Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second Awning on Near Side

At £700 that would be an expensive patio ! Can think of better things to spend that sort of money on. But each to our own.

I did look into this but I would only buy if it was relatively inexpensive. The benefit is that you can open the kitchen window and not get wet! Plus other benefits. I did find solutions that simply slide into the rail for anywhere from £30 but you do have to look around. If this solution is of interest follow the link below as a starter...

http://www.the-bus-shelter.com

I looked into awning and canopies in quite some detail, looking for the kind of flexible canopies that you see in continental Europe. The optional rollout awning is fine for certain circumstances but I can see the need for something much more flexible that could give more shelter (sun/wind/rain) - and also be used on either side of the van.

My current solution is the canopy from Lightning Leisure (the medium tarp) http://www.lightningleisure.com/acatalo ... nopys.html. It's actually a standard Gelert tarp that Lighning Leisure modify to add the 6mm kador strip (and much larger and practical than the Bus Shelter).

It fits perfectly into the outer edge of the rollout awning (with a little length to spare) and either extends it out by another few metres or can be pitched with a slope to give wind protection. With the addition of a couple of 2m flexible poles (the poles supplied are longer than this) it also gives you a second awning (porch) on the passenger side of the van. However, since the van awning rail is slightly wider than the outer edge of the awning,the kador strip isn't a perfect fit. Figure-of-eights (or a thin strip of plastic at either end) would hold it in tighter.

You can see some pictures and read more about my journey to find the perfect awning here: http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/10/06 ... an-awning/.

It seems strange not to see more in the way of flexible tarp canopies for camper vans. Ripstop nylon (at £4/metre), a length of kador strip, adjustable poles and some guys/elastic bungees won't set you back much more than £50 - and will give infinitely more variations than the standard awning set-up for both hot/sunny and wind/rainy conditions. The difficulty is in finding someone with an industrial sewing machine willing to sew the kador strip to the ripstop nylon at a sensible price.

I finally had mine made by a local sail company who were looking to get into the camping products market.
It is a sheet with eyelets and kador sewn along one edge. It weighs a little more and is slightly thicker so less translucent which I prefer. The other products are more translucent which I don't like but this is personal preference. Cost me £40 as a one off product. I inherited two poles which help with the install. Approx 3m x 4m. Perfect size for my needs. Will post photos when I get a chance.

I bought a Reimo Sun canopy for my T4 Bilbos camper and use that as a second awning on the LH side or use as an extension to my fiamma wind out awning

John

Ewan said:
I looked into awning and canopies in quite some detail, looking for the kind of flexible canopies that you see in continental Europe. The optional rollout awning is fine for certain circumstances but I can see the need for something much more flexible that could give more shelter (sun/wind/rain) - and also be used on either side of the van.

My current solution is the canopy from Lightning Leisure (the medium tarp) http://www.lightningleisure.com/acatalo ... nopys.html. It's actually a standard Gelert tarp that Lighning Leisure modify to add the 6mm kador strip (and much larger and practical than the Bus Shelter).
:thanks Excellent just the sort of thing I'm looking for. With just the two of us I want it for the shade and a bit of outdoor living space. Also extends the boundary a bit on the passenger side :p .

From my experience the Gelert Stuff is pretty good and about half the price of some of the trendy brands such as North Face and Mountain Hardware. At that price it seems a good deal too.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, the Gelert canopy seems pretty good quality. I've yet to really experiment much with it - looking forward to 2014. It does need some adjustable poles to really make the most of it.

Calicasas - I also looked at sailcloth but with no sail company anywhere close I didn't go down this route. I'd be interested to see a photo though. Which company did you use, just out of interest ?

Ewan