Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Securing bikes

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
Later this year I'll be doing some trips with the mountain bike. I have the bike rack but my question is where/how do people secure theirs bikes through the night?
Can I put them back on the carrier once the roof is up? Don't want to leave them lying around as they aren't cheap bikes.
Any suggestions welcome, though inside won't be an option.

I just chain them to the back wheel :thumb

Don't relie to much on bike cables.....in France 2013 Niece ,I disturbed thieves trying to nick our 2 bikes 4-30 in morning.
They were almost through our bike cables. They were so silent as well,they must have been using something like a pipe cutter!

Also be carefull if you lift the tailgate up with a bike on and the pop roof is up or your likely to scratch the roof on the handlebars,speaking from experience :headbang

Alan

I use a hefty motorbike cable and padlock not cheap but goes round our five mountain bikes and a solid tree. I usually thread it through all wheels and bike frames. Much easier than on and off the carrier.

Thanks folks.
I usually have a couple of motorcycle u locks/chain with me when the bike is on the roof rack of the car, if I have to leave it for any length of time.
Hadn't thought of through the wheel with a chain and I only use a cable that's with the ulock.
:thanks

I use a plastic covered cable originally bought to lock windsurfers up with. Its about 2m long and 10mm diameter with swaged on ends.
As mentioned earlier thread it through as many parts of the bikes as you can and then either secure using a tree/post/etc if available or if not then the towing eye at the rear of the van or even threaded through the van wheels is an option.
If someone is determined to steal the bikes then they will almost certainly be able to, a set of bolt croppers or battery angle grinder will get through most cables other than the very heavy duty motorbike ones.
Try and keep the bikes out of sight as well, in an awning, utility tent or even a groundsheet over them might make a thief look for easier pickings.

I have an Atera rack and when i am leaving the bikes i use a combination of cable locks through the hole in the chassis at the back, the rack locks itself and then 2 big motorbike chains. They are also covered in a tarp cover mainly to protect them. As said before if someone wants them they will get them off.