Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seized Auxiliary Belt Tensioner

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just had my T6 California in for a major service and they told me the auxiliary belt has seized. The van is 3 and half years old (very late 2019) and has less than 15k miles on it. Sheffield van centre promised to ring me back that day (not heard anything 2 days later) with the cost of the part and how much to fit ?

Anyway it occurred to me that should I really be paying for this anyway as surely a part like this is meant to last more than 15k miles and what’s more I have the extended factory warranty. Do you believe this should be covered under the warranty?

Also they gave me no idea of the urgency of fitting the part or the consequences of letting it ride for a while ! I guess I really shouldn't be holidaying until i have this fixed.

Thanks

Scoobz

18 months ago I had a squealing noise from engine bay. Not too bad but enough to know this was not right. When I had the van in for a service and MOT I had them check it out. The belt tensioner was loose. I had them replace it. Was around £400.

Later I was on one of the forums and read that VW had a batch of faulting tensioner castings which threw out the alignment and caused excessive wear.

I also had a warranty, but was told that belt and tensioner are considered consumable (wear and tear) items so not covered by warranty.

If your tensioner is seized then it is not doing its job and is liable to affect the belt wear. The auxiliary belt drives things like the alternator, water pump and power steering pump...so important stuff and expensive to repair.

In my opinion, get it booked in asap.

If that belt tensioner was seized it would have thrown the snake belt off and you would have known straight away with multiple dash warnings. I agree it should be a warrant replacement. Either way it shouldn't cost much to do and can be done in an hour or 2. I'd be tempted to take it to independent

If it’s seized it’s faulty and could cause damage to the timing belt if the Aux belts snaps and takes out the timing belt (potential £10k new engine )

it should be a warranty claim under original factory or Extended warranty

Tensioner is a known issue and VW has changed lots of them because of Squealing, let alone seizing, which is potentially far more serious.

Just had my T6 California in for a major service and they told me the auxiliary belt has seized. The van is 3 and half years old (very late 2019) and has less than 15k miles on it. Sheffield van centre promised to ring me back that day (not heard anything 2 days later) with the cost of the part and how much to fit ?

Anyway it occurred to me that should I really be paying for this anyway as surely a part like this is meant to last more than 15k miles and what’s more I have the extended factory warranty. Do you believe this should be covered under the warranty?

Also they gave me no idea of the urgency of fitting the part or the consequences of letting it ride for a while ! I guess I really shouldn't be holidaying until i have this fixed.

Thanks

Scoobz
Remember the California is based on a commercial vehicle covering 10 - 20,000 + miles/ year.
I’m sure engine components are engineered to cover significant milage, but are they desigm
to cover, by your own statement, less than 5,000 miles/ year spending the majority of time static and under pressure. I don’t think any manufacturer does such R&D testing.

Remember the California is based on a commercial vehicle covering 10 - 20,000 + miles/ year.
I’m sure engine components are engineered to cover significant milage, but are they desigm
to cover, by your own statement, less than 5,000 miles/ year spending the majority of time static and under pressure. I don’t think any manufacturer does such R&D testing.
I agree with the sentiment WG, but it is a failed component covered in this Instance under Extended warranty ( the warranty does not state the vehicle has to be used)

Thansk guys waiting on a call back this morning - just checked the invoice and the precise wording they use is "aux belt tensioner seized"

Bit confused about this as it seems from the comments it should have either thrown the the belt off or potentailly break and wreck the cambelt and possibly the engine - yet they were so blas'e about it. Is there anyhting else I should get them to check when they are at it ?

WIll update in due course

You buy a new vehicle with an extended manufacturer warranty to avoid surprises and unexpected bills. Should be a bumper to bumper warranty. Hope they do the right thing but fear it‘s a classic case of VAG arrogance and poor customer service. Once out of warranty, use a respected independent garage IMHO.

Another thing to add. I had to have some repairs done recently under MotorEasy warranty. In the vw visual check, they claimed that the aux belt pulley wheel was worn and needed to be replaced with M12 bolt version. I argued the case and got this replaced under vw discretion. It would have cost £100 otherwise. It might be worth investigating this at the same time. The fact that they needed to use a larger bolt roller suggests that they are aware of a fault/issue.

Guys came across this on another forum - is it correct?. "Yes it (the belt tensioner) should be cheaper if done at the same time as the cam belt……. It’s only 5 minutes more work."

As my cambelt is due in December, if the above is correct, then I should definitely have my cambelt done at the same time .

I am pretty sure I asked an almosy identical question when they first told me about the tensioner and the lady at the service desk said that there wouldn't be too much savings and implied that they were largely unrelated!

Thanks

Scoobz

Andrew thanks for that will get it checked out at the same time and done if necessary ...

Guys came across this on another forum - is it correct?. "Yes it (the belt tensioner) should be cheaper if done at the same time as the cam belt……. It’s only 5 minutes more work."

As my cambelt is due in December, if the above is correct, then I should definitely have my cambelt done at the same time .

I am pretty sure I asked an almosy identical question when they first told me about the tensioner and the lady at the service desk said that there wouldn't be too much savings and implied that they were largely unrelated!

Thanks

Scoobz
Replacing the tensioner and Aux belt is a simple job when doing the Timing belt, which is Big job, (the five minutes extra refer to the work required to replace the Aux belt / tensioner when having the timing belt done )

Thanks everybody.

Had a quote of £259 and after speaking to the service area they agreed that it was a warranty job (tensioner and belt). What's more they booked the van in over night (think it was because i was promised various call backs that didn't happen ) and I am picking it up at 10:30 tomorrow morning - so a very happy bunny as we were booked in to stay at Norfolk this weekend !

The cambelt can wait until it is due in December and given how fragile these tensioners are I will probaly get them to renew it going foward (bar this one) when the cambelt is being changed ....

Once again thanks for all the help

Scoobz

We are back to the problems that manifest themselves with vehicles that are not frequently used and for a reasonable mileage each time. It sounds economical to leave the camper standing for days (maybe weeks) on end but often doesn't work out that way.
I own a 2016 LWB T6 converted to a high roof camper that we have owned from new, it's now covered well over 70,000 miles. This vehicle has had a cam belt and water pump changed and a set rear brake pads fitted which were later prove to be unnecessary. The front discs & pads are still original. This in my mind proves that regular thoughtful driving proves to be the most economical way to own and use a camper of the size that we own.
I suspect that @WelshGas will agree.

We are back to the problems that manifest themselves with vehicles that are not frequently used and for a reasonable mileage each time. It sounds economical to leave the camper standing for days (maybe weeks) on end but often doesn't work out that way.
I own a 2016 LWB T6 converted to a high roof camper that we have owned from new, it's now covered well over 70,000 miles. This vehicle has had a cam belt and water pump changed and a set rear brake pads fitted which were later prove to be unnecessary. The front discs & pads are still original. This in my mind proves that regular thoughtful driving proves to be the most economical way to own and use a camper of the size that we own.
I suspect that @WelshGas will agree.
But ... if you like anecdotal evidence, then have a look how many low mileage 20 year old plus motorhomes and camper vans are still happily chugging about, where their mass sold high mileage equivalents have mostly disappeared.

But ... if you like anecdotal evidence, then have a look how many low mileage 20 year old plus motorhomes and camper vans are still happily chugging about, where their mass sold high mileage equivalents have mostly disappeared.
I think if you worked out the full running costs, excluding fuel then you would find a not insignificant difference.
Over 120,000 miles and 8 yrs I've had 1 set of brake discs and 1 set of pads replaced apart from the usual service items.

Having just had my aux belt and tensioner changed as it was very stiff (probably for the first time, at over 100000 miles) while also doing cambelt, although the aux belt is easy, the aux tensioner fixing bolt is only accessible from behind and needs the air con compressor to be removed to access it, so a bit of a pain apparently. 2.0tdi 140.

Mine was starting to wine a bit luckily had taken out all in warentee when 5 year had ended so covered, cannot state the value £830 includes servicing and mot and brake down,
Had tensioner replaced
New dsg flywheel and 2 alloys replaced
Approx £2500+ worth

Mine was starting to wine a bit luckily had taken out all in warentee when 5 year had ended so covered, cannot state the value £830 includes servicing and mot and brake down,
Had tensioner replaced
New dsg flywheel and 2 alloys replaced
Approx £2500+ worth
Would you mind sharing the symptoms of the DSG flywheel issue please

I did not notice over time it was only when servicing by breeze they said it was noisy apparently fairly common as flywheel basically is rubber. But when replaced you do notice the quiet. Just over 2k to replace. I would say it’s a grumble and shift is not as clean!

18 months ago I had a squealing noise from engine bay. Not too bad but enough to know this was not right. When I had the van in for a service and MOT I had them check it out. The belt tensioner was loose. I had them replace it. Was around £400.

Later I was on one of the forums and read that VW had a batch of faulting tensioner castings which threw out the alignment and caused excessive wear.

I also had a warranty, but was told that belt and tensioner are considered consumable (wear and tear) items so not covered by warranty.

If your tensioner is seized then it is not doing its job and is liable to affect the belt wear. The auxiliary belt drives things like the alternator, water pump and power steering pump...so important stuff and expensive to repair.

In my opinion, get it booked in asap.
With mine again tensioner was replaced under warrantee but had to pay for Belt!

Back