well I kicked up a fair stink after I found out they planned just to give it a quick polish (no doubt with a heavy filler polish). It looks like it will now get a proper machine polish.

They also lent us their best courtesy car, a VW CC which isn't my thing but it's quite smart. We shall see how they get on.

The other car has also been in for some dodgy roof paint; all sorted now!!

Well it's back with a full machine polish; looking rather shiny now!

Dodgy radio reception also sorted.

Just cleaned it properly and I have to say, it looks great; all tiny scuffs and hedge scratches gone and it's gleaming. Like having a new van; sort of!

Sigh. They didn't reset the mile/day countdown service thingy and want me to go back in to get it done.
So I paid £160ish for a service and:

1) They scratched the hell out of the paint
2) Tried to sell me tyres (at a MASSIVELY inflated price) that I don't need
3) Didn't reset the computer
4) Charged me £180 for a new spare key.

Another email gone to servicing and they refuse to come out and reset it (the garage is a long way away and I have no plans to go that way in the near future). I want them to come out and/or refund me some of the servicing costs for being SO BLOODY USELESS. :headbang :censor :censor

Does it show '-----' on the display instead of the days and mileage?

cheers

Back