Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Routine cam belt replacement interval?

This sounds like a candidate for group compensation claim. It must be tricky for VWUK to demonstrate their 4 year policy was justified.

As a TSI owner, mine has a timing chain, and they told me my cam belt was due for replacement at 4 years too.

Ok, so same point but directed at VW UK. What’s changed?
I suspect that the fact that the official VW service schedule without time limits has been discussed both here and on the T6 forum has made VWCM UK realize that the scam is over.

This sounds like a candidate for group compensation claim. It must be tricky for VWUK to demonstrate their 4 year policy was justified.

As a TSI owner, mine has a timing chain, and they told me my cam belt was due for replacement at 4 years too.
I would say anyone expecting VW to cough up compensation....Good Luck with that one.

I would say anyone expecting VW to cough up compensation....Good Luck with that one.
I was thinking more of group litigation, some legal firm might think they could make a fortune off this. VW just coughed up £193 million in England and Wales for dieselgate.

I was thinking more of group litigation, some legal firm might think they could make a fortune off this. VW just coughed up £193 million in England and Wales for dieselgate.
I don’t think you can compare the diesel scandal with VW recommended service intervals. They would just say they were being overly “Cautious”

I don’t think you can compare the diesel scandal with VW recommended service intervals. They would just say they were being overly “Cautious”
Overly cautious at their customers expense. They would need to justify why they needed to overrule the manufacturer recconendations in court. This has probably earnt them millions upon millions across the fleet, for no real benefit to their customers. Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Overly cautious at their customers expense. They would need to justify why they needed to overrule the manufacturer recconendations in court. This has probably earnt them millions upon millions across the fleet, for no real benefit to their customers. Sounds like a lawsuit to me.
Is there a definite decision countrywide that the 4 year rule no longer applies ? Is it only for the latest vans off the line or does it cover back to older ones ? Is this official or just one dealers opinion?

Have you ever tried to take a corporation like VAG to court. There needs to at least a slight chance you could win.
If you have bottomless pockets then give it a try. I can guarantee 100% you will have no chance whatsoever.

Have you ever tried to take a corporation like VAG to court. There needs to at least a slight chance you could win.
If you have bottomless pockets then give it a try. I can guarantee 100% you will have no chance whatsoever.
Ok, well class action lawsuits are a thing and are often successful as demonstrated recently by dieselgate. I am not a lawyer though but you must be so I’ll defer to your expertise.

My van hasn’t got a cam belt so I couldn’t care less either way.

Is there a definite decision countrywide that the 4 year rule no longer applies ? Is it only for the latest vans off the line or does it cover back to older ones ? Is this official or just one dealers opinion?
All good questions.

My concern over the early cambelt changes was the constant removal of water pumps and the potential of some vw mechanic over tightening and causing leaks on the crankshaft oil seal less interference with the engine the better in my eyes

There seems to be a number of people on the T6 forum that have had the same phone call. I doubt it’s going to be just for the later models, this would make things very complicated. So T5 every 4 years and T6 every 10 years is unlikely.

I'm booked into Liverpool Van Centre on the 21'st for a 4 year service, brake fluid change and Timing belt / water pump. LVC have advised me this morning of the changes which removed the time limit and is now distance only.

I'm booked into Liverpool Van Centre on the 21'st for a 4 year service, brake fluid change and Timing belt / water pump. LVC have advised me this morning of the changes which removed the time limit and is now distance only.
Hi, what year / model is your van ?

So the EU have been doing it right all along. The 4 year requirement was ludicrous. At my rate of use the Cali will have less than 15000km by the time the 4 anniversary is reached.

Does anyone know if this applies only to T-series or does this change apply to the passenger vehicles also? I have a 2015 Golf Estate and 2015 Golf GTE on both of which VW want to change cambelts and waterpump. Both are under 50k miles and they're quoting £1300+ a piece!

Dont know and wasnt sure if this applied to the T5.

However note the slight wording change in the guidance from VW on their website.

Sorry if I’ve missed something but what is VW’s recommended mileage limit?

210k kilometres. Or 130k miles.
That is pushing it. I sold a 2007 Audi B4 with 98K miles. The recommended cam belt service per Audi was 110K miles. The buyer drove it from Dallas to St Louis and 10 miles from home the belt failed causing the pistons to hit the valves and grenade the engine. Now he was ragging on it and even red lined the engine during the test drive, which I was none too chuffed about.
Personally I would get it inspected every couple of years and change around 80K. The health of the water pump would be a concern beyond that mileage and if you're doing one may as well do the other at the same time. My 2c.

Back