Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scorpion S5 tracker with or without + (remote immobilisation)

C

Carabiner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

Planning on getting one of these for our new van. Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of getting the plus option (£100 or so for remote immobilisation)?

Thanks in advance, Terry

The Scorpion tracker and immobiliser works fine, there is a UK based call centre is 24/7 and helpful, and gives reassurance. We save about 5% on our insurance - although it wasn‘t a requirement at the time. The installation was done on our drive and took around 90 minutes. There’s a phone app to act as an enabling tag, plus you get 2 physical tags.

Downsides? Bad experiences? Not many.
When starting the engine it takes 2 key turns. The installer said it would take one but there was a 2 second delay. It doesn’t, it take 2 key turns 90% of the time.

If you have work done on the van involving disconnection of the battery, give the call centre a call first as they’ll get an alert. I forgot the first time, and had a call from the call centre within minutes, asking if I was aware the van was being tampered with! They really were on the case.

If you travel on a ferry, you might get a text alert asking if you are with your vehicle. You send back Y/N (or like it) so Scorpion don’t escalate to the Police. About 4 times in the last 18 months. Again, comforting.

About 6 months after fitting, one of our immobiliser tags failed when on a trip. I think we’d dropped a bunch of house keys with it on. As it happened, the phone tag software also was not active, so we were stuck temporarily, unable the start. A call to the call centre sorted this quickly - they can remotely unblock the immobiliser, and a new tag came next day. While we’d prefer not be be stuck (at Toddington Services) it was a useful test of the immobiliser and remote operation. As I understand, remote immobilisation is undertaken in cooperation with the Police, to ensure the vehicle is stopped safely. I’d definitely buy this option though - so remote unblocking can also be done.

Do we have any regrets punching? No.

We bought direct from Scorpion. Its worth checking with Scorpion if there are any available discounts for certain insurers or club memberships. This can make them cheaper than third party resellers.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Planning on getting one of these for our new van. Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of getting the plus option (£100 or so for remote immobilisation)?

Thanks in advance, Terry
Is the remote immobilisation where the police van authorise the call centre to immobilise the vehicle whilst it’s actively being tracked ? For £100 seems worth it if it means that the engine can be “killed” whilst any thief is mobile in it. We have the Vodafone tracker on ours, and that feature just came as part of the package.

Is the remote immobilisation where the police van authorise the call centre to immobilise the vehicle whilst it’s actively being tracked ? For £100 seems worth it if it means that the engine can be “killed” whilst any thief is mobile in it. We have the Vodafone tracker on ours, and that feature just came as part of the package.
Yeah, agreed. If I understand correctly that's the difference with the 'plus' option. We plan on keeping the van for a good while so the lifetime subscription is attractive, no-one else seems to offer this.

The Scorpion tracker and immobiliser works fine, there is a UK based call centre is 24/7 and helpful, and gives reassurance. We save about 5% on our insurance - although it wasn‘t a requirement at the time. The installation was done on our drive and took around 90 minutes. There’s a phone app to act as an enabling tag, plus you get 2 physical tags.

Downsides? Bad experiences? Not many.
When starting the engine it takes 2 key turns. The installer said it would take one but there was a 2 second delay. It doesn’t, it take 2 key turns 90% of the time.

If you have work done on the van involving disconnection of the battery, give the call centre a call first as they’ll get an alert. I forgot the first time, and had a call from the call centre within minutes, asking if I was aware the van was being tampered with! They really were on the case.

If you travel on a ferry, you might get a text alert asking if you are with your vehicle. You send back Y/N (or like it) so Scorpion don’t escalate to the Police. About 4 times in the last 18 months. Again, comforting.

About 6 months after fitting, one of our immobiliser tags failed when on a trip. I think we’d dropped a bunch of house keys with it on. As it happened, the phone tag software also was not active, so we were stuck temporarily, unable the start. A call to the call centre sorted this quickly - they can remotely unblock the immobiliser, and a new tag came next day. While we’d prefer not be be stuck (at Toddington Services) it was a useful test of the immobiliser and remote operation. As I understand, remote immobilisation is undertaken in cooperation with the Police, to ensure the vehicle is stopped safely. I’d definitely buy this option though - so remote unblocking can also be done.

Do we have any regrets punching? No.

We bought direct from Scorpion. Its worth checking with Scorpion if there are any available discounts for certain insurers or club memberships. This can make them cheaper than third party resellers.

Hope this helps.
Just re-reading this, do you think it's just your van that needs to turn the ignition twice to start it, or have you heard from others that this happens too? That sounds like a pain/design problem.

Just re-reading this, do you think it's just your van that needs to turn the ignition twice to start it, or have you heard from others that this happens too? That sounds like a pain/design problem.
No idea I’m afraid. The fitter said that customers commented that the engine doesn’t start first turn, but to allow a couple of seconds and it does. It doesn’t actually. But, to be honest it doesn’t bother us.

Thanks for that. Another guy messaged me about their experiences. They don’t have the twice turn to start issue. It would be a paper cut for me, but that’s my ocd probably. If you’re still warranty’ed, you might want to pursue it. I guess if it doesn’t bother you, all cool.

Thanks again, Terry

Ha - so I’ve looked at how we start the van. If you put the key in and immediately turn to start, 2 starts needed. If you put the key in, count ONE, TWO, then turn to start, it fires up first go.

Ha - so I’ve looked at how we start the van. If you put the key in and immediately turn to start, 2 starts needed. If you put the key in, count ONE, TWO, then turn to start, it fires up first go.
If you put the key in and immediately turn to start, is your glow plug symbol still on? Mine would still be on.

Back